Longer 6th Gear Mod (Some Results)

gaza4

Advanced Member
So I'm looking at getting some gearbox work done here in ireland by Icetronix. A service they offer for k20 type r boxes is a longer 6th gear (from an accord i think)
This will decrease RPM by around 700-900 so instead of sitting at 4000rpm at 120km/h it would be closer to 3000.
Cost is €160 for supply and fit of the longer gear, obviously if thats the only work I was getting done it would be more but since the box is already out its cheaper.
According to the guys in Icetronix I will make back my money in fuel economy quite easily.
Anyone done this/heard of it done. Any feedback, pros/cons???

Rob R

Advanced Member
160 is surely the supply only cost? It's a days labour for box out and strip down. Worth doing though, will get your money back in better fuel consumption.

gaza4

Advanced Member
Rob R said:
160 is surely the supply only cost? It's a days labour for box out and strip down. Worth doing though, will get your money back in better fuel consumption.
as i said i will be getting other gearbox work done hence the cheap price

integraleo

Advanced Member
I think I'm going to get this done when I get carbon syncros fitted ( probably next year now along with new clutch) will offset lower economy of the charger to some degree. Also lower cabin noise on long journeys too. If I was still NA I would have fitted shorter final drive but I don't need to anymore. Long story short ye do it

Rob R

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
as i said i will be getting other gearbox work done hence the cheap price
Sorry bud missed that bit out. If box is already apart then no brainer, Im due to have one fitted along with 2nd gear synchro hub and 5.3 FD

Gareth88

Advanced Member
I've just had this done at TGM with the mfactory master rebuild fit, lighter flywheel, and 5.3 final drive and loving it! Even with the final drive Im noticing better mpg when your not hooning around

gaza4

Advanced Member
would love to be able to look into getting a new final drive but unfortunately the funds arent available at the moment...

gaza4

Advanced Member
so i got the longer 6th gear installed the other day, it seems pretty good so far, much quieter cruising on main roads and on the motorway. Its a bit of an odd feeling going from 5th to 6th now because the RPM drops that much more and the power band is obviously not as smooth but its not that big of an issue.

Unfortunately i didnt get to make any notes before the work was done but anyone with the standard gear will know themselves. Anyway heres my RPMs at a few common speeds in KMPH

50KM/H 1400RPM
60KM/H 1700RPM
80KM/H 2200RPM
100KM/H 2800RPM
120KM/H 3300RPM

Just a few thoughts
50KM/H is a little sluggish in 6th gear now so dropping to 5th is probly the best thing
120KM/H from memory was close to 4000RPM so thats a nice drop that should see me save a few quid

Once I've run a few tanks of fuel through the car i will have a better idea how much per tank I am saving and be able to figure out how long it will take for the new gear to pay for itself!!!