Looking for a clutch

PalfyR

Advanced Member
Hi guys I've got a spoon 5.1 drive on it way from Japan and was thinking when the box is out it would be a good idea to change the clutch. The current clutch seems fine but think its worth changing now as I don't know how many miles are on it. So my question is where's the best place to get an oem clutch from and do you have any idea how long a garage should take to install it all?

Cheers guys

martinj46

Advanced Member
I had my clucth changed a few weeks ago. I got them to change the flywheel at the same time and in total it was about 5 hours labour.

I'd definitley recommend a lightened flywheel. I was a bit dubious at first, having never tried one before, but it's made a massive difference to the speed that the engine revs

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Unless you have a turbo or do a lot of drag racing then the oem clutch from Honda is perfect and only about £150.
Given the labour involved in a clutch change, since your taking the box out anyway it, in my opinion, would be silly not to put a new clutch in too.

PalfyR

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Unless you have a turbo or do a lot of drag racing then the oem clutch from Honda is perfect and only about £150.
Given the labour involved in a clutch change, since your taking the box out anyway it, in my opinion, would be silly not to put a new clutch in too.
Makes sense doesn't it!!
Best place to buy one?

PalfyR

Advanced Member
martinj46 said:
I had my clucth changed a few weeks ago. I got them to change the flywheel at the same time and in total it was about 5 hours labour.

I'd definitley recommend a lightened flywheel. I was a bit dubious at first, having never tried one before, but it's made a massive difference to the speed that the engine revs
Have you had any problems with stalling as I've heard this can happen if you have a lighter fly?

martinj46

Advanced Member
PalfyR said:
Have you had any problems with stalling as I've heard this can happen if you have a lighter fly?
I heard similar things, hence I was a bit hesitant to do it. I've not stalled it since it was fitted, and don't find it any more difficult to drive, even around town.

PalfyR

Advanced Member
martinj46 said:
I heard similar things, hence I was a bit hesitant to do it. I've not stalled it since it was fitted, and don't find it any more difficult to drive, even around town.
Which fly did you buy?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
If it were me I'd seriously think about getting an uprated clutch of some kind, won't be a lot more expensive than the OEM Honda clutch either and gear changes are much nicer especially when you're gunning it.

I know lots on here say the OEM is good for 300bhp that it may be but it's about the 'feel' of a performance clutch. I had an Excedy organic clutch in my CRX VTEC and I loved it. When my goes I'll be upgrading to a performance once, something like a Helix or other make.

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
I'm pretty sure we have a lightweight flywheel from standard. At least looked that way when mine was apart ???

martinj46

Advanced Member
PalfyR said:
Which fly did you buy?
I got a Fidanza flywheel from Tegiwa. As Tara says, the OEM flywheel is lightened already, but aftermarket ones are lighter again.

PalfyR

Advanced Member
Would the fly improve acceleration? I'm fitting a final drive as well to improve acceleration 😊

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
They can improve acceleration but bear in mind that also means faster deceleration so you need to be a quickshifter

PalfyR

Advanced Member
TARA J said:
They can improve acceleration but bear in mind that also means faster deceleration so you need to be a quickshifter
Ok will bear that in mind cheers