Looking to buy a DC5 in the near future

moody_mage

Hi all,

New member here, I've finally decided to buy a DC5 as it ticks all the boxes I've been looking for (sporty/4 seats/Japanese reliability/great looking) and was hoping to see if there are any recommended cars out there as well as ones to avoid.

I'm kinda new to the whole scene and never really owned anything particularly powerful but am really looking forward to getting stuck in. I've read through the buyers guide on this forum and picked up some very useful info.

Ideally I'm looking for a stock or lightly modified 'teg, preferably blue or black at around the £7k mark. Obviously I'd like it to be as clean and low mileage as possible within reason. I've found a couple on gumtree/pistonheads/ebay but if I'm completely honest I'm not sure which ones are raising red flags and which look trustworthy so would appreciate any feedback.

I'm not too sure of the rules of the forum so I won't post direct links up. I guess this post is more to see if anyone here is selling something that would be suitable. I live in kent but am happy to travel for the right car.

Cheers in advance!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all,

New member here, I've finally decided to buy a DC5 as it ticks all the boxes I've been looking for (sporty/4 seats/Japanese reliability/great looking) and was hoping to see if there are any recommended cars out there as well as ones to avoid.

I'm kinda new to the whole scene and never really owned anything particularly powerful but am really looking forward to getting stuck in. I've read through the buyers guide on this forum and picked up some very useful info.

Ideally I'm looking for a stock or lightly modified 'teg, preferably blue or black at around the £7k mark. Obviously I'd like it to be as clean and low mileage as possible within reason. I've found a couple on gumtree/pistonheads/ebay but if I'm completely honest I'm not sure which ones are raising red flags and which look trustworthy so would appreciate any feedback.

I'm not too sure of the rules of the forum so I won't post direct links up. I guess this post is more to see if anyone here is selling something that would be suitable. I live in kent but am happy to travel for the right car.

Cheers in advance!
Firstly welcome to the forum, when looking for a good example buy 100% on condition and it's reputation/the owners reputation over mileage always, a low miles garage queen can be a lot worse to buy than a used DC5 with a great service history and more miles.

For your budget I would keep an eye on the for sale are on here and work from there, look through peoples build threads as these will also help show the attention to detail a car's received and any changes / fixes it's had over the years.

There are no issues with posting links up in this area to the general chat area asking if people know of a car etc so any you see pass our way and if anyone knows it or of it having a good or bad past we will be able to advise :)

Great decision and choice of car imo, I have been close to selling mine a few times now but unless something really special comes up I don't think I can, unless the price was right of course.

Carl

moody_mage

Appreciate the advice!

These are the ones which seem to fall within my budget;

This one is listed on PH and ebay (PA04 FJY). The rust mentioned on the arches concernes me a bit with this one, however it being lightly modified is a bonus.
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/integra/honda-integra-type-r-2004-c-pack/8908995
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-04-HONDA-INTEGRA-TYPE-R-DC5-NIGHTHAWK-BLACK-C-PACK-JDM/273412304798

Gumtree (Y534 MES), this one seems clean from the description and also has a cat 1 alarm fitted
https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/dc5-integra-type-r/1309815024

This one from this forum (Y443 ONP), looks smart with losts of work done including a fairly recent engine rebuild. High miles though - still for sale at the right price apparently :)
http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/48134-arctic-blue-2001-dc5-for-sale/

This one also from this forum (WD53 YHE) - I don't know if it is still up for sale though - it mentions hard engine mounts which produce interior vibrations, is this easy to rectify as excessive interior rattles are a pet hate of mine?
http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/47587-reduced-%C2%A37500-2003-nighthawk-black-c-pack-83000/

Thanks for any feedback!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
moody_mage said:
Appreciate the advice!

These are the ones which seem to fall within my budget;

This one is listed on PH and ebay (PA04 FJY). The rust mentioned on the arches concernes me a bit with this one, however it being lightly modified is a bonus.
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/integra/honda-integra-type-r-2004-c-pack/8908995
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-04-HONDA-INTEGRA-TYPE-R-DC5-NIGHTHAWK-BLACK-C-PACK-JDM/273412304798

Gumtree (Y534 MES), this one seems clean from the description and also has a cat 1 alarm fitted
https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/dc5-integra-type-r/1309815024

This one from this forum (Y443 ONP), looks smart with losts of work done including a fairly recent engine rebuild. High miles though - still for sale at the right price apparently :)
http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/48134-arctic-blue-2001-dc5-for-sale/

This one also from this forum (WD53 YHE) - I don't know if it is still up for sale though - it mentions hard engine mounts which produce interior vibrations, is this easy to rectify as excessive interior rattles are a pet hate of mine?
http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/47587-reduced-£7500-2003-nighthawk-black-c-pack-83000/

Thanks for any feedback!
Firstly avoid the first one as the adverts do not tally up at all, Pistonheads says it was imported into the UK in 2008 (10 yrears ago), the ebay advert says it came into the UK when it was 16 months old so I would not trust anything on this car (mileage or anything) as the adverts don't match. the MOT's online show it was first MOT'd (which was the registration MOT into the UK on 5 March 2008) and MPH conversion would have taken place then and the odometer 90% changed to show the cars TRUE mileage in miles so the 17,324 miles is more than likely true and NOT KMS which means the car would be on 111,849 miles now and not a mix as the advert states (which I believe would be another lie tbh after seeing the issues between his two adverts).

If the adverts were inline and the mileage was still 111,849 miles then I would never rule it out but the advert issues would be a concern imo

The second one says TGM have worked on it so call them and see if Tom knows the car and what he has to say about it and it's condition

The third one I can't see the pics here at work it's been blocked so cannot comment at present
The forth one I have previously spoken to Proctor and seemed like a nice owner

The last two IMO are by far the best options from what I can see and rear so far.

moody_mage

Perfect - I'll cross off the first one then.

I've pinged an email over to TM Motorsport for more detail regarding No.2 - I can't call today due to work

I too would be inclined to go for the third or fourth option. 4 in particular seems more suited as it seems more stock. However 3 has had a ton of TLC applied including a recent engine rebuild and a lot of other niggles sorted out - I'm just a bit wary of those high miles.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
moody_mage said:
Perfect - I'll cross off the first one then.

I've pinged an email over to TM Motorsport for more detail regarding No.2 - I can't call today due to work

I too would be inclined to go for the third or fourth option. 4 in particular seems more suited as it seems more stock. However 3 has had a ton of TLC applied including a recent engine rebuild and a lot of other niggles sorted out - I'm just a bit wary of those high miles.
TGM are very very busy so email replies maybe slow, worth calling when you can tbh, I am there Saturday so if you want me to ask anything about it I can if I am there long enough.

Forget mileage mate honestly if it drives fine it will be fine, too mnay get hung up on having low milesage (don't forget with the age of these cars it prob is low mileage), people think low mileage means 60/70 or 80-85K) those days are gone as that was when engines were not made to last, the B18 and K20's form Honda last and if maintained will last longer than the rest of the car.

Low mileage IMO means under 12000 miles a year for the length of it's life as (unless it's changed since I last knew) the national average was 12K miles a year.

e.g mines on 95.8K, it's 16yrs old and so covered just under 6K a year since it was built, people buy these as they are drivers cars meaning most will be driven.

Jono Poon's is a prime example, it's on 144K I believe and maintained far more than many others on the scene and is up for sale, but you don't want CW else I would recommend it

moody_mage

TGM - would be really helpful. I'll try to make a call today but reception is shocking at work and constantly drops off. BTW - your car is looking amazing. Great work!

My main reason for not wanting a CW is because I'm not too keen on keeping a white car, plus there is actually a CW one which is parked fairly regularly around the corner from me (in Tunbridge Wells). I'll see if I can snag the reg number next time I see it :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
moody_mage said:
TGM - would be really helpful. I'll try to make a call today but reception is shocking at work and constantly drops off. BTW - your car is looking amazing. Great work!

My main reason for not wanting a CW is because I'm not too keen on keeping a white car, plus there is actually a CW one which is parked fairly regularly around the corner from me (in Tunbridge Wells). I'll see if I can snag the reg number next time I see it :)
No problem, if I can help when there let me know, thanks reg my car, close to selling it myself at the moment but not fully decided on whether too or not and CW isn't that hard to keep clean mate, black is worse lol... It's onlt CW wheels I find a pain

Oh mmm, trying to remember the guy's name but there is one in Tun Wells, and sounds like we are local as I am in West Malling mate

bennn

Advanced Member
I owned Y442 ONP before the current owner.

Pretty straight car and I think Leon has only improved it since then.

I wouldn't let the mileage put you off especially given that he's rebuilt the engine!

I'd buy it back only I definitely want a white one again!

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
The second one, Y534 MES was owned by a good friend of mine and member on here phil r type. Give him a message dude.

Phil r type

Advanced Member
Yep y534 Mes is my old car ! All though a bit old now There is a build on here from when it was super fly's also . Pm me dude any questions you have :) more than happy to help

moody_mage

Don't suppose you have the link to that build thread? I've had a poke around and can't seem to see it...

[EDIT] Found the 'For Sale' topic, doesn't seem to be much more than that

carl hammond

Advanced Member

moody_mage

Top man - thanks for that, TBH I wish it still had those wheels. I much prefer the anthracite OEM style rims to the blacked out Rota slipsteams currently on :D

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
I see the 2nd one around Calne often and the garage next door to where I work fit the clutch a few weeks ago. Car looks good and tidy. The black wheels on the Blue suit it really well. You can tell it has a 3" exhaust on it though as it seems loud.

You can be sure it has a genuine proper MOT on it too as the garage is very thorough.

moody_mage

Cheers for the info. I've been having a good whatsapp chat with the owner and he seems a nice guy. He mentioned the MOT tester was trying hard to find issues with it!

Possibly I might have to think about a smaller exhaust in the future - the kids will love it though :D