Loosening up dirt - wash pre-treatment

larz

Advanced Member
I'm looking to get a product that loosens up dirt before i attack it... I want to be able to rinse off excess build up before i get a sponge to it (and create beautiful swirly patterns). I have tried power washing but the dirt builds up too hard and i don't want to blast my paint with too much force... Surely there's some spray that'll cause the dirt to let go from the paint.

I wash the car every week but it's a big chore and i don't want to rub dirt into the paint. I'm driving about 1200km a week at the moment, so the dirt builds up pretty fast :(

Thanks in advance...

larz

Advanced Member
That looks like exactly what i'm looking for... Any alternatives also appreciated. Also, any recommendations in power washers are also welcome...

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Normally I just wash it down and get as much off as I can with a hose, but if it was really bad I would be tempted to pressure wash it, they are absolutely fine when used correctly, always 45 degree angle from the paint and follow the guidelines on how far from the panel it should be used.

larz

Advanced Member
The stuff that gets on my car is very fine dirt... I've tried straight power washing with some decent shampoo but it just left streaks of 'slightly less dirty'. I don't want it to be a big chore every week... I don't like the idea of blasting dirt off my car...

blueguy

Resident J's whore
If you want the snowfoam to be effective, mix in some Megs APC. However this will strip any wax you've put on the car.

Rob R

Advanced Member
I got a cheap small Karcher off ebay for about £35 delivered from the Karcher outlet store. Refurbed but comes with 6 months warranty.

The lance I use is an Autobrite one with their brand of snowfoam called Magifoam. Goes on like shaving foam and dwells off after about 10 minutes. Pressure wash off and you'll be surprised how much crap it takes off. Perfect in the summer when cars just dusty, saves getting the bucket and "sponge" out.

larz

Advanced Member
yeah i have a sheepskin mit... This is great feedback guys...

anyone have experience with hard and soft water? I heard that makes a difference...

Josh16v

Advanced Member
I live in an industrial town, and the water is extremly hard!
As long as you leave it to dwell, but not not let it dry, you shouldn't have problems.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
wait... so after spraying the car with the snow foam you just rinse it off and then dry it?
i also double took...... :xaiweb5:

I have a triple coat of collinite on my car atm which should hopefully last me all through winter, im trying to wash my car weekly so i get rid of the road film as much as possible as its this that makes the car dirty and dull.

I jet my car down all over to get it good and soaked and take the majority of the crap off, i then do the wheels and power wash them all over, currently got white wheels on the 5 and this makes life hard and easy lol. I then snow foam the car all over with this:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pa-foam-lance-cat2.html

And megs hyper wash, this makes my car super bright white! also its important to note that none of the stuff i use is harmful to the enviroment, the major megs items i use are hyperwash and shampoo plus and they are both biodegradable :xwavey:

While the snow foam gets to work i use 4 buckets (yes i know pretty over the top but its 2 different sets of 2BM (2 bucket method)) I use 2 rinse and 2 wash and fill them up with cold water and then i go at the wheels first with a megs microfiber washmitt rinsing after each corner and moving to the next.

Then i change to the other 2 buckets and use my megs sheepskin wool mitt which is amazing and does a really good job, you just gotta get it to foam and its a star product, its probably explained here alot more difficult than it actually is, all in it takes aroun 2 hours with setting up and putting away and procrastination due to cold weather :xClubbed: