Loss of power :(

Linus27

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I accelerated fairly quickly away from some lights tonight in first, got to about 5k revs and then a sudden loss of power. No throttle response at all. Came of the accelerator, dipped the clutched, blipped the throttle a few times and all back to normal.

Anyone got any ideas what this might had been?

Car has just been mapped by Romain a few weeks ago so not sure if related or not.

Phil r type

Advanced Member
Mine did that after I changed the oil , even when it was up to temp . just did it that one time then was fine :)

Linus27

Advanced Member
Phil r type said:
Mine did that after I changed the oil , even when it was up to temp . just did it that one time then was fine :)
That's interesting as I topped my oil up on Sunday evening. I had also just filled the car up with Tesco 99 tonight 1 minute before it happened but I still had some left in so not like it had run empty.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Sounds almost as though the limiter cut in that stops you from over revving when stationery. Not sure how it works though. Seems a bit suspect that it's just been mapped though. I'm sure Mark_teg had similar right after remain mapped his too although I'm not sure if he had anything changed or it just went away?

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thanks David, not sure about the warming up as I had driven from Camberley to Farnborough. Then to Blackwater to fill up. Then started to head back to Camberley. So possibly driving for around 20 mins.

The limiter sounds possible though. I will see if it happens again and if so, speak to Tom at TGM and Romain.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
did you top up your oil when the engine is warm? it needs to be on the max mark when warm really, its possible there wasnt enough oil and vtec didnt engage, it will also not engage if the engine is on cold start (which it shouldnt be after a 20 min run and a fuel stop)

dave c

400hp K20
Could be something as obscure as a bad earth or faulty connection on the kpro maybe.

Linus27

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
did you top up your oil when the engine is warm? it needs to be on the max mark when warm really, its possible there wasnt enough oil and vtec didnt engage, it will also not engage if the engine is on cold start (which it shouldnt be after a 20 min run and a fuel stop)
I think it was this. I drove this morning for about 15 mins to let the engine warm up and then checked the oil and low and behold, just a few drops on the bottom of the dipstick :xaiweb6: So I have now purchased some Castrol Edge 10w60 and topped it back up. So, fingers crossed it was this. Seems the most likley senario but I will keep you posted. Maybe since the remap, I have been getting a bit VTEC happy more than I realised and been using a fair bit more oil :xgrin:

Many thanks for the advice everyone.

justJDM

Advanced Member
Your lucky not to have done your bottom end, k20 hate being run low on oil. Whats your oil consumption like?

Linus27

Advanced Member
justJDM said:
Your lucky not to have done your bottom end, k20 hate being run low on oil. Whats your oil consumption like?
Oil consumption has been ok so far. I have only had the car since April and it has had a service by TGM in between then and now and I have not had to top at all. This is why I checked on Sunday night. Probably a combination of getting a remap and having too much fun with VTEC and used more oil than normal. I will keep an eye on it.

integraleo

Advanced Member
If it was holding around 4500 revs romain sets launch control at those revs normally and from first gear If your foot is still lightly on clutch it will hit limiter. I've done this a few times when accelerating quickly from first gear.

raz786

Advanced Member
Did it completely lose throttle response? And only recovered after dipping the clutch? Another possibility could be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) being on its way out. A few cases of that recently for some reason.

Linus27

Advanced Member
raz786 said:
Did it completely lose throttle response? And only recovered after dipping the clutch? Another possibility could be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) being on its way out. A few cases of that recently for some reason.
Yes, totally lost throttle. No throttle whatsoever as if the engine had cut out but it didnt free wheel. The nose of the car dipped as in a severe case of engine braking. Dipped the clutch, tried the throttle again and the revs came back.The engine didn't cut out though.

Linus27

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
If it was holding around 4500 revs romain sets launch control at those revs normally and from first gear If your foot is still lightly on clutch it will hit limiter. I've done this a few times when accelerating quickly from first gear.
I only had a K100 so I shouldn't have launch control I thought.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Yes you will have I have k100 too and romain puts it on all of them. Select first gear hold clutch down and floor throttle,it will bounce off 4500 rpm

Linus27

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Yes you will have I have k100 too and romain puts it on all of them. Select first gear hold clutch down and floor throttle,it will bounce off 4500 rpm
Ah ok, thanks, will try that. Maybe I did have my foot on the clutch a bit.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Probably,it's easily done when you're getting ready for a quick gear change into second. Done it myself a few times.

Linus27

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Probably,it's easily done when you're getting ready for a quick gear change into second. Done it myself a few times.
It does sound very plausible. If anything, it got me to check my oil level :)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I had that happen to me a few times when I had launch control enabled.
You set an rpm limit and a maximum speed for launch control to be active. So as others have said it's likely the clutch is still slightly disengaged, meaning you will hit the rpm limit before the maximum speed, e.g 4mph or so.

Above the maximum speed it won't engage, so it is only likely to happen in 1St in most conditions.

I disabled mine because it happened on a roundabout and a junction, not nice when it cuts out mid way ha!