Lost 30hp 6k+ rpm

TDi-North

What was the problem in the end?

Will let Luke post up before and afters and his thoughts. Car breaks traction from 3500rpm on low cam now and pulls all the way.
Could do with a better intake pipe as the Samco one is collapsing as I have seen on a few cars and could probably benefit from a higher flow exhaust. Made 280bhp at the end of tuning when hot which is consistant with that spec of motor we have seen on other cars.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
A few tweaks here and there and she's been transformed. Luke took me out in it today and it pulls so hard from as low as 2000rpm and at 5700 wow. Left mine dead on a pull and mines no slouch!! Glad you got it sorted in the end Luke, Time to Enjoy :xvtec:

I now need to move forward with mine with a nice little project in 2012 :xhaha:

lee76

Advanced Member
Good to hear it is sorted. Ian builds a stonking unit the only place to go for an engine in my opinion :xvtec:

TDi-North

Just posting Luke's dyno up on his behalf. Solid line was immediately after tune when it was running fine and the dotted is now since its lost power.

Was comparing the curves I got and even though its on a hub dyno you can see the similarity with what we saw with the shape of the curves.

I was going to wait for Luke to post this but I have been badgered by Clockwise the last few days to post something to stop the rumours going around that it was anything to do with the engine build. A lot of people use Ian for his experience in K20 builds and suggestions that timings have moved and there could be head problems have been affecting his business and ours. I have made no secret that we use him for doing certain blockwork jobs we can't do here and to have people calling up having on-going projects with us seeing threads like this just gets people unecessarily worried.

I have seen quite a lot of these motors in the past few years and the cams are a good fast road one that makes monster torque on low cam, tails back slightly then rises quickly as you change to hi-cam. They benefit massively from a good intake and a recent tune I did with the same cams but on a 2.1 sleaved motor that Ian had also done, running Toda ITB's made a massive 287bhp and 206ftlb! It looked like a supercharger curve and sound is insane!

So. Please don't be put off by anything that has had Ian at Clockwise breathing on. ;)

Here is the before and after dyno graph.

Don't be fooled by the wavy torque curve on low cam. To put it into perspective a tuned car will make 150ft/lb pre-vtec. This is 170ft/lb at 3500rpm then fell back slightly before rising again at 5000rpm.
Vtec point on the dotted curve was at 4200 with no window. Optimum was actually 5700. :xgrin:

TDi-North

Short of posting the calibrations I can't see what more can be shown with regard specifics ??
238 on a hub Dyno.... Add say 10% and your not far off what we saw when the car came in.

Bear in mind also the dotted plot (before) was with the car cold. Solid line is very hot and at the end of re calibrating.

There is nothing wrong with the motor, fuel or ignition systems. :)