Loud rhythmic humming noise mainly when I lift off?

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Originally I noticed it at very low speed when pulling into my drive but it started getting worse. I took it to a garage where they examined for a while and couldn’t replicate it. After a bit of prompting by me they got it to produce the noise. They couldn’t work out what it was. Not a bearing or stuck brake etc. They said not dangerous and maybe keep going till it gets worse?!? It was very hard to tell where it was coming from. If anything it seemed to be coming from the centre.

I think it is starting to get more frequent. It seems to occur when I ease off the accelerator esp. when going up a v slight incline even at greater speed e.g. 60mph.

At slow speed it is a slow rhythmic metallic hum (Like you can get from a warped bike wheel catching the brake as it goes round). At faster speed it more constant and I can detect a bit of vibration.

Today coming home from work on the motorway it was quite loud as I kept having to ease off due to traffic. It’s starting to get embarrassing (a car full of birds went by an I had to look the other way).

Any ideas what it could be and does anyone know a good North West garage I could go to?

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Cheers for that. I will look into it. Hopefully it is that as it looks cheap to fix.

I‘m not sure I would call it a rattle though. It‘s more of a rhythmic hum and is only present if the wheels are moving. If they are moving slow it can be very loud like a metallic squealing noise. The garage I took it to thought it could be the LSD. With a £2k quote to fix (and it may not be that) I will give any alternative a try.