Loud vibration

Project

Advanced Member
After having my engine mount inserts fitted, Im starting to get this loud vibration banging sound, at around 2,500rpm and if I turn the wheels at about 2000rpm I get it as well, the car is back in at TGM on saturday as Tom fitted the mounts and said he'll find the problem and sort it out for free, top bloke xthumbsup but If I could sort the problem out myself, would save me a drive and his time.
Any ideas on what it could be?

edit: could it be the pillow ball top mounts or bushes? if so how can you tell there on their way out?

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
I have got a J's ETD fitted too... these have a tendency to work their way loose and make a loud vibrating noise at a certain RPM range which is very noticeable inside the cabin but not when stood over the bonnet - with engine running. At what RPM range it vibrates at depends upon a number of things to create resonance.

I took mine off... tightened it all up and re-fitted using RUBBER washers as spacers between metal fixings and fixtures. Has eliminated it completely.

Sounded worse than it actually was!

Other possibilities.

It could also be the spark plug/ignition coil cover that could be loose and vibrating against the alloy cam/rocker cover...

It could be the plastic I-VTEC fuel rail and injector cover that is loose or tight and vibrating against the alloy inlet manifold...

Or it could also be one of three heat shields that have either worked the mounting bolts loose or have cracked around the mounting bolts. Two on the OE exhaust manifold... and one on the drive-shaft.

Hope that helps.

Project

Advanced Member
The 2 heat sheilds on the OEM mani and fuel rail cover are off already, the heat sheild on the drive shaft is still there though, will take the torque damper off as well. will narrow the problem down abit.
Thanks

Project

Advanced Member
well I removed the torque damper last night, to find the stupid noise was still there :x was really hoping it was that as well.
annoying though is that for about 20mins on the drive back home from work it didnt make a single sound, stupid thing what ever it is.
havn't checked that final heat shield though.
any other ideas guys? :?