Lowering Springs

ally_mac

Advanced Member
Hello fellow DC5 owners, wondering if u can help me out

I am looking to lower my car soon and am lookin 2get coilovers. I dont mind spending up to £1000 on a good set as i want the car to handle well. Only problem is I am lookin 2do a few other things to the car and wud rather do them first, like get a K pro and other engine work, so it may be a while b4 i get the money together 4 coilovers. Wud u recommend me puttin in a set of springs, say Tein or Spoon or something 2tie me over till i get the money 2gether or just stick it out with the standard suspension

Any help is appreciated
Thanx

Duncs

spoon would get my vote, don't think there is much wrong with the standard set up with a set of springs.

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Spoon springs for me too. But is it worth bothering in the short term if your heart's set on coilovers?

ally_mac

Advanced Member
SCOTTIECTR said:
Spoon springs for me too. But is it worth bothering in the short term if your heart's set on coilovers?
i dont no, depends how long it wil take me 2get the money together for a set of coilovers

Wootty

Advanced Member
Spoons are a good compormise though a little bouncy for me (with the standard shocks) on the slow speed bumps. But they do lower it nicely and imporve the handling over the standard setup as we found out with Anton (gzone) on a trackday.

ally_mac

Advanced Member
has any1 got any pics of their motors with the spoon springs and the tein springs just 2c wht they look like

Zero7

Advanced Member
Personally, I would do brakes, suspension first, see how much quicker you can go (around a track) and if need be start on engine mods, it should really be done in that order.

ally_mac

Advanced Member
Zero7 said:
Personally, I would do brakes, suspension first, see how much quicker you can go (around a track) and if need be start on engine mods, it should really be done in that order.
i know wht ur saying zero7, engine wise i wil put the k pro on, manifold gasket, earthing kit and a few other minors bits and pieces, nothin like a supercharger or turbo, so i think the standard brakes and suspension should b able 2cope and quiet a few ppl on this forum r runnin those mods with standard brakes and at most lowering springs.

Just want 2ask every1 opinion on whether its worth lowerin car on tien/spoon spring until i get money 2gether 4 coilovers, say 6months or so, dependin how many bills pop up between now and then

mikegsi

Staff member
i like the way mine rides and sits on the spoons, certainly sits much nicer!

Zero7

Advanced Member
Mine is going onto Tein HA's in the next couple of weeks so I'll be able to let you know what the ride is like.

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
Thanks, this is what it looked like before, and people on here were kind enough to point out that it need lowering :lol:

gaz3434

Advanced Member
ally_mac said:
has any1 got any pics of their motors with the spoon springs and the tein springs just 2c wht they look like
I don't have any pics of mine with the Tein springs in ally but you're welcome to meet me and have a closer look if u want. I got mine from Simon at Cartoyz in Doagh for about £150 fitted and i think that they lower the DC5 nicely. The ride is no less uncomfortable either and i think the handling is slightly better if anything.

Where r u thinking of gettin the K-Pro from? Are there any suppliers in Northern Ireland or are they all in the south?

Tarmac

Advanced Member
the spoon ones look like a good option. although, i've seen some on TEIN and they look the dogs danglies too. there is a new guy on this site from the states and his rsx is on TEIN and it looks really well - sits nice and low.

i'm looking into the Fightex ones from Toda myself but these are crazy money - i'm not having much joy finding a cheaper price than advertised... tbh, they'd want to cut my lawn, make me coffee and service the car for me to justify the dosh they're asking (£2,500)! :shock:

TypeRaidy

gaz3434 said:
ally_mac said:
I don't have any pics of mine with the Tein springs in ally but you're welcome to meet me and have a closer look if u want. I got mine from Simon at Cartoyz in Doagh for about £150 fitted and i think that they lower the DC5 nicely. The ride is no less uncomfortable either and i think the handling is slightly better if anything.

Where r u thinking of gettin the K-Pro from? Are there any suppliers in Northern Ireland or are they all in the south?
Yeah where you getting Kpro,any dealers who can set it up proper in northern ireland?? :?:

ally_mac

Advanced Member
TypeRaidy said:
gaz3434 said:
ally_mac said:

Yeah where you getting Kpro,any dealers who can set it up proper in northern ireland?? :?:
yeah must arrange to meet up gaz as i wudnt mind seein how much the Tien lower the car and wht the ride quality is like.

Need to do a bit of research on the K pro but simon at cartoyz can send your ecu of to get it chipped and he has the software to set it up. The only down side is that he hasnt done many K pro's but he knows his stuff.

sonicboom1

I have Eibachs on mine Came with the car wheni bought it. makes the car handle well but obviously the ride is on the stiffer side. Nothing a nice investment in a cussion wont solve(well thats what ive done!!)

Dont think Eibach springs are too expensive but are top quality kit!!

Just my 2p worth like