LPG Conversion

alg2500

One of my biggest issues for selling up is the cost of petrol, I need something more economical - an LPG conversion popped into my head.

Anyone know the pro's or con's of doing this?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
no pros as far as i can see,
i think you would need a kpro or something to map as there is no way you could have vtec without
uses more gas than petrol, loses performance, gas price going up, cost £1-1.5K to install if it is even possible.

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
I've seen a K20 CRV with LPG. big mistake...put it this way it was on somethign like its 4th cylinder head - the reason was something along the lines of the LPG does something bad to the alu head.

Steer clear

typer666

lpg

I think it sounds good .. wanted to see if anyone took the plunge or could map it -

I do approx 4-500 miles week. approx £60-80 quid a week

£1500-2000 set up costs. 50p/litre.

Some facts (can be googled from various sources) :
Octane rating of 110 vs superundleadeds 99 - so should be able to map for more power! ( more lpg is burned vs petrol for example 1litre petrol produces same level of power as 1.25 litres lpg ... not correct figures just an example)

Most common problem with LPG is the cylinder head going ... valves, generally recede into the cylinder head as the valve seats gradually fail through overheating as LPG does not have the same cooling properties as petrol.

The job simply involves fitting stronger valve seats which can cope with the extra temperatures involved (most of the point of having lead in petrol is to keep combustion temperatures down.) These stronger seats are better able to cope with having the valves slamming into them several hundred times per second in what is already a very hostile environment.

what u guys think ?

japshop

Members
its definatly a good idea if using that amount of fuel the only problem with the heads on certain hondas is that they have soft valve seats and the easy way round is either fitting hardened seats or a valve lubrication system, and you will not need any form of k pro or any other managent system as the latest gas systems come with a stand alone unit that controls all the fueling aspects, and you will actually get more power if you tune it to run solely on gas not a compremise between the two, the cost for a 4 cylinder car on a syquential gas sytem will cost you around 1k and should only be done by an lpga aproved installer, i know all this because iv fitted lpg systems for over 10 years and had lots of performance cars running on lpg even a turbo crx and eg as well as 2 impreza with no problems at all its all in the equipment used and level or expiriance