LSD Failure?

kingston

Advanced Member
Ive been on the Porker GT3 forum and noticed that a common issue they have is that the lsd starts to fail at around 30k miles though many wont notice it.

Im wondering if the DC5 lsd is also prown to failure and would we know? On the Gt3 there is a youtube vid showing how to check (not watched it) but apart from the few grease monkeys/competition racers we have on here, could a normal person tell or is the lsd going to survive on the tegs until the lifetime of the car?

Oh and mine hasnt failed or not that i know of :-k

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Never heard of an lsd fail, ever. there are several cars with 100K plus on them still going strong.
They don't have clutch plates like the porsche one so no wearing parts as such

because of ther type it is very difficult if not impossible to test without driving the car as it is torque sensing not mechanical clutch plates

So dont worry about your LSD ;)

Kinli

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
because of ther type it is very difficult if not impossible to test without driving the car as it is torque sensing not mechanical clutch plates
All you need is a torque wrench and the specs for the LSD. Very easy. Check a honda accord type-r, dc2 type-r, or any service manual that has a LSD equipped honda.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Why not post up a how to if its easy? :xcheers:

The dc5 lsd only works when both driveshafts are under load, this is not that easy to simulate when the car is off the ground.
with a clutch plate type diff (spoon,kazz) you only need to jack up the car and rotate the wheels to see if its working,

i would be interested to see what can be done with a torque wrench.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
I took my teg into TDINorth a few weeks ago for a service and asked them to investigate a knocking noise im getting from the front of the car. They diagnosed that as LSD bearing failure :( so need to get that changed apparently which is a bit of a **** as its damn expensive! Really annoying as the LSD is still working beatifully aswell :( :(

Cars done 38000 miles, 2004 model.