M Factory Diff

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey
Does anyone know if the M Factory hex diff for the EP3 fits the DC5? I've seen Tegiwa have 15% off them today but don't have one listed for the DC5
Cheers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there is no reason i can think of why it wouldnt, its essentially the same gearbox where the diff is concerned, why not give them a call ?

Gareth88

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
there is no reason i can think of why it wouldnt, its essentially the same gearbox where the diff is concerned, why not give them a call ?
Had a chat to Coyote and he's advised that the M Factory performs identically to oem diff... I was after a performance gain really so I think I'll stick with oem for now. It was only the 15% plus our 2.5% that was tempting me ha

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
It will fit, practically the same gearbox bar LSD and different ratios.

However to say its the same as OEM isn't true, the OEM diff is very snatchy but not that aggressive and can't really handle much more than 250-300bhp before it will start to disintegrate.

The Mfactory diff is a more aggressive version of a Quaiffe diff, so its much much stronger, more aggressive than the OEM diff but not as snatchy. Would be a very worth while upgrade.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
mfactory do two types of lsd-

metal plate - (like spoon kaaz, j's, ats, etc)- best traction very aggressive, snatchy. but noisy , clunky and harder to drive -a good upgrade for ultimate grip. but at the sacrifice of driveability.

helical gear- is exactly the same as the oem one, no better so IMO not an upgrade at all, traction will be the same, you can still easily get one wheel to spin when coming out of a corner etc.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
mfactory do two types of lsd-

metal plate - (like spoon kaaz, j's, ats, etc)- best traction very aggressive, snatchy. but noisy , clunky and harder to drive -a good upgrade for ultimate grip. but at the sacrifice of driveability.

helical gear- is exactly the same as the oem one, no better so IMO not an upgrade at all, traction will be the same, you can still easily get one wheel to spin when coming out of a corner etc.
I was going to do a seperate post about this but I guess I can tag along.

Is there any differences between all of the available diff's for DC5's regarding Drag co efficiency? Surely some would give more drag than others? Therefore more work for the car etc.

Oh, and both my front wheels spin in the same direction when not in gear. Guess it's not OEM.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
they shouldnt spin in the same direction, but they could if there was a little drag in the system, i would be iterested to see how much force was on the wheel not being turned , you will struggle to hold the other wheel with a plate diff

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Gareth88 said:
Thanks for the info, so is the quaiffe diff better than the oem?
in my opinion no its not, as you can still spin a wheel with a quaife as you can with all torque sensing lsd's
the only thing thats kind of inbetween is the wavetrac as its got bits of both types in it

wj51fut

Advanced Member
After having the car on the ramp at TGM yesterday, Tom said that I do not have an OEM LSD!! But unless you split the box you won't find out what it is. He said the box has been taken apart before. I'm the first uk owner. I'm intrigued!

MFactory

We actually have two types of Helical LSD: Standard (with 66% torque bias) and Race (with 75% torque bias). Quaife/Wavetrac/OEM are all 66%

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
I was going to do a seperate post about this but I guess I can tag along.

Is there any differences between all of the available diff's for DC5's regarding Drag co efficiency? Surely some would give more drag than others? Therefore more work for the car etc.

Oh, and both my front wheels spin in the same direction when not in gear. Guess it's not OEM.
Same here Gok Ive been told it may be a spoon diff but there's no paperwork to back it up at all. When jacked up mine spin in the same direction.

I kinda like it, it really pulls me around corners and is not too clunky to drive with. I don't hear any noise at all. However when i'm driving really slow i.e. parking if i'm on gravel I can feel one wheel try to spin. Strange

MFactory

With a Plate LSD, when jacked up, both wheels will spin in the same direction.

With a Helical LSD (including oem), when jacked up, they will spin in opposite directions, as a Helical LSD is basically an open diff if one or both wheels have no load.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
MFactory said:
With a Plate LSD, when jacked up, both wheels will spin in the same direction.

With a Helical LSD (including oem), when jacked up, they will spin in opposite directions, as a Helical LSD is basically an open diff if one or both wheels have no load.
So in your honest opinion, wether it is a Spoon, M Factory or Quaife etc diff, which is better for daily use? Plated or Helical? What are the day to day pros and cons?

Adam

MFactory

For a daily driver, definitely a Helical LSD. These are noise free, maintenance free, and just all-round smoother to drive :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
MFactory said:
For a daily driver, definitely a Helical LSD. These are noise free, maintenance free, and just all-round smoother to drive :)
Not what I wanted to hear really but hey ho!! Lol

I can drive mine fine but it does shudder when cold. Almost like kangerooing!! But that's only on the first corner about 200 yards away from when the car is started. Doesn't seem to do it when doing tight menouvres (out of a garage/court yard etc) but when you are in 2nd going around a 90 degree bend going about 10-15mph. Only the first time though. Guess this is the diff not warmed up yet. I've done 50k plus miles with it in and I use the car as a daily and had no issues so it's staying put. Thanks for the info.