M2 B pipe

joiner

Advanced Member
Ok folks, not sure if this has been asked before so be gentle on me, as you may have gathered I'm in the process of restoring my fresh import to factory new condition. I removed the exhaust, resprayed the rear box black and polished up the tail pipe. The centre section was however showing slight corrosion especially around the rear flange area, I cleaned up best I could and sprayed silver with high temp paint but the rust is coming back through😡. So, ideally I would love a Spoon B pipe but not at £640!! Hence I am thinking about buying one of these M2 b pipes so it will set the underside off when all polished up and maybe some day a rear Spoon box😆. I know that the sportex one has been mentioned but that is mild steel and really want some bling, so will this fit or how much work would be involved to make it fit and finally has anyone got one fitted. Any advice good or bad will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Liam

Advanced Member
They definitely fit as my brother uses one on his DC5. They work fine but are made to a cost - we found the flanges went rusty looking very quickly.

From reading your post I don't think you'd be happy with one. I'd go for a custom one rather than pay £640 for a Spoon.

joiner

Advanced Member
Thanks Liam, why did the brackets rust, are they not stainless too?. Also does your brothers tail pipe stick out any further, that's assuming he has the standard back box as I feel the standard tail pipe sits a bit short of where it ideally should be.

joiner

Advanced Member
I seen that impne but would need to be posted and he wasn't keen as am up in scotland.

spooke

Advanced Member
I would steer clear, they're cheap for a reason. My brother has one on his EP3 with a Spoon N1, it hangs very low, catches on carpark ramps and the gasket included failed after a couple weeks so it now blows and M2 would not send a new one for free...

joiner

Advanced Member
Thanks spooke, your right, you get what you pay for but as my car is unlikely to be used and more of a shelf queen the clearance issue etc wouldn't really be a problem. I want to keep it as close to original as I can, would just look nicer all shinny :), so am a bit hesitant on shelling out for an aftermarket one as once you start your on the slippery slope and one thing leads to another ha ha!!. Is spoon the only manufacturer that makes a silenced B pipe that fits to a standard rear silencer as iv read that others only work as a package?

spooke

Advanced Member
joiner said:
Thanks spooke, your right, you get what you pay for but as my car is unlikely to be used and more of a shelf queen the clearance issue etc wouldn't really be a problem. I want to keep it as close to original as I can, would just look nicer all shinny :), so am a bit hesitant on shelling out for an aftermarket one as once you start your on the slippery slope and one thing leads to another ha ha!!. Is spoon the only manufacturer that makes a silenced B pipe that fits to a standard rear silencer as iv read that others only work as a package?
You could probably get a custom one made up to the same spec as Spoon for much less and it would fit better than the M2 - If your car is lowered the M2 b-pipe will definitely scrape over speed bumps.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Lots of Evo owners run M2 decats with no reported issues.

Can you get Supersprint mid pipes for the DC5? They used to be well regarded 'back in the day' and a cheap alternative to Spoon.

Personally the Spoon N1 backbox sounds like a fart can/cherry bomb and looks tiny, there's better systems out there. For example there's a Mugen cat back on eBay listed at £600, they told me I could have it for £500.

Liam

Advanced Member
joiner said:
Thanks Liam, why did the brackets rust, are they not stainless too?. Also does your brothers tail pipe stick out any further, that's assuming he has the standard back box as I feel the standard tail pipe sits a bit short of where it ideally should be.
The flanges aren't stainless unfortunately. He's ran it with both a standard and Js 60R backbox, I wouldn't say either stuck out any more than before.

adamamuk

Advanced Member
impne said:
ChrisMcC has a spoon B in for sale section for only £170
I'd go for this ^
I don't think you'd find better for cheaper.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Bewesy

Advanced Member
I bought a straight through M2 b-pipe. The Fuji RM01A it replaced hung lower than this one does with an OEM back box.

For not much more than £100 I personally think they're an absolute bargain, but as stated above, made to a price...

joiner

Advanced Member
Ignore above🙄, adm87 I agree but as mentioned above I did enquire but postage was an issue.

Bewesy, how much alterations had to be made to fit it, I believe the sportex one needs the holes elongated at the front pipe, is this the case with the M2?

Milanochris, a Mugen would be lovely but at even £500 I have to much other more important things to buy like quarter lights, wheel refurb, new tyres and a full respray next spring.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
joiner said:
Bewesy, how much alterations had to be made to fit it, I believe the sportex one needs the holes elongated at the front pipe, is this the case with the M2?
Yeah, but only a couple of mm. I did it with a hand held drill and large drill bit and kind of angled it from side to side and it took enough material out to allow it to slide on to the studs.

Here's my thread about it, plus a little vid :)

http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/44017-unsilenced-b-pipe-oem-backbox-video-now-added/#entry440906

Kenz

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
Lots of Evo owners run M2 decats with no reported issues.

Can you get Supersprint mid pipes for the DC5? They used to be well regarded 'back in the day' and a cheap alternative to Spoon.

Personally the Spoon N1 backbox sounds like a fart can/cherry bomb and looks tiny, there's better systems out there. For example there's a Mugen cat back on eBay listed at £600, they told me I could have it for £500.
Ep3 and dc5 share the same B pipe, the back boxes are slightly different however. So yes you could run a supersprint b pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk