M2 inlet manifold no idle problem

zacho

Advanced Member
Hi there, Need help! I'm having an M2 inlet manifold fitted at my local garage before heading to TDI North on tuesday to have it mapped, was due to pick it up today but they hit a problem!

This is probably going to sound really vague but as i have no pictures and not much clue about fitting inlet manifolds i'm stuck! But after fitting and everything seemingly in place the car won't idle.. If the throttle is pressed down slightly and held, it will fire up and run, but as soon as it is let go it dies..

The mechanic mentioned that the oem inlet had a small hole to allow air in on idle, where as the M2 doesn't? Could this be a problem? Or does this sound like a vacuum leak?
Next to where the large coolant pipe attatches there is what a presume is another smaller coolent pipe attatched, then another inlet/outlet inbetween that which seems to have no use as the oem had just one if i remember rightly.. Also this inlet has no where for the crank case breather hose to attatch so i take it i just fit one of those small breather filters onto that?
The car idled perfectly before. Settled on cold and once warm.

Once again i apologise for the vagueness! Just hope someone can help, paid a hefty deposit to TDI North and the garage won't be able to do anything until monday now :/. They've gad my car doing various things for 10 days now, cutting it fine :/

Thanks

integraleo

Advanced Member
Hope you get this sorted mate,I've had same idle issues since my charger fitment. Will idle when warm but not when cold

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
My RRC didn't have a facility to allow air flow in on idle either, but I filled a half inch angled path for the air to flow where the TB attaches so the IACV can do it's job. It's not as big a problem as you would think mate

zacho

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Hope you get this sorted mate,I've had same idle issues since my charger fitment. Will idle when warm but not when cold
Cheers! Have you got anywhere with yours over the weekend? I'm going to call TDI first thing as they fitted one of these to a dc5 last week and hopefully they have the answer so i can get it up to them on tuesday!

zacho

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:
My RRC didn't have a facility to allow air flow in on idle either, but I filled a half inch angled path for the air to flow where the TB attaches so the IACV can do it's job. It's not as big a problem as you would think mate
Thanks for the reply, ok will keep this in mind, so does the rbc have an air flow hole already in it? Or do rbc require this to be done aswel?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
If the crankcase breather tube, located on the driver side of the engine, is not fitted then this will cause the idle to bounce up and down. This happened to me when i forgot to reconnect it to the intake manifold!

Looking at pics of the manifold it does have the hole where the throttle body mounts to allow idle air in.

It sounds like they might not have connected the idle air control valve connector, which is located beneath the throttle body. If it was closed when disconnected it might not be getting enough air through the slight opening in the throttle body butterfly valve.

FireDance

Advanced Member
zacho said:
Cheers! Have you got anywhere with yours over the weekend? I'm going to call TDI first thing as they fitted one of these to a dc5 last week and hopefully they have the answer so i can get it up to them on tuesday!
Did you not call them on Saturday?

zacho

Advanced Member
Was told they are shut saturdays.. still tried, no answer. No answer all day today so far, left message aswel.. I've researched all i can no luck, doesn't help its at the garage. Starting to get a little anxious now, paid a hefty deposit for the remap and thought 10 days was enough time for anything to go wrong and still be ok

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Surely it's still drivable? Get it mapped and maybe ask them or do what tricker luke has suggested. Then worry about it after the mapping. :)

zacho

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
If the crankcase breather tube, located on the driver side of the engine, is not fitted then this will cause the idle to bounce up and down. This happened to me when i forgot to reconnect it to the intake manifold!
Looking at pics of the manifold it does have the hole where the throttle body mounts to allow idle air in.
It sounds like they might not have connected the idle air control valve connector, which is located beneath the throttle body. If it was closed when disconnected it might not be getting enough air through the slight opening in the throttle body butterfly valve.
There is nowhere on the M2 to connect the crank case breather tube.. Have asked the mechanic to check the iavc plug etc and all looks in place.. stumped!

zacho

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Surely it's still drivable? Get it mapped and maybe ask them or do what tricker luke has suggested. Then worry about it after the mapping. :)
Would it still be driveable like that? It doesnt fire up at all without putting your foot on the throttle, and then dies once your foot is off the throttle..

FireDance

Advanced Member
zacho said:
Was told they are shut saturdays.. still tried, no answer. No answer all day today so far, left message aswel.. I've researched all i can no luck, doesn't help its at the garage. Starting to get a little anxious now, paid a hefty deposit for the remap and thought 10 days was enough time for anything to go wrong and still be ok
They were racing on Saturday. They currently have 47 messages on the answer phone. That does not take into account the amount of missed calls, walk in's & unbooked cars that just turn up. They are very busy.

zacho

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
They were racing on Saturday. They currently have 47 messages on the answer phone. That does not take into account the amount of missed calls, walk in's & unbooked cars that just turn up. They are very busy.
I can apprieciate that, i didn't intend to make it sound like i was slagging them off in anyway, not that i did anyway, and i'm just justifiably worried about getting my car to them after paying a large deposit and speaking to someone on a phone is far from unreasonable. I've spent over 2.5 k on my car in less than a year and losing £400 over this now would be gutting.

FireDance

Advanced Member
zacho said:
I can apprieciate that, i didn't intend to make it sound like i was slagging them off in anyway, not that i did anyway, and i'm just justifiably worried about getting my car to them after paying a large deposit and speaking to someone on a phone is far from unreasonable. I've spent over 2.5 k on my car in less than a year and losing £400 over this now would be gutting.
I understand that. Why didn't you get them to fit it before they mapped it? I am assuming they sold you the manifold?

zacho

Advanced Member
Was trying to save money basically. As my local garage were fitting my bushes, camber arms, shocks, ex. Mani, exhaust etc.. i thought i'd get them to do the inlet whilst it was there to try and save on labour as they do a very good price per hour and generally a good job. Regret this.. and kind of regret going for an inlet manifold now for what its worth, i was going to just go with the rest of the bolt ons.

Looks too late now, garage rekon its undriveable and both i and the mechanic were unable to contact anyone.

TDi-North

Just finished on the dyno and trying to go through over 70 missed calls now but only 3 actual messages left.

I've tried calling the garage but no answer. Guessing they have hung themselves and hard as it is for me to call another mechanic and tell them how to do their job I have done all I can even after trying to talk you through this last Friday with a list of questions.

Fitment is the same as the Skunk2 one and pretty much the same as the RBC and RRC.
Nothing special a mechanic shouldn't be able to work out themselves.

Get it on a trailer and we can have a look. Fitted loads of these and not had any issues.
Quite a lot sent out and again no issues reported back so really can't understand what's happening here.

Worst case if you want to drive it just crack the throttle open on the stop screw so it runs.
I can sort it out.

And I won't be calling any "mechanics" to explain where or what a stop screw is.

Good luck. ;)

zacho

Advanced Member
Aye how i would have done things differently in hindsight!

Ok tried to borrow a trailer but that fell through, driving it up it is. I'll get to the garage for when they open and head up asap.

Thanks for getting back to me, at least i will sleep well tonight ha. And sounds like you need a receptionist, or two or three :p !

See you tomorrow

FireDance

Advanced Member
zacho said:
Aye how i would have done things differently in hindsight!

Ok tried to borrow a trailer but that fell through, driving it up it is. I'll get to the garage for when they open and head up asap.

Thanks for getting back to me, at least i will sleep well tonight ha. And sounds like you need a receptionist, or two or three :p !

See you tomorrow
The 'receptionist' aka office manager Rob was on holiday :xlol: