MAF Sensor

H_5hum

Advanced Member
Hello all,

I'm after a bit of advice, or just your opinions on this?

I have a SFS Performance Silicone intake hose which will be fitted to a Gruppe M.

I noticed when I was fitting it, that where the MAF Sensor plugs in, the sensor doesn't actually stick out into the interior tube.

In the OEM tube, It sticks out slightly which I believe is normal?

My understanding is the usual "OEM" location for the MAF is right in the center of the inner tube so that it can register the air coming in.

If it doesn't stick out at all in the silicone tube, would this affect the readings/Engine?

*I will post up a couple of pictures later

Hyn

kyle'87

Advanced Member
H_5hum said:
Hello all,

I'm after a bit of advice, or just your opinions on this?

I have a SFS Performance Silicone intake hose which will be fitted to a Gruppe M.

I noticed when I was fitting it, that where the MAF Sensor plugs in, the sensor doesn't actually stick out into the interior tube.

In the OEM tube, It sticks out slightly which I believe is normal?

My understanding is the usual "OEM" location for the MAF is right in the center of the inner tube so that it can register the air coming in.

If it doesn't stick out at all in the silicone tube, would this affect the readings/Engine?

*I will post up a couple of pictures later

Hyn
If it is the part I am thinking of, it is the air intake temperature sensor. (We don't have MAFM sensors)

Logic would dictate, to me at least, that the sensor should be in the flow of the air to get the most accurate reading. This is why I cut down the silicone pipe so that the 'nipple' part of the sensor actually was in the air flow.

However, I don't know if this makes any difference at all, I done it for piece of mind. Now I have an alloy hard pipe with a bung welded on to mount the sensor directly into the hard pipe.

H_5hum

Advanced Member
Thanks for the response Kyle,

kyle said:
If it is the part I am thinking of, it is the air intake temperature sensor. (We don't have MAFM sensors)
I'm not too sure to be honest - certainly looks like all the other MAF sensors I have seen lol. I will upload the photos from my phone later when I get home.
I also thought about cutting the silicone down too, but wanted to check it all before doing so.

*UPDATE - Added photos.. Hopefully it has worked

H_5hum

Advanced Member
Sorry, still getting used to this Tapatalk uploading photos lol

As shown in photo above, the sensor doesnt poke into the inner tube. (pic was taken upside down)
Whether it is MAF or Temp sensor, should it be poking out so the air passes through it?

Thanks
Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
I would want it to poke through just for a piece of mind but i doubt it would make any difference. The air will still be the same temprature there

H_5hum

Advanced Member
Thanks Fez.

So that sensor is an Air Temp one? I am still a bit confused as I don't know much about the Engine side of things! :xaiweb3:

2ndy

Advanced Member
That sensor just measures the temperature of the air so will be fine where it is mate

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Intake Air Temperature (IAT)

The IAT sensor converts intake air temperature into
voltage and signals the ECM/PCM.When intake air
temperature is low, the internal resistance of the sensor
increases, and the voltage signal is higher.

With cold engine:
Same as ambient
temperature and ECT

Attachments

H_5hum

Advanced Member
Sweet. Thanks Guys. If its ok to leave where it is then i wont cut the pipe!

One less job to do :)

kyle'87

Advanced Member
H_5hum said:
Sweet. Thanks Guys. If its ok to leave where it is then i wont cut the pipe!

One less job to do :)
It'll be fine, as long the nipple part isn't directly touching the silicone it will be OK to leave as it.

H_5hum

Advanced Member
That's a good point, I don't think it is touching the silicone, but I will check and make sure next time I pop the bonnet.

xthumbup