Major Rubbing Issue - New Wheels! I think I've messed up!

AneesR

Hi guys,

When I got my car it had the standard wheels on but with 225/45/17 Bridgestone RE70 tyres on but I fancied something different. I went for some Rota Grid wheels (Rays TE37 reps basically) in 17x7.5 et45 offset. I thought this was a very safe offset with no need to mess with arches etc. I also bought some Yokohama AD08R Tyres.

Unfortunately, the car is rubbing like mad on all 4 corners! The car is lowered on coilovers but its not silly low - its about the same height as it was on the previous Eibach springs with standard shocks setup.

The AD08R tyre does have a big sidewall and is very square so I think that is is the issue (along with it being a 225/45/17 rather then a 215/45/17).

I really don't want to roll the arches - I would be worried about creases and rust developing. I'm thinking I'll just put the standard wheels back on for now - the AD08R do seem squarer then the Bridgestone RE70's that were on before so might not look as lost inside the arches.

Does anyone else run 17" 225/45/17 AD08 tyres on after market wheels and have no issues with rubbing on a car with standard arches? If so could you please share your rim width and offset?

Thanks
Anees

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I would have though that was a safe set up?

I was running 17x8 et48 with 225 ad08s and had no rubbing issues. Are you sure its not your ride height?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Are you 100% on the wheel size and offset that you bought? As per Reggie, it's highly unusual (and I'll be annoyed if mine rub haha) for that size to cause issues at the rear let alone the front.

Or perhaps does your car have spacers fitted all round?

Fez

Advanced Member
As above i ran 17x8 et48 225 all round no problem, now i have 235's on "et43" (same wheel but 5mm spacer) wheel up front with no problems, also on coilovers.

Max77

Advanced Member
You must be either running stupidly low or settings are completely out. I run 255/40/17 square and only slight rub on rear however haven't been rolled yet

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Max77 you were running 255 without rolling the arches? What camber were your running?

adam.

Advanced Member
I ran the same size as you, 225/45R17 in both AD08R and R888R (huge sidewalls) on 17x8 ET48 with no rubbing, on coilovers.

You must be very very low!

spooke

Advanced Member
I run 17x8J ET47 with 225/45 AD08R up front with no rubbing (well I have two minor marks on the chassis from full lock it seems) and 17x7J ET47 with 215/45 AD08R rear with no rubbing.

Post a photo of how low your car is, what camber are you running also. With little camber I can see them rubbing.

AneesR

I've done my best to get a few pictures considering its been raining all day today and its pitch black - found a few from the start of the week and general ones I've taken.

These are the stickers I have on my wheels:

The car has had a fast road setup today however, but its not really made any difference to the rubbing issue. Got basicalli 2 degrees camber on the front now and 1.5 on the rear.

These are not proper side-one pics but best I can find - will try to get some more tomorrow.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
That's sitting really pretty on those rims. Can't understand why you're having this issue with that amount of camber, offset and tyre size.

My last dc5 ran 225/45/17 Re070's -1.8' front and -1.4' rear on spoon springs so approx 25mm drop. The AD08's do look a little square at the edges compared to the 070's. Hard to see from a picture but those geo settings you gave above is correct ? Not saying you'd lie, either way you're proper close it doesn't look far off

AneesR

The arches have really big lips on them and its those the wheels are getting caught on.

For the moment, I think I am going to have to put my standard wheels back on - otherwise I'm not going to have any arches left! lol

AneesR

ollydc5 said:
That's sitting really pretty on those rims. Can't understand why you're having this issue with that amount of camber, offset and tyre size.

My last dc5 ran 225/45/17 Re070's -1.8' front and -1.4' rear on spoon springs so approx 25mm drop. The AD08's do look a little square at the edges compared to the 070's. Hard to see from a picture but those geo settings you gave above is correct ? Not saying you'd lie, either way you're proper close it doesn't look far off
This picture was taken BEFORE the Geo - the geo was today. :xgrin:

Don't really have anything to show apart from these (which were going to go on my build thread lol)

spooke

Advanced Member
Very hard to tell but from the photos it does look "low". You could raise the rear up a little as it almost looks like reverse take and it will solve your issue. Or the whole car by 10-20mm, it means you'll need a new alignment though.

Fez

Advanced Member
I'm Not sure if its the angle of the photos but the fronts look less than 2° camber. And looks slightly higher than mine and i dont have issues

Thats 225/45 8" et43 with 2° camber on front
225/45 8" et48 with 1.25° on rear

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Is it catching on the arch liners rather than arches? Could just be a loose liner?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Indi

Advanced Member
I had similar issues on my previous Arctic blue dc5 when I went from Eibach springs to coilovers it rubbed on the rear lips and that had 225/45/17 re070 on 17x7.5 et45 wheels with -1.5 camber on the rear. You either need to raise it or roll lips imo.

Rom

Advanced Member
These cars do vary.
I'm running the same wheels, tyres, and suspension as a friend was. Yet he had no issues running at I think - 1, and no rolling.
I'm at around - 2 and had to roll.

Check your front arch liner clips. I had a loose one, where part was broken. And I'd catch the liner on slight turn and bumps.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk