Making a custom front splitter

Lewis93

Advanced Member
So for the thousand time I've been doing a search on here looking for a front splitter tray for the DC5.

There are some good looking ones from the states but there always seems to be comments about bad quality. I'm not really prepared to take the risk of paying shipments etc from the states for it to turn up and be a load of rubbish.

Then I started searching on how to make a custom front splitter and it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

After searching about materials I came across a video of a company called Project Import in California making one for a S2000 out of a plastic called diebond. There are sheets of this on eBay 8x4 ft and 3mm thick for just under £40.

I'm going to order a sheet of it then take the front bumper down to a body shop and have the disband cut after making a decision on if I want it just to be a visible piece and be quite thin or try to use this as more of a functional part and have it sitting further back under the floor of the car.

I'm not using hangers for this so I'll just need to drill into the necessary parts of the bumper to fit it and make it as strong as it can be, after all the fitment is done I'll get it sprayed in black and it should look pretty spot on.

I'll attach a YouTube link of the Project Import video for those who are interested and update this thread in December when the splitter is complete. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivV8vEiW7o

Chewy

Advanced Member
Saw this video myself when I was looking to do it to my 123D at the time... Never got around to it mind.

Interested in how you get on with this, will be fun little project.

Make sure to keep us updated. :)

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
Saw this video myself when I was looking to do it to my 123D at the time... Never got around to it mind.

Interested in how you get on with this, will be fun little project.

Make sure to keep us updated. :)
I will do. I don't want it to look quite as race car orientated as that S2000 with the hangers and wider than the stock lip.

More of a subtle modification, I think that sticks out about 3", I'll probably try for 2" to start with then test and adjust it to look more like this one, (I hope Dave doesn't mind me stealing his picture). :)

Justintian

Advanced Member
I am also looking at this, there are some clean polycarbonate sheet like 5 or 8 mm thick, got quote from local company, they can custom cut to size with materials for £42 plus vat something... Very attempted, think you need hanger rods or brackets due to the down force generated from the flat surface etc, you can get them from devsports usa, they have a type of brackets that sits behind the front bumper fitted to the chassis, a bit expensive brackets
I will let you know if I got it done.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DevSport-Front-Bumper-Wind-Splitter-Support-Brackets-02-06-Acura-RSX-DC5-/151369660778?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233e55b96a

wocka

Advanced Member
We stock dibond at work, been planning on making one for a while but havent got round to it. Sold my mate some few weeks back to make a rear diffuser, wants more for a splitter now.

Its good strong stuff and light aswel, its a hard plastic material with 2 thin layers of aluminium either side.

If i do one soon i will post up thread with making it and the process, if there is a demand i may consider making up a batch. See how things go :)

wocka

Advanced Member
Lewisk20 - if its the same stuff as i have then you can get it in loads of colours, saves you painting it. Usually matte one side and gloss the other

FireDance

Advanced Member
wocka, if you do make them ,I am after one for a Subaru please.

Preferably one that does not cost the Earth :xlol:

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
wocka, if you do make them ,I am after one for a Subaru please.

Preferably one that does not cost the Earth :xlol:
Try HT autos on ebay for splitters. Theyre about £120ish.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
How did you get on with this?
I've just gone for a Rhino lip at the minute. I haven't had nearly enough time with the car to even start looking at this or even measure what diameters I need would need etc.