Manifold mod with CAT advice needed

JT3173

Advanced Member
Due to my car coming up for testing time again and that it will mean having to take te Toda Mani off and put the OEM back on, test the car and replace the Toda I was wondering if the section of the Toda could be cut off, two new flanges welded on so it can join back together.

On a separate bit of tubing a small CAT could be fixed in place that would fit onto the end of the modded Toda mani to pass the emissions test etc to save work rmoving the manifolds around.

I think this would be better as each time you take out the Lambda sensors they thread can get damaged and plus it is a ball ache.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of CAT would fit and if it would pass the emissions with a small CAT, like a 100 or 200 cell race type?

Thanks

celox performance

Advanced Member
Re: Manifold mod with CAT advve needed

I'm also interested in this. This years Sprints and Hill Climbs need to be run with a cat on :(

JT3173

Advanced Member

celox performance said:
I'm also interested in this. This years Sprints and Hill Climbs need to be run with a cat on :(
Well, I will make some enquries with a reputable company I know and see what they can come up with, I doubt it would effect performance in any way so long as the correct diameter tubing was used.

celox performance

Advanced Member
Except that the KPRO's been mapped for no cat and the control emissions removed, so I suppose it's anyone's guess how much power i'd lose :? . It's not worth getting it mapped before the sprint with the cat on and then take the cat off and get it mapped again without the cat after the sprint. It would be very costly and time consuming!

It would be ok though just for an mot.

JT3173

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
Except that the KPRO's been mapped for no cat and the control emissions removed, so I suppose it's anyone's guess how much power i'd lose :? . It's not worth getting it mapped before the sprint with the cat on and then take the cat off and get it mapped again without the cat after the sprint. It would be very costly and time consuming!

It would be ok though just for an mot.
I have a map for the CAT and Toda mani but last time I had the test done I could not get the map to load and the car to start so I had to use the Toda map but did not hit Vtec, just drove like Miss Daisy as I was worried that it may effect it.

celox performance

Advanced Member
Yes I hadn't thought about the problem firstly with getting a cat to fit and then secondly would it be safe to use on track with a map for without a cat, i'm unsure about the A/F ratio :? . I'm not sure it's worth risking the engine for the sake of 3-4 sprints a year and I use the car a lot more for track days than sprints. I'll probably bin the sprints, for this year anyway :(

JT3173

Advanced Member
Yeh, I think it could be a problem and not worth the hassell if you dont want to get the beast remapped.
You could on the other hand get a metal fabrication company to weld around the Mani a dummy CAT, I have seen this in Germany a few times on the big power Audi's, just a thought........ :roll:

fonz600

Advanced Member
James - Did you try and clear the security before uploading the OEM map?

Celox - If you get a proper sports CAT for your cars power your loses will be minimal, however your fuel may need tweaked slightly which isn't a big job.

Both - Running your existing map just to go to the MOT station and back will be fine with the CAT on as it runs in closed loop when on part throttle so will constantly adjust itself to 14.7. Problems arise when using the map all the time and doing any WOT runs.

Also a bit info poached from a guy I trust from another forum "~ 1.26 cfm for each horsepower for a nearly lossless system on our motors"

So if you are both running around 250BHP you'll need a Sports CAT in excess of 315CFM

JT3173

Advanced Member
fonz600 said:
James - Did you try and clear the security before uploading the OEM map?

Celox - If you get a proper sports CAT for your cars power your loses will be minimal, however your fuel may need tweaked slightly which isn't a big job.

Both - Running your existing map just to go to the MOT station and back will be fine with the CAT on as it runs in closed loop when on part throttle so will constantly adjust itself to 14.7. Problems arise when using the map all the time and doing any WOT runs.

Also a bit info poached from a guy I trust from another forum "~ 1.26 cfm for each horsepower for a nearly lossless system on our motors"

So if you are both running around 250BHP you'll need a Sports CAT in excess of 315CFM
I take it that means then I cannot run a 100 or 200 cell CAT and that it would need to be over 300 to 400, is that what you mean by 315CFM.

Thanks for the advice Jamie :D

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I think the amount of cells is different to the cfm. A 100 cell cat will have a higher cfm than the 200 cell cat, and so on. You will need to research what the cfm is of both these cats.

fonz600

Advanced Member
ollie-dc5 said:
I think the amount of cells is different to the cfm. A 100 cell cat will have a higher cfm than the 200 cell cat, and so on. You will need to research what the cfm is of both these cats.

Your right. The flow rate of a decat is meaured in CFM so you need to find out which decats your looking at is measuring. I'd imagine a good 200 cell would be ok.

Evs

Advanced Member
Another idea to consider is fitting the cat into the B-pipe - saves carving up an expensive manifold.

I bought an old Spoon B-pipe for this purpose but sold the car before I got around to trying it :lol:

JT3173

Advanced Member
Evs said:
Another idea to consider is fitting the cat into the B-pipe - saves carving up an expensive manifold.

I bought an old Spoon B-pipe for this purpose but sold the car before I got around to trying it :lol:

Your a star Evs, that is much better!!! :xcheers:

JT3173 said:
celox performance said:
Well, I will make some enquries with a reputable company I know and see what they can come up with, I doubt it would effect performance in any way so long as the correct diameter tubing was used.
Hey celox,
We have 100 cell cats that can be welded in where ever you want them, In ATCC we now have to run cats and we put them in right at the end of the system , this has proved not only to affect the BHP by next to nothing but it improves torque by quite a bit..

My wish is your command :D
P.S. I will contact you on friday with an update on other issues. ;)

Paul,

JT3173

Advanced Member

paul hughes said:
JT3173 said:
celox performance said:
Hey celox,
We have 100 cell cats that can be welded in where ever you want them, In ATCC we now have to run cats and we put them in right at the end of the system , this has proved not only to affect the BHP by next to nothing but it improves torque by quite a bit..

My wish is your command :D
P.S. I will contact you on friday with an update on other issues. ;)

Paul,
Paul,

If get a B pipe to fit the BC system could you do this with a 100 cell cat?

Thanks

we can weld a cat in enywhere there is space.but we have to do it on the car.not possible off the car.

Paul,

Evs

Advanced Member
JT3173 said:
Evs said:

Your a star Evs, that is much better!!! :xcheers:
No probs. I'll even flog you the b-pipe if you want... :lol: