Mental Prices

spooke

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
@ midnight, are you part of an import team, good knowledge and link

@ spooke, please can you feedback on results.

As for the original poster, good luck in your searches. Exchange rates hasn't helped, but good dc5, as they are getting older I assume harder to come by compared to say 5 years ago. With prices of imports being high, it will also have some influence on U.K. Prices due to supply and demand.
Well I got the report back, here it is for anyone interested. Quite cool and it has higher res auction photos so I can finally decipher the original numberplate to get replicas.

http://i.imgur.com/NASiAgx.jpg

Jk90

I'd just go for one already in the uk, I've had a few imports over the years including a dc5 and the prices asked now I can't believe, Theyll become to outpriced no one will buy them. I've owned a dc5 and in my personal opinion it isn't a car worth 10-12k I paid 12,00 for a twin turbo 6 speed supra imported. I sold mine for 6500, it's alright pricing them but it's what people are willing to pay and in my opinion all Japanese cars are priced high lately. Especially supra's and skylines'.

jammy02

Advanced Member
Jk90 said:
I'd just go for one already in the uk, I've had a few imports over the years including a dc5 and the prices asked now I can't believe, Theyll become to outpriced no one will buy them. I've owned a dc5 and in my personal opinion it isn't a car worth 10-12k I paid 12,00 for a twin turbo 6 speed supra imported. I sold mine for 6500, it's alright pricing them but it's what people are willing to pay and in my opinion all Japanese cars are priced high lately. Especially supra's and skylines'.
Its a fair point, however what's the price of a twin turbo 6 speed supra imported now? Its all relative I'm afraid to say.

The prices increasing isn't a bad thing for the current owners as the depreciation isn't as bad, hopefully they will be labelled as a classic one day (if they looked old they no doubt would be already) where the price will only increase anyway.
And for the new owners buying high with the risk of the value going down - surely that's just depreciation?! Buying at the right time is always luck, and usually in reflection.

Jammy

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
One of the good things about the DC5 is the cost of insurance. Sure, as an owner it's not great but it stops 21 year old scroats buying them and bouncing off the rev limiter in McDonald's like EP3's are. Which means you're much more likely to find a cherished example. To me that's a price worth paying.

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
One of the good things about the DC5 is the cost of insurance. Sure, as an owner it's not great but it stops 21 year old scroats buying them and bouncing off the rev limiter in McDonald's like EP3's are. Which means you're much more likely to find a cherished example. To me that's a price worth paying.
Good point Chris

Kenz

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I bought and insured mine when i was 19 with 2 years driving experience. There not as bad on insurance as everyone makes out (was actually £150 cheaper for me to insure the dc5 over an ep3).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Insurance was a killer for me, I'm 20 and I've got 3 years no claims. It's costing £2k. However I have worked on cars my whole life and have cherished mine.

It's an enthusiast car for definite.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Kenz

Advanced Member
hollowaydc5 said:
Insurance was a killer for me, I'm 20 and I've got 3 years no claims. It's costing £2k. However I have worked on cars my whole life and have cherished mine.

It's an enthusiast car for definite.

Sounds about right. I paid £1728 aged 20. 2 years no claims, owned the vehicle for a year. 1 fault claim at £4400, all mods declared, key cover etc.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Kenz said:
Sounds about right. I paid £1728 aged 20. 2 years no claims, owned the vehicle for a year. 1 fault claim at £4400, all mods declared, key cover etc.

I could of got it cheaper however I wanted to go with a company who actually knew what the car was etc. It's such a hard car to insure.

My old man's a named driver, which knocked some however if I put my mum on the insurance it hiked it up for some reason.

I don't have to pay the last 3 months of my policy either which is in the winter months so works out for me as the car will be going away for the winter haha.

Kenz

Advanced Member
hollowaydc5 said:
I could of got it cheaper however I wanted to go with a company who actually knew what the car was etc. It's such a hard car to insure.

My old man's a named driver, which knocked some however if I put my mum on the insurance it hiked it up for some reason.

I don't have to pay the last 3 months of my policy either which is in the winter months so works out for me as the car will be going away for the winter haha.

Me too, thats why i chose brentacre. Most of the team their seem to know about modifications and modified vehicles and they were really helpful to me last year.

Ive never had my mum or dad on any of my policy's. Always seems to bump the premium up for me. Although my mum doesnt really seem to like being a passenger in the dc5 so i dont think she would be that eager to drive it either .

Kenz

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Odd, that is highly unusual. Are you sure you weren't insuring a DC2? :lol:
Nope, insured as a dc5 through brentacre.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Why not just buy a clean example that's already in the country, examples like mine have had everything that's gunna go wrong sorted out already and runs like a dream 🙂

Cam

Advanced Member
Bought mine for £12k five years ago on 32k miles and if I'm honest..... it's probably appreciated in value. :xyes:

Kenz

Advanced Member
After selling my first dc5 at the end of february and spending the last month and a half looking for the right car, i have noticed that the prices have risen quite alot since i bought my first one in january 2016, more so over the past 6 months (likely down to brexit and the exhange rate going against our favour).
However, if you search hard enough, there are still some great examples here in the uk that can be had for a good price. Ive just bought a 2001 Pre facelift, imported in 2015, 85k miles, extensive japanese service history, spoon springs, k100 and bolt ons for £5800.

It all comes down weather your prepared to pay the extra to get a freshly imported car, but then your putting alot of money in to someone else's judgement of a car.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I think it's all spec and condition dependant, I paid a reasonable amount for mine and knew it needed some work still for it to be perfect, I could leave the little bits and 90% of the population would not bother but I like the car and it felt right at the time and the work being done and that's been done so far it all subject to choice and what's needed for me to have it how I want it.

I think that £7500 - £9K for a very good condition one is a good fair price, some may think this is too much or a high amount for an old car but if you are looking for a well looked after, well maintained clean/mint example then this is the sort of price I think is fair in the present market.

They seem to be quite sought-after at the moment, if your lucky like Kenz and get one for less with work needed then superb (as long as the work keeps you in your budget), for me the personalisation and cleaning up of a car is a part of it, some prefer to buy one complete and done, not me, I enjoy putting in the hours and getting it how I want and like it.

Congratulation on the purchase Kenz, send me some pics later mate

Carl