Mercury Switchs......?

Ezza

Advanced Member
I changed my bonnet over last night and relocated the mercury switch which is now screwed in with the bonnet hinge, however i now notice that when i lock my car it beeps at me to say something wrong. I have the clifford alarm installed and when a door isnt shut propery for example it will beep at you to say something isnt right. Since i relocated the switch its been beeping at me whenever i lock my car to say something isnt right. Is this caused by a bad earth point or do i need to move the mercury switch about......? A friend suggested that i move it back to front

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Is it a plunger type switch? i am suprised if its a mercury switch :? If its a plunger type then for the alarm to set the switch must be compressed (ie the wire insulated from the earth), so when you close the bonnet the bonnet pushes the plunger down this pushes the wire away (underneath) from the mounting hole (which is the earth) this type of switch would be the normal thing used on a bonnet
if the bonnet can't push the plunger it won't set, simple.

actual mercury switches haven't been used in car alarms for a few years as they are generally unreliable and used to give problems if starting on a hill etc.

Ezza

Advanced Member
I was told it was a mercury switch but either way i have sorted the problem now 8)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
what did you do to sort it??
is it a plunger type?
you could always post a pic.

im interested for future reference

Cheers