Millers Nanodrive oil gives you more power and torque...

davidpingu

Advanced Member
So just so I get this right. The nanodrive is an oil with smoothing properties already in it? The oil smoother is an additive to be used with your oil of choice?

Just wondering about the costs for comparison. I. E. How many litres of oil will the J's treat at £40ish?

JezW

Advanced Member
lol david I was just about to ask your second question and then it popped up "Replies added".

What about the long term effects though? Has this been on the japanese market for a while?

Porthos - How long have you been running it?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
JezW said:
lol david I was just about to ask your second question and then it popped up "Replies added".

What about the long term effects though? Has this been on the japanese market for a while?

Porthos - How long have you been running it?
I have been running mine since the 6 October. And have done a lot of miles with it in. About 900 a month since. Car seems fine. Still very pokey. Needs a change now anyway. It's why I've ordered some more!!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
As above, it's completely fine, car coasts in gear like crazy when you let off the throttle, everything is very smooth and friction is minimal.

JezW

Advanced Member
mmm sounds nice.

I suppose a smoother top up isn't necessary until an oil change? Gok - isn't an oil change every 5000 miles a bit excessive? :p

dc5ian

Advanced Member
5000 miles. most guys on here do oil changes more often then that.. i done at least 2 a year.

p.s stick to the tried and tested oil

wj51fut

Advanced Member
JezW said:
mmm sounds nice.

I suppose a smoother top up isn't necessary until an oil change? Gok - isn't an oil change every 5000 miles a bit excessive? :p
Not really!! Twice a year normally. But the last oil change was last April. I put this oil smoother in and thought if I don't like it then I can just change the oil. But it's been great! Oil change next month though along with new brake fluid and gearbox fluid.

JezW

Advanced Member

JezW

Advanced Member
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, slightly unrelated...

I was looking up reviews on millers nanodrive and came across this:

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/117067-millers-nanodrive-5w40/page__st__20

"A1/B1 - fuel economy oil, low performance
A3/B3 - standard oil, low performance
A3/B4 - standard oil, high performance
A5/B5 - fuel economy oil, high performance."

and then:

"I'd be concerned that [Titan Pro-S 5W-40] only carries ACEA A3/B3 claims rather than A3/B4 - as it means it either had too high cam wear or poor piston cleanliness"

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1146-silkolene-pro-s-5w-40-ester-synthetic-oil-for-high-performance-engines.aspx# under the specs and approvals tab does say A3B3.

Any concerns?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I think a lot of us use the Fuchs oil including myself. I was under the impression it was good stuff.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
A lot of these threads (referring to the vx forum) are always all doom and gloom. Reading that makes you feel like you've just destroyed your engine because of using fuchs titan for the past however long.

The amount of stats etc are ridiculous. You have to be Stephen Hawkins to understand what the hell half this stuff means! With my very simple and basic understanding I've come to the conclusion that all you can do is follow manufacturers specs and take your pick.

Will one brand of oil dramatically change performance over another with the same specs? Doubtful. Will any reasonably mainstream oil completely destroy your engine if it meets manufacturer specs? No!

So........ Eeni meeni minee mo..........

brucey87

Advanced Member
Thats interesting as its listed as oil for high performance engines but graded as A3B3 which is, standard oil - low performance.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
let us know what he says... i already know what hes going to say ......... :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5: :xaiweb5:

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
JezW said:
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, slightly unrelated...

I was looking up reviews on millers nanodrive and came across this:

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/117067-millers-nanodrive-5w40/page__st__20

"A1/B1 - fuel economy oil, low performance
A3/B3 - standard oil, low performance
A3/B4 - standard oil, high performance
A5/B5 - fuel economy oil, high performance."

and then:

"I'd be concerned that [Titan Pro-S 5W-40] only carries ACEA A3/B3 claims rather than A3/B4 - as it means it either had too high cam wear or poor piston cleanliness"

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1146-silkolene-pro-s-5w-40-ester-synthetic-oil-for-high-performance-engines.aspx# under the specs and approvals tab does say A3B3.

Any concerns?
Those comments that describe the ACEA specs are very much a generalisation, they are not what the ACEA tests give as a results (it's not like the testing process gives the result of 'standard oil, low performance) it will give numbers and they are then translated into an overall result. Have a look at this link and what the ACEA specs mean in real terms.

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/Markets/EngineOilAdditives/100132RPtool2012Deploy/rp/pc/index.html

When you select A3/B3 or A3/B4, you see there are differences between those and the A5/B5, but you can see what the differences are, rather than it 'not being as good'.

It's also worth considering that an oil can exceed a spec in all areas but one, but that means that the oil only meets that spec, rather than the higher ones. With things like Pro S, they are not designed for emissions or economy, they are designed for the best performance and protection, so while they offer the best protection, they might not be suitable for some of the latest cars with fussy catalytic converters.

Cheers

Tim