Mirror bases

joiner

Advanced Member
Ok fellow members I'm looking for some advice here. My car is in the process of being stripped for a respray, however my black plastic mirror bases have faded and went a marbled effect instead of nice new plastic due to sun damage. I tried different treatments to see if they restored them but no 😧! So what should I do, if I could buy the bases new I would but you need to buy the whole mirror unit or would I get them painted satin black? Want to keep to OEM as much as possible, what have you folks done 😀.

Hope this makes sense.

spooke

Advanced Member
Tried some of this stuff?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acwE3vwhoRQ[/media]

joiner

Advanced Member
Not tried the heat gun yet, i used it on other parts but not those. Don't get me wrong, when I first got it they were near grey, tried some of my potions and it blackened them no bother but the marbling effect still stays :(. I obtained a mirror for spare internal parts last year from a member and when his one came up it had the same effect, it may be that they are all like that, I Just don't know or am I being too OCD, would be nice to compare with a new one and see:).

Fez

Advanced Member
Mine were very grey, i used auto glym plastic conditioner and worked perfectly

Before

After

I did it beginning of september and its still like it now.

muffinman

Advanced Member
Forever black is pretty good stuff, it actually dyes the plastic and is a better permanent fix

p1tse

Advanced Member
The picture of yours of what marbles effects looks like the plastic coating is slightly split

I would say all of the above plastic conditioner will only mask it up temporarily

Would be intrigued what these sprayed up would looks like

joiner

Advanced Member
I know what your saying patch, usually back to black or the many other products bring them back but as you say it masks the marbling effect.

I think I seen before on the forum that someone colour coded there's but not sure if would look too much and defo not OEM hence the satin black thought. It's my pet hate seeing faded polished stained plastics, scuttle panel has come up a treat & every other exterior plastic has been replaced with new so this is my final problem :)

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I use peanut smooth butter.....

Plastics go dull as the oils dry up over time. Heat gun treatment releases more oils to the surface and replenishes the look. Peanut butter just adds more natural oils and lasts pretty well.

Tiny bit on a cloth, rub it in, wipe it off a few mins later. Job done.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk