missfire and engine light on

twitch

ill start with the missfire, early morning last week was late for work so instead of the usual start it up and let the engine warm up i had to just get in and drive, got to the end of my road everything fine. got to the slip road to join the dual carriage way. put my foot down abit in i think 4th gear at the time, then the problem started. cruising along its fine, when i put my foot down or even pull away it missfires and badly so much that it starts to pop and bang.
anyway after work i decided to let it warm up before even setting off home. nice and warm at this point i decided to give it abit of revs to see if the problem was still there. which it was.
got it home and got the spark plugs out, bearing in mind i gave it a service just before christmas i didnt think it was the spark plugs, anyway got them out and gave them a bit of a clean. put them back in, took it for a spin still doing it abit but on when its cold, soon as its warmed up its fine and drives normal.

im guessing its the coil packs but thought id run it past you guys first.

now engine light, it came on just after i had kind of solved the problem above. it stayed on even when the car was running 'normally'.
be frustrated from yet another problem i had a look under the bonnet again and just played around with all the wiring hoping for just a loose connection. after some time of doing this... i thought id get back in and see if its still on. to my surprise it had turned off.
any ideas what it could have been or still is? im guessing a faulty sensor that i manhandled back or something.

thanks in advance and again this i just to see if anyone else has had similar problems and what they did

Stoo

Whining.....
Have you flashed the code to see what it is?

As for your misfire, I'd suggest coil packs.

Do you unplug any of them with the ignition on?

twitch

Have you flashed the code to see what it is?

As for your misfire, I'd suggest coil packs.

Do you unplug any of them with the ignition on?
sorry flashed the code?
as for coilpacks do you know a supplier? bit new to dc5's and cant seem to find parts anywhere apart from used ebay bits.
no i didnt unplug and with the ignition on as i was only cleaning the spark plugs at this point

twitch

The light and and sometimes will turn off after some time. I think it could be your lambda sensor. They can cause all sorts of issues.

Check this link to get your engine code as it will be stored in the computers memory.
http://www.itr-dc5.c...self-diagnosis/
thanks sorry should really search and look around before starting new threads.
have a look at the weekend and post any updates.

thanks again

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If your primary lambda is having trouble , it can make the car rum like a piece of poo. When it's running closed loop ( not in vtec) the ecu relies on the lambda sensor to correct the air fuel ratio dependent on the load from the engine, this can change many times per second. It constantly monitors and adjusts , If the lambda probe gives the wrong signals back, the ecu doesn't know what to do and often dumps way too much fuel into the cylinder which causes a bad misfire and the pops and bangs, it is also a self resetting code so the cel can go on and off at will.

I would suggest it is not your coil packs . Reset the ecu and try again, ( disconnect the battery for 5 mins) if the cel is still on then you can read the error code yourself easily at home, by reading the code we can find out what is causing the cel.

twitch

If your primary lambda is having trouble , it can make the car rum like a piece of poo. When it's running closed loop ( not in vtec) the ecu relies on the lambda sensor to correct the air fuel ratio dependent on the load from the engine, this can change many times per second. It constantly monitors and adjusts , If the lambda probe gives the wrong signals back, the ecu doesn't know what to do and often dumps way too much fuel into the cylinder which causes a bad misfire and the pops and bangs, it is also a self resetting code so the cel can go on and off at will.

I would suggest it is not your coil packs . Reset the ecu and try again, ( disconnect the battery for 5 mins) if the cel is still on then you can read the error code yourself easily at home, by reading the code we can find out what is causing the cel.
thanks, yeah ill disconnect the battery first thing saturday morning and then see if any error codes come up.
the CEL light isnt on anymore so would i still get an error code?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
There can be a code stored , but you would need to do that before resetting the ecu as it will clear the codes

Stoo

Whining.....
It could be coil pack related...

I wouldn't rule it out Si.

The more common answer is the Lambda Probe though...
Clearing up when warm could suggest either.

Best thing to do is to flash the code first.

mikegsi

Staff member
Flash the code first, easy enough to do, if your near me you can borrow my code reader..

Then pull the Ecu fuse rather than disconnecting the battery, saves your radio settings, auto window etc

twitch

Flash the code first, easy enough to do, if your near me you can borrow my code reader..

Then pull the Ecu fuse rather than disconnecting the battery, saves your radio settings, auto window etc
im from reading, not sure if you close or not. wouldnt mind travelling to someone that knows more than me about it all

Stoo

Whining.....
Radio codes and auto windows are easy to reset.

I'd fully disconnect the battery and discharge all the electrical system to be sure.

It's easy to flash the code with a paper clip following th guide on here.
Saves you buying a reader.

twitch

right just flashed the code got 1 long flash and 7 short flashes and from the link provided that reads
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Malfunction

so from that im guessing its the coilpacks.

thanks for the help by the way and anyone know how to sort the actual code i got?

Stoo

Whining.....
Vehicle speed sensor is the electronic signal to the ECU to tell it how fast the car is going. Not the coil packs.

I'd have a look at the wiring ad see if it's damaged at all.

twitch

Vehicle speed sensor is the electronic signal to the ECU to tell it how fast the car is going. Not the coil packs.

I'd have a look at the wiring ad see if it's damaged at all.
sorry i ment from that im guessing the missfiring is due to the coil packs.
yeah ill have to have a look tomorrow (even though im not exactly sure where im looking)

twitch

new code now. its coming up with 45 - fuel mixture too lean. recently added redex fuel system cleaner. followed the instuctions fully.
is it worth draining the fuel?

thanks in advance