Modded CTR or Standard DC5

morgan

Advanced Member
mardon said:
What do you think.. ?
Why would you possibly buy a modded car ? Personally, I would *never* touch one. The clear message here is "I have been thrashed senseless on a regular basis".

Buy the DC5. Same rules apply - only if standard. (or find yourself a standard civic with a nice FHSH owned by someone who just wanted the badge to toddle round in)

mardon

Morgan I used to have the same opinion as you when it comes to modified cars. Then I bought mine and modded it and my opinion changed. Ok I have driven it hard at times but I have looked after it and have always waited for it to warm up etc. The mods I have added have improved the car no end. They are also the mods most people would do to the car anyway. So the way I looked at the civic was it looked well looked after and had a list of popular modifications most people do anyway (obviously you’d have to go and have a proper look round it). So if the car was mint you’d save a bomb on adding things you’d do anyway.

Another way to look at it is the modded cars on this forum are in most cases still going to be well looked after examples.

Celox unfortunately I’m working 7 days weeks at the moment to save some cash. I’ll send you a PM another time to arrange quick look round it. Do you live in Neston by any chance. Think I’ve seen a CW Teg round that area.

Oulton Park is quite small and twisty isn’t it. Bet the DC5 performs well round that! Shame I love watching track days too!

celox performance

Advanced Member
No I don't live in Neston but I do park up and drive around Neston quite a bit. There's another CW Teg going around the Wirral - 'FLO'. You may have heard about it??

Oulton Park does have quite a few bends, but due to the gear ratios a couple of bends aren't suited that well to the DC5 gearing and you either have to change up too early, meaning you're not extracting the fuell potential from the engine, or leave it in 2nd gear, again not getting the full potential from the engine. This is where a Civic will get the upper hand. There are 3 bends like this that I can think of but the long fast sweeping bends are simply awesome and can be taken at ridiculous speeds due to the LSD and these are no match for a Civic and will outperform almost every type of hard top car on this type of bend :D . This is where the DC5 comes into its own.

M6DLY

Advanced Member
EP3 is a sleeper if you ask me. Much more subtle, which is important if you want to look after you licence!

And if you’re wondering about insurance, I’m 23 and my DC5 cost nearly £1900 for a year. My friend has an EP3 he’s been driving for a year less than me and is a year younger than me, and he pays £800…

kingston

Advanced Member
M6DLY said:
EP3 is a sleeper if you ask me. Much more subtle, which is important if you want to look after you licence!
not really, car owned for almost 3 years, been pulled twice, once for speeding, once for him being bored (i assume). Dont drive it like a knob jockey and you wont attract the attention of the Police.

As for anyone thinking that there cars not been 'thrashed' by any prior owners, who are you trying to kid? people dont buy these cars to pootle around in, unless like it seems the populaton around where i live where the majority of ctr owners are 50+ women

Martctr

Advanced Member
I can help on this one.

Insurance is cheaper, but that's import for you.

I went to the DC5 as the CTR is common and doesn't have the wow factor of the DC5. I do miss the CTR's power as I had K-pro and some other mods and my DC5 is standard so it feels slow in comparrision. If you bought the civic all modified then you would be smiling.

Have you looked at JDM ep3? Few knocking about at lower prices than DC5 + parts are cheap on the forum. A spoon N1 for example is on there for £99!! That way it comes with LSD and recaros and it's rare.

mardon

I have been looking at the JDM's. Such a nice car and IMHO will still turn heads in white. How much more do they weigh?

What mods did your CTR have to make the DC5 feel slower in comparison? (other than the kpro).

mardon

Just tried sky for insurance but they can only quote 25's now. I'll try a few more over the weekend. Here's hoping I can get an ok price.

If not then the civic maybe the only option for a couple of years :(

Martctr

Advanced Member
Well it rolling roaded before K-pro at 225bhp (Accord type R rolling road meet) with just a v1, and a Blueflame cat back! I had an earthing kit, but doubt they made much difference lol.

Also had back stripped out 8)

mardon

Well that’s out the window :(

Can't get a quote on a 23 year old. Gutted. Most places just said you have to be over 25 without taking any details.

So may well get a civic for a couple of years. At least I’ll get some Honda reliability.

Evs

Advanced Member
How about a DC2? They are a great drive (much better than an EP3 imho) and obviously available as a UK car which makes insurance a bit easier.

Sorry if that's been suggested before and discarded as an option.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I was insured at 23 as well, though I think most insurance companies have changed their policies not :cry:

mardon

That's what I think it is. If your already insured they will offer you a renewal but not on a new policy. Going to try a few more places tomorrow. Does look like it'll have to go on hold for a few years.

I like the DC2 but i'm after a newer car. Don't really want to pay the higher maintenance on a older model.

Saturday i'm going to go have a look at the civic in my first post then on Sunday going to go have a look round the local Honda dealers and see what they have on offer.

The steering does concern me slightly with the Civic though. I love the way I know exactly what the Gti is doing. I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks for all the coment so far BTW. 8)

mardon

25 is the curse! Went to the honda dealership and they wouldn't even let me test drive a CTR due to not being 25. Guy was a bit rude TBH. Think i'm cursed. Had all these problems when I bought my Gti.

celox performance

Advanced Member
mardon said:
25 is the curse! Went to the honda dealership and they wouldn't even let me test drive a CTR due to not being 25. Guy was a bit rude TBH. Think i'm cursed. Had all these problems when I bought my Gti.
That sounds really weird :? . Surely they wouldn't expect you to buy a car without taking it for a test drive first.

mardon

They said I could drive one but i'd have to provide them with a covernote showing that I was covered on my own insurance. Which is fair enough TBH, it was more they guys attitude. He seemed really uninterested.

The other civic (on the first page) has been withdrawn from pistonheads now.

Might have a look in to the JDM CTR see if I have more look with that. Diff as standard too :)

Saw another DC5 on the wirral today. Didn't spot the reg but it was CW with black alloys. Wonder if that makes 3?

premadonna555

Advanced Member
mardon said:
They said I could drive one but i'd have to provide them with a covernote showing that I was covered on my own insurance. Which is fair enough TBH, it was more they guys attitude. He seemed really uninterested.
Not going to stand up for the salesman at all. But i used to work at honda, first on car sales, then performance sales and finally as bike sales manager.

You can probably imagine the number of 'young' lads that pop up to honda asking to take a CTR/S2000 out for drive. The percentage of those that actually bought one was probably 2.5% if you were lucky.

You may think, well surely it's his job to try and get that 2.5%, well true, but there's 2 sides to that.

1) If he's with you, then he's not in the showroom trying to sell a jazz to a pair of pensioners and make some nice money as they will spec it up with all honda extras.

2) The CTR's are company cars. We got protective, not wanting to let anyone take it that would thrash it! lol.

If you call up and say "i've just got a bank loan and looking at the CTR" then they'll change their mind about the insurance policy. (Ours covered all ages on all cars but with an excess of £3,000)

Have to agree about the steering on the civic, it's far too light and assisted. You can try Admiral for a quote, but you're talking £1700 a year.

mardon

Quotes on the CTR aren't too bad TBH its just anything imported.

I said to the guy I was going to get a DC5 but couldn't get insurance due to it being an import. I also told him I was looking to buy before the end of feb (which I was). still didn't seem interested.

I completely agree with all your points premadonna555. Still left a sour taste in my mouth non the less.

Is 23 classed as a young lad nowerdays? :wink: