Mod's please delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Re: Tappets or Rocker/Roller assembly

Half way through the first video he puts the camera down beside the timing chain and it sounds fine. At the front however...

We'll not know until he gets his hands dirty.

wj51fut

Advanced Member

I will check and clean the injectors when I look at it on Monday. Honda changed the tensioner about 8 months ago. But will check if it's slack. I agree that it's more at the front than anywhere else. I use v-power all the time and put slick 50 in about a year ago.

cpoh

Advanced Member

Would Tom from TGM not have been able to spot if it was as straight forward as noisy tappets or a problem with the injectors even the cam chain? Im no expert but i would imagine if the top DC5 expert in the country thought it was something complex that needed the engine stripping to determine he is more than likely on the ball ;)

If she is pulling grand and has been for the last few years i wouldnt worry too much about it. No point wasting bigt money on it unless something starts to go wrong!

wj51fut

Advanced Member

So to Verify: What is the measurement for the lash?

Is there a quick guide on how to check them? (the manual is abit lengthy!!)

I could move the tappets a little bit, i thought because it was a roller bearing that it would be in constant contact? Can someone explain???

I agree and i thought that Tom @ TGM would have thought of that but he didnt investigate the top end at all.

12T

Advanced Member

Hi wj51fut,
what mods you got on your car also do you take your car to 150mph+ quite often?
Does your engine management light blink when driving at a certain speed or doing top speeds?
What mileage is you teg?
Sorry for all the questions lol as i have the same problem/noise :( but mine is more louder where the chain is with also the tappet noise at the front like yours.

Ok there should be 2 sounds one is dut dut dut dut...... on the side of engine and the second is dit dit dit dit dit..... from the front where the injectors are? or am i hearing things on your video? I used headphones btw

My bro checked my chain and compared it to the k20a engine he has sitting in the garage, he did say that it felt loose compared to the other engine. So my chain will be getting changed first and if its not that problem then it would be the tensioner which would be easier to fit as the engine wouldn't have to come out again. While thats been done he's going to inspect my valves to see if its been touching while the timing was off and also to check everything.
This is a long process as this problem is very rare :( as i said i heard your engine and im 99.9% sure that it sounds like mine. All my parts have been ordered so wont be long until i can shed some light about this. :) but if you get yours sorted before me keep us updated.

Good luck dude ;)

wj51fut

Advanced Member

Ok,

So i had a look on Monday and took the cams out and STILL couldnt find anything wrong with the car.

The tappets were fine and no major wear on the cams.

TBH i think im going to trade her in for a newer model or might save up for an FD2.

I love this car to bits but i just cant keep chucking money at it.

sinbad

Advanced Member

wj51fut said:
Ok,
I love this car to bits but i just cant keep chucking money at it.
then stop worrying, turn up the radio and enjoy the car. If it breaks...fix it.

VT-Doo

RushDoo

So I assume the springs were ok too?...and the injectors :?:

wj51fut

Advanced Member

From inspecting the springs they looked ok and the injectors looked clean but without bench testing them i will never know.

going to see how my car fairs performance wise with my mates DC5, if they are almost identical then i wont worry and just put up with it and as sinbad says, will just turn up the stereo and fix the car if it breaks. I know its probably not the right thing to do but just havent got the money to look any further into it.

VT-Doo

RushDoo

So you've only looked at them and not put redex or anything through the fuel system :?:

wj51fut

Advanced Member

I put slick 50 through ages ago and that seemed to make the noise even worse. is there anyway of checking to see if the injectors are working properly without sending them away to be bench tested?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

I've listened to your videos again...I'm convinced the noise is your injectors. Personally I'd try a different set in the engine. EP3 injector will probably be same.

Like you said, the noise changed when you put Slick 50 in with your fuel.

Still cheaper than a rebuild.

wj51fut

Advanced Member

cool. might nick my mates whilst he's not looking!!

Do you think changing them around might make a difference?

I know that if there broken there broken but it might change the noise or harshness of it atleast???

VT-Doo

RushDoo

Have a search on YouTube for noisy injectors.

An old skool test you could do is; get a long screwdriver, place the metal end on the part you want to listen to and the other side to your ear...have a listen to everything including the injectors :lol:
It's old skool so not exactly foolproof! :lol:
Seriously!!!

wj51fut

Advanced Member

I forgot to mention that the V-TEC doesnt always kick in at 5,800 rpm, sometimes its @6k or 6,500 or even 7k!! sometimes it doesnt kick in at all!!

So i spoke to Tom @TGM today and he said that it could be a number of things...

1, Oil pressure
2, V-TEC solenoid
3, V-TEC control unit
4, V-TEC controller on the cam

He said that he has heard these to go and that if it were the one on the cam then that would eplain the none V-TEC part and the noise as it has its own oil well and pump?!? Apparently it can make a ticking noise and can make the car run 'lumpy'.

Its going up there on the 26th for an oil pressure test and to see if we can change afew parts around.
VT-Doo: I have put another bottle of slick 50 in and ran two tanks of fuel in it and still making the noise.

Kinli

Advanced Member

wj51fut said:
I forgot to mention that the V-TEC doesnt always kick in at 5,800 rpm, sometimes its @6k or 6,500 or even 7k!! sometimes it doesnt kick in at all!!

So i spoke to Tom @TGM today and he said that it could be a number of things...

1, Oil pressure
2, V-TEC solenoid
3, V-TEC control unit
4, V-TEC controller on the cam

He said that he has heard these to go and that if it were the one on the cam then that would eplain the none V-TEC part and the noise as it has its own oil well and pump?!? Apparently it can make a ticking noise and can make the car run 'lumpy'.

Its going up there on the 26th for an oil pressure test and to see if we can change afew parts around.
VT-Doo: I have put another bottle of slick 50 in and ran two tanks of fuel in it and still making the noise.
If you had kpro a simple datalog could reveal several things...

VTEC, not V-TEC. :p

1. Oil pressure - hopefully not the problem as that would probably mean new oil pump etc. and running around with low oil pressure is never a good thing..

2. VTEC Solenoid - Rocker arm oil control solenoid? Hopefully this is the problem as you don't need to take the whole engine apart to fix this. See picture:

3. VTEC control unit - The K20A doesn't have a VTEC Oil pressure switch (or rocker arm oil pressure switch) like the K20A2. Although, I'm not sure if that's what tgm meant with "control unit". It's a shame we don't get the pressure switch as it could give a early warning about oil pressure problems like if the engine drops out of vtec when it shouldn't - you get a CEL.

4. VTEC controller on the cam - There isn't anything else VTEC related on the cam except the VTC cam gear on the intake cam and that's just adjusting the cam angle 0°-50°. I do believe you can still hit VTEC even if the VTC would be broken (=locked at xx°), at least this is possible with kpro without any special modifications. However, the stock ecu might give a cel and the vtec "kick" would feel weird as the cam angle is wrong. overall the engine would run badly with a locked vtc gear. if it's locked at anything else than 0° then the idle should also be higher.

There is just one oil pump in a K-series engine.

Noisewise I dunno.. low oil pressure can eat up the engine to a slow (or very fast) death and cause noise (bearings, cam tower #5 etc.) a clogged vtec solenoid would be a perfect problem, but I don't think it could cause noise. VTC gear... well yeah, if it somehow is able to move just a bit but not to the wanted angle the it might give some noise as it keeps trying to move?

anyway, good luck. :)

12T

Advanced Member

Hello guys jut to give you an update on my car. My engine is out and on a stand, just showed my brother the vid of your car and he is pretty sure my car car sounded like yours well the early simptoms before mine got louder.

Anyway took my cam cover off, cranked the engine and the chain was hopping everytime it was cranked over. So i think u should check this out on your car as mentioned in previous posts. You dont need to take ur engine out for this! only reason my engine is out is because my bro wanted to check to see if anything is damaged while the timing was out. My friend had a timing problem with his car and he bent a valve. The timing could be the reason why ur vtec is all over the place.

Good luck in finding the problem mate.
I will post my own thread up on the problem section to keep ppl updated.

Cheers

Russ

wj51fut

Advanced Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr3BZPhJaGc

Listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu0DnQPv ... er&list=UL

The first is a Honda S2K with a broken TCT

Could it be the tensioner? ive taken it out and put it back in myself twice but still making this noise. Could the chain be stretched? Abyone else got or had a similar problem?

Oil pressure is spot on and Tom @ TGM said the the inside of the car is imaculate. He only replaced the bottom end bearings so hasnt looked at the top end put we did use a stethascope type thing and the noise seemed to be coming from the top end in the middle. I havent had the springs out and i doubt a bent valve would have lasted this long. Cams look ok and no wear on anything else. I need to let someone drive it or for me to see what a 5 is like really to see if there is any difference. Car still goes but is quite hesitant when pulling away, like your going to stall sometimes and still getting a slight overrun when changing gear especially when turned on for 5 minutes from cold.

Whatever it is it needs to be sorted asap but i just do not have the funds to take it to TGM again. I would do the work myself (rebuild if needed) but do not have the tools or space to do the job.

If anyone could help me and would like to listen to the car in person then i will gladly meet up with you, im in the Exeter/Bristol area! (big i know)

Kinli

Advanced Member

How much had the tensioner expanded?
You can determine how much the chain has stretched depending on how much the tensioner is moving.
btw, have you checked the timing? depending on where the timing is off (in cam, ex cam or crank) the car might or might not give a cel. It will also cause noise and the engine will not run smoothly. So pop the cover and rotate the crank until the chain marks align with the cam gears (might take A LOT of cycles). Then look at the crank and check it's on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.