Mod's please delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Re: Tappets or Rocker/Roller assembly

From what i can remember the chain guide was in good nick. how easy is it to change the VTC actuator? are they costly? can i do it without taking the cam out? surely if it wasnt working well then i wouldnt be able to keep up with my mate?!? or is it just a noisy thing when out of Vtec? Might be borrowing my mates EP3 next week so will rip the injectors out of that abd see what happens.

12T

Advanced Member

Hi there WJF1FUT this is Russ's brother (Rich), I'm a mechanic and he's been telling me that u have a noise problem which sounds loud from top and bottom when standing at a distance or when ur under the car. I've been looking at ur videos and it seems to me that the noise is louder on the chain side and sounds similar to Russ's DC5 imho. However, forget about the suggestions of wot it can be from some ppl and just try and isolate the noise properly.
To isolate the noise i would use a stethoscope or a extra long screw driver and place it on any solid part of the engine where u suspect the noise is coming from (not moving parts i.e. pulleys etc). Make sure u listen very carefully! If u was to use a screw driver, place the tip of it i.e. on the rocker cover and use the handle as a headphone ensuring that its firmly on your ear. Take ur time and make sure u check everything.
With a long screwdriver u can place it down the side of the engine on the timing side i.e. timing chain cover, tensioner cover without injuring urself but do be careful of moving parts.

Check Points for LISTENING:

-Rocker Cover (Check areas of cover)
-Timing cover
-TCT cover
-VTEC Actuators/Controllers etc.
-Head
-Bottom End
You get the point just thorough checks and you can isolate the problem!!!

Also jus wanted to know how u checked ur tensioner? did u visually inspect it for defects i.e. damaged ratchet teeth?

MOD EDIT: Offering to help is one thing, offering to fix something for a fee counts as "Trading", and we have rules for that.

wj51fut

Advanced Member

When I went to TGM, Tom had the stethoscope out and we found that the noise was at the top end of the engine on the bottom of the rocker cover right in the middle. Could the VTC actuator be making the cam out of sync in anyway thus causing the noise? I started the car up this noting after leaving it since Friday night and I 'rattled' for about 2 seconds before dying down to it's normal noise. Could this be lack of oil to the actuator as the pressure would have dropped over the few days?! Or could it be the oil wells on the cam which are clogged. Vtec doesn't seem so 'pokey' as my mates but as I said it keeps up with him. I don't think it's a problem just more of a noise that's wrong with it.

wj51fut

Advanced Member

To be honest he didnt give me alot to go on. He doesnt think it matters that the noise is there, fair enough. But also said that you could do a full engine rebuild and still find nothing. So basically leave it as it doesnt seem to be causing any problems... Now, i dont want to go down the route of an engine rebuild anyway because of the cost and it wouldnt be worth it for just the noise!! Just wmndered if anyone else has had a problem with the VTC actuator or not or similar symptoms to what im having.

wj51fut

Advanced Member

Ok. I know this thread has been going on along time and i have had lots of help from alot of people, I thankyou very much.

I have bought a brand new VTC actuator to replace my old one as this seems to be the problem. Looking at them both, the one i got from Honda is in a different position than the one on the car... Im guessing the one from Honda is in 'non-VTEC mode' and mine has moved to VTEC mode. This coiuld be because there is play in the actuator or it has got stuck in this position. Is that possible? Also when you try and time the inlet cam up it doesnt seem to 'fall' into place like the exhaust cam does, me thinks that the actuator has moved the cam (as it would in VTEC (50 degrees)) and has got stuck there. The car is quite jolty to drive like it wants to go but is hesitant.

Anyway i had a go at removing the old one but the bolt is stuck on tight so will take it to TGM in the next week to get it done. (dont trust Honda to do anything anymore)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Re: Tappets or Rocker/Roller assembly-- Now FIXED!!!!

As the post says ive managed to fix the car! it was the VTC actuator in the end. Still needs the inlet tappets done but will wait until i have got my new cam cover and the engine is stone cold.

I would like to thank everyone for there efforts in helping me solve this problem. The people on this forum are really helpful and a good bunch. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Re: Tappets or Rocker/Roller assembly-- Now FIXED!!!!

Glad you got it sorted :D
Disappointed in myself that I couldn't guess the problem :-#

EK9turbo said:
From experience on the K20 I would advise you inspect the VTC actuator, I've replaced a few of these that have developed a rattle in the past! I believe it can occur from the small oilways getting clogged with oil film or contaminants.
=D>

Not bad, I impressed, Tom couldn't fix it and he had the car.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
As the post says ive managed to fix the car! it was the VTC actuator in the end. Still needs the inlet tappets done but will wait until i have got my new cam cover and the engine is stone cold.

I would like to thank everyone for there efforts in helping me solve this problem. The people on this forum are really helpful and a good bunch. Keep up the good work and thanks again!
Oh dear!!

Seems like the problem is still there... I have changed the vtc actuator and it did make a difference but not for long. There is enough oil getting to it and all the oil ways are clear. (think it was a bit of a placebo)
Even took out the cams, rocker assembley and towers today, only thing left in the head are the valves and springs!! Checked every single one for play and wear and tear and nothing. apart from on cylinder no.3, the tappets esspecially the right one looks 'burnt' on the under side (the flat part which hits the valve) coulkd this be an indication of lack of oil and so what is left will burn? under each cam tower looks slightly pitted or scratched too, could this be the same thing?
All the valve springs seem to be intact and they are not broken in any way. cant move them by hand so no play in them either. All the seals from what i can see are still ok too.

I have been reading other peoples posts about big end bearings going and it seems like i have similar symptoms, (rough idle, groaning/rumble noise on idle, difficult to pull away, hesitant, takes a while to get revs up, vtec doesnt seem so profound)
I also seem to get what can only be described as a very low sounding supercharger whine when on full chat. is that normal???

Anybody else had these kind of problems?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
It sounds the same only this time it's a bit quieter. This is because I have swapped the two bars over that hold all the tappets together and I swapped over some of the tappets ie; no1 cylinder to no3, no3 to no2, no2 to no4 and no4 to no1. Done this on both inlet and exhaust. As said before, the cam towers look worn on the nderside of them but not sure if this is normal. Asked Honda for a price on new cam towers and they said you have to buy the whole head at a cost of £2,100!! It sounds to me like a 'tapping' noise like a loose tappet. Suppose my only other choice is to take all the bits out and send them off to be analysed.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Ok so I got the injectors cleaned and that hasn't made any difference what so ever. Was thinking of turning the engine over using an air gun on the crank but taking the spark plugs and injectors out to stop some of the compression. That way I could see what's going on without being showered with oil!!

Mark_teg

Staff member
Air gun would probably undo/snap the bolt before turning the engine over mate..

Air gun will have power, but no torque. A bar and socket and 'feel' will be better.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Right. These are the parts i have changed and checked;

VTC cam (on the inlet)
Lost motion assemblies
Injectors cleaned professionally
Cam tower tops as mine were worn
Bottom end bearings

I have fully inspected the top end apart from the valves (as I would need to take the head off) and cannot see anything untoward.

The only thing that I have found out is that the noise seems to be the tappets. I re-adjust them to 0.21mm and some of them seem to either go tighter or looser after about 200 miles. what would cause this?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
are you a qualified engineer/mechanic?

is the engine absolutly stone cold when you are setting and checking?

Status
Not open for further replies.