More power through N/A tuning?

12T

Advanced Member
HI
I noticed not many guys on here have talked much about getting more power from this stage so i thought i make a post as i may go down that extreme and expensive tuning route.

More power for my dc5 through N/A tuning?
I already have the following:

Buddy Club Spec 3 camshafts
Buddy Club cam pulley
Buddy Club dual valve springs
Buddy Club Titanium retainers
Buddy Club condenser kit(earthing)
Toda chain tensioner
Toda exhaust manifold
RBC inlet manifold
Hondata heat shield gasket
Hondata K'pro
Gruppe M air intake
J's Racing throttle body

I know the stroker kits would give me more power but i dont want to touch that last not until ive done all the top end.
What do you guys recommend i should do? I have heard you can port and polish but dont know if its done already as standard on our cars (like the dc2).
Anyone had blue printing done to their cars or is that same as port and polish?
I am lost lol
Thought about individual throttle bodies but what gains would i see?

Any other bits worth upgrading?

Opinions or advice welcome :D

Russ

logik

Advanced Member
Really i would have thought with that work done the only next stage where you would see big improvements would be to super charge it.

What exhaust are you running?

Jayk

Advanced Member
I take it you have an exhaust? How comes you didnt have the Toda High Comp headgasket when you had all the cams fitted? That would have made a difference.

Now whatever you do will cost big money. To stay N/A you could add Throttle Bodies, quite a few kits out there now, especially in the US. High comp pistons, then Stroker.

I think you should leave it at that and be happy with it! Get it on the track!

fonz600

Advanced Member
Blue Printing as far as I understand is weighing and measuring all the individual components and making sure they are exactly the same.
That would be expensive.

Well I think thats what it is anyway.

If you wanna stay N/A think you'll need a stroker next and possibly look into a bigger diameter exhaust.

12T

Advanced Member
logik said:
Really i would have thought with that work done the only next stage where you would see big improvements would be to super charge it.

I want N/A power my cousin has supercharger already, i want raw engine power lol.
I have a kakimoto regu exhaust did have the amuse but was too loud for me to handle sometimes lol but it sounds amazing and grabs the right attention, doesnt sound like any exhaust out the when giving WOT..... 8)

Well if i was to go stroker kit that would be the last thing i do because thats the only thing you can do to the bottom end of engine.

fonz600 said:
Blue Printing as far as I understand is weighing and measuring all the individual components and making sure they are exactly the same.
That would be expensive.

If you wanna stay N/A think you'll need a stroker next and possibly look into a bigger diameter exhaust.
I got told blueprinting was matching every hole and parts together (meaning no gaps or over lapping of each part)giving it straight flow through and out of the engine. Correct me if im wrong...

As for exhaust mine is fine i only need a bigger diameter if i was goin down the forced induction route.

lambo_conor

get nitrous m8 i did and its unreal 287bhp i made and 214 torque
make sure you get a progressive controller and a aem air/fuel gauge and you will b safe :p

fonz600

Advanced Member
12T said:
logik said:

I want N/A power my cousin has supercharger already, i want raw engine power lol.
I have a kakimoto regu exhaust did have the amuse but was too loud for me to handle sometimes lol but it sounds amazing and grabs the right attention, doesnt sound like any exhaust out the when giving WOT..... 8)

Well if i was to go stroker kit that would be the last thing i do because thats the only thing you can do to the bottom end of engine.

fonz600 said:
That would be expensive.

I got told blueprinting was matching every hole and parts together (meaning no gaps or over lapping of each part)giving it straight flow through and out of the engine. Correct me if im wrong...

As for exhaust mine is fine i only need a bigger diameter if i was goin down the forced induction route.
I dunno mate. Maybe a combination of both. Just thought it was to do with keep all the valve train/bottom end etc running sweet. What you said makes sense as well though.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Their is still a lot more that could be done, even before considering stroking, ITB's etc etc....

Just to give you a rough idea:

Higher Compression
Forged Pistons
Forged Con Rods
Uprated Oil system.. no joke.... go dry sumped.. and your be able to run more rpm (safely).. and spin the engine more... (while doing this.. oil feed lines could be modified...)
Invest in a high flow cyclinger head... fully flowed... bigger inlet and exhaust ports.
Lining the cyclinder block
Blue Print (as others have said)

With all this... and changes to better components than on your list... you will be very surprised :wink:

Along with all the engine work... what about investing a good amount in the Suspension and Geo setup... this alone will knock circuit lap times down...

Mike

Mase

A couple things I recommend:

Dont jump to head work just yet. These cylinder heads flow much better than old dc2 heads.

If you're looking for more power, High compression/better cam combo. (or if u can get get a k24 block).

RBC is decent for intake manifold. A nice 4-1 Header with a great merge collector usually yields highest gaines.

ITB's are great for throttle response and midrange. but they are a little more sensitive to drive.

Last and most important thing is good TUNING! 99.9% of the cars I tune, the prior tunes can be improved upon. These engines are very efficient. I've tuned several 2.0L's over 250 whp (wheel horsepower not bhp)

12T

Advanced Member
lambo_conor said:
get nitrous m8 i did and its unreal 287bhp i made and 214 torque
make sure you get a progressive controller and a aem air/fuel gauge and you will b safe :p
I think you got the wrong car m8 lol im not really a drag race guy so it doesnt interest me and it will only last lest than a min on track day.

Mase said:
A couple things I recommend:

Dont jump to head work just yet. These cylinder heads flow much better than old dc2 heads.

If you're looking for more power, High compression/better cam combo. (or if u can get get a k24 block).

RBC is decent for intake manifold. A nice 4-1 Header with a great merge collector usually yields highest gaines.

ITB's are great for throttle response and midrange. but they are a little more sensitive to drive.

Last and most important thing is good TUNING! 99.9% of the cars I tune, the prior tunes can be improved upon. These engines are very efficient. I've tuned several 2.0L's over 250 whp (wheel horsepower not bhp)
I have most of these breathing mods already, for good tuning my car is running a bit lean atm :? getting it re-tuned again. Long stressful story dont ask. lol

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Re: reply

Mase said:
Mase, any plans to visit Ireland or the UK?

Would'nt mind the extra 15WHP to get me over the 250WHP mark :lol:

Mase

I am def going to be coming back to the UK before the end of the year. most likely december time frame.

If there is enough interest to come to ireland a couple days, I'll be happy to. Had a good turn out last time I came to ireland.

Stoo

Whining.....
Blueprinting is exactly that!

Taking the blueprints of an engine and machining all the parts to exact tolerances, as the designer first intended

ie, not factory, rough guesstimation type tolerances

EXACT

LeeH

Advanced Member
Re: reply

Mase said:
I am def going to be coming back to the UK before the end of the year. most likely december time frame.

If there is enough interest to come to ireland a couple days, I'll be happy to. Had a good turn out last time I came to ireland.
Where abouts in Ireland Mase? And do you plan to come to the mainland UK?

Oh, when will you have a date for your Ireland visit? :D

Mase

I flew into cork last time i came to ireland. The dyno we used (cant remember the name) was having a hard time keeping traction on a 350 whp s2000. So we need to find a better dyno.

In UK, i fly into london, there are several dynos in the area, I usually tune 6-10 cars each trip. UK is always a must when I come, there is always a high demand for good tuning.

I dont have a date set, most likely sometime in december. either before or after christmas. Which might be a bad time for some, but its the only time I can take enough time to get away from the USA for an extended period.

Mase

Great,

That place just purchased a dyno dynamics, same brand/model of the dyno I own :)

will def look into coming to dublin if the interest is high enough. I dont tune just hondas, I tune all kinds.