More power through N/A tuning?

vtecboy

Advanced Member
12T, how much money have you spent on all of that, say compared with a supercharger after the 'basics' have been done? I admire the route you're going down !

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
what power you look to get going down pure NA over supercharged/turbo conversions?

mods to look/sound impressive :D

12T

Advanced Member
vtecboy said:
12T, how much money have you spent on all of that, say compared with a supercharger after the 'basics' have been done? I admire the route you're going down !
Too much money lol i spent roughly 4k+ on engine mods. Compared to s/c the money is roughly the same but the performance s/c wins hands down. I made roughly 253hp at fly my cousin JD s/c made 305hp at fly rough figures, quite a big difference. I would need to spent another 4k to reach 300bhp mark if doin n/a which i am goin to do sooner or later lol.

12T

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
what power you look to get going down pure NA over supercharged/turbo conversions?

mods to look/sound impressive :D
Im only looking for 300bhp after all this is a fwd car any more it would be rubbish around corners. N/A tunning will never be as powerful as forced induction unless i bolt a v8 engine in with 500hp.

Will be supercharging my s2k though 8)

Looks like im gonna take a break from doin my car for a while until i get some ideas and money, for now im goin to start working on the s2k and enjoy my dc5.

Keep posting ideas guys, for those who have gone beyond my stage tell us what mods you have and what figures you made?
Please do not suggest forced induction as this is a hardcore N/A thread lol

Russ

12T

Advanced Member
Re: reply

Mase said:
Last and most important thing is good TUNING! 99.9% of the cars I tune, the prior tunes can be improved upon. These engines are very efficient. I've tuned several 2.0L's over 250 whp (wheel horsepower not bhp)
Hi Mase what 2.0ltr engines have u tuned and what mods did they have?
I have buddyclub cams in my car, was tuned but not making good figure at max rpm i was told it was my cam profiles and thats the best they can do with it and they were crap cams :roll: is this true or can it be improved? tbh i think the tuners were crap!
dyno can be found here http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20414&start=15

If u can map my car 15whp more and improve gains through out the rpm also being on the safe side, i wouldn't mind investing in this :D

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
If you Google "Mase Engineering" you can find out about his projects... He tunes up everthing from Honda's to Evo's and GTR's.

Jayk

Advanced Member
dude you should add a K24 bottom end, and ITB's, im sure with the "right" map you would be up at 280+bhp.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Jayk said:
dude you should add a K24 bottom end, and ITB's, im sure with the "right" map you would be up at 280+bhp.
If you done that.... I would be ashamed if you didn't see 300+ wheel horse power :shock:

Mase

Hi Mase what 2.0ltr engines have u tuned and what mods did they have?
I have buddyclub cams in my car, was tuned but not making good figure at max rpm i was told it was my cam profiles and thats the best they can do with it and they were crap cams :roll: is this true or can it be improved? tbh i think the tuners were crap!
dyno can be found here http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20414&start=15
If u can map my car 15whp more and improve gains through out the rpm also being on the safe side, i wouldn't mind investing in this :D[/quote]

Hi,

I just looked at my files, and to date I've tuned 53 k-series engines. So yes, quite a bit. Now some of these are k24 bottom ends. Many ranging from stock to Naturally aspirated with bolt ons, to crazy NA builds...All the way to supercharged and turbocharged. Even a couple 700 whp+ turbo builds. Ive done just about every combo you can think of :)

Now on to your specific. Its really hard to tell you if you're right on the money or down on power, Every setup is different. I cant guarantee a certain improvement, however I can guarantee no one will give you a better tune. If i dont make improvements on your tune. Its free of charge (lol hasnt happend yet ;)).

Buddy Club cams are decent, but some of the newer US mfg cams ive had better results with. obviously each depends on supporting engine mods.

Mase

fonz600 said:
What about Scotland Mase?
honestly depends on demand. If there is enough interest (atleast 3 to 4) cars, i would be interested in traveling. I have not yet been to scotland, so id be curious to venture that way! It just has to be cost effective for me.

if you're interested, please PM and Id be happy to talk further. By the looks, this next trip will be london, luxembourg/germany, and seems enough interest for ireland!

Regards,
Mase

buddy club "try before you buy"car

Guys,

The lads at Buddyclub Race Dept. Dynoed the Road "try before you buy" Demo car today,
With very Modest road mods. i.e.,Rebore,HC Pistons,BC cams,BC springs,BC valves,BC header,BC spec 4 system, and BC Prototype induction kit(which alone gave a TESTED 25bhp improvement on our engine over another tested induction kit)
The engine combined package gave 270BHP and 209 Ft/lb torque!.
It also drives at 2000rpm in 4th and accelerates better than standard from then on, without bogging down, due to the high low down torque optimisation of 160 ft/lb at 2500 rpm. So buy your mum (or wife) one as a shopping car ?? WOW.

Vid of the event will be on line soon and a thread will be started if someone will give me a bit of help on that .

Regards,
Paul Hughes.
SPD Automotive Ltd.

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
12T - what are you going to use the car for?

Sounds like as a minimum you want to keep up with your cousin, have you tried different tyre/brake/suspension combinations?

Just changing from Bridgestones to Mitchelin pilot sports (in my opinion of course) made my car much quicker on our damp rutted UK roads.....I have about 200HP at the wheels and rarely get much wheel spin or hop as opposed to other tyre set ups when I got it all the time.

HTH
8)

raz786

Advanced Member
EJ did you try the Goodyear Asymetrics? Trying to decide what tyres I want next, heard the pilot sports are good as well, just don't know which to go for!

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Yes I have them on another car. Only negative with PS2 is sidewalls aren't as stiff as some but once you get used to that I think thats actually a benefit as it rides better and loses grip more progresively.

EDIT sorry I being a nob, I managed to get a set of PS1's not PS2, but PS2's are great but not available in 215/45/17.

jostrom

Advanced Member

Mase said:
Buddy Club cams are decent, but some of the newer US mfg cams ive had better results with. obviously each depends on supporting engine mods.
Yeah, the IPS K2 Mk2 cams are currently the best choice for a street-K20. I happen to have a new spare set available if someone's interested :wink:

12T

Advanced Member
ejwillistyles said:
12T - what are you going to use the car for?

Sounds like as a minimum you want to keep up with your cousin, have you tried different tyre/brake/suspension combinations?

Just changing from Bridgestones to Mitchelin pilot sports (in my opinion of course) made my car much quicker on our damp rutted UK roads.....I have about 200HP at the wheels and rarely get much wheel spin or hop as opposed to other tyre set ups when I got it all the time.

HTH
8)
Hi mate im goin to use my car for track fun really or maybe goin into serious racing one day when i have the time. LoL believe me i have no problem keeping up with my cousin because my car is a lil under powered than his :wink:

Tbh i never had oem tyres on my dc5, i did have them on my previous ep3's which where very crap...

I have most things on my car already and im pretty happy with it, just want more power... its an addiction once you mod you cant stop lol.

Russ

Hey 12T,
what power have you got,, and what power do you want ??
I notice you have BC cams, are they USA or UK cams.?

regards,
Paul,

jostrom said:
Mase said:
Yeah, the IPS K2 Mk2 cams are currently the best choice for a street-K20. I happen to have a new spare set available if someone's interested :wink:
Ive got a question for mace,
What compression ratio were you running for you to claim BC cams are Only "decent" unless of course you bought them in US.
regards,
Paul,