MOT fail - Cracked OEM flexi pipe. Parts exploded dia?

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Hi folks,

My dc5 failed its MOT on emmissions today, and it was found to be a cracked flexi pipe in the exhaust.

The whole system is an OEM setup, The garage has offered to weld the part to seal it and it will pass its MOT, however if thats not possible i am looking at replacing the part.

I know what part i need to get, however i need to check what gaskets and any bolts etc i need to do the job (as one always breaks).

Does anyone have a link to a parts breakdown file or webpage.

There used to be a link to a useful site that had parts exploded diagrams but i can see it anymore.

If anyone can help, or even a picture of the offending area would be great.

basically i am trying to see if i can replace the flexi on its own or if it is part of the manifold setup and not removable as a service item etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Rick_1138 said:
Hi folks,

My dc5 failed its MOT on emmissions today, and it was found to be a cracked flexi pipe in the exhaust.

The whole system is an OEM setup, The garage has offered to weld the part to seal it and it will pass its MOT, however if thats not possible i am looking at replacing the part.

I know what part i need to get, however i need to check what gaskets and any bolts etc i need to do the job (as one always breaks).

Does anyone have a link to a parts breakdown file or webpage.

There used to be a link to a useful site that had parts exploded diagrams but i can see it anymore.

If anyone can help, or even a picture of the offending area would be great.

basically i am trying to see if i can replace the flexi on its own or if it is part of the manifold setup and not removable as a service item etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
This may help you out fella...

http://jp-carparts.com/honda/partlist.php?maker=honda&type=INTEGRA%203D&cartype=831&fig=B&fig1=200

Chewy

Advanced Member
You have 3 options.

1. Replace with aftermarket manifold and remap to suit/find a friendly MOT place or go custom with a sports cat that will pass MOT ( solidfab for example )

2. Take it to an exhaust shop and have a new flexi welded in.

3. Buy a secondhand OEM manifold as plenty have changed to aftermarket and have them lying around.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Tricktyper said:
Hi,

that helps a lot, however i cant seem to find in that breakdown or online, a part or even image of an OEM flexi link pipe??

Seems a bit odd, as its not on the manifold screen or the silencer\cat section??

I should add, is the flexi pipe something you can buy from honda or is it something that comes as part of an OEM manifold, i.e. all one thing?

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Rick_1138 said:
Hi,

that helps a lot, however i cant seem to find in that breakdown or online, a part or even image of an OEM flexi link pipe??

Seems a bit odd, as its not on the manifold screen or the silencer\cat section??

I should add, is the flexi pipe something you can buy from honda or is it something that comes as part of an OEM manifold, i.e. all one thing?
Yeh i can't see the flexi listed either, strange. But i think picking one of Chewy's suggestions above is probably your best & easiest way to fix it!

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
I have had a right look and found a good pic of an OEM manifold. The flexi is part of the catalytic system part of the exhaust, there are 2 pipes coming of the inlet side, one is a pipe that goes into the manifold directly, the other is a shorter pipe with a small flexi where it joins the manifold, so if i want a new one from honda its a full cat job....sad times.

So best idea is buy an aftermarket flexi section and get it welded in.

Seems a rather poor design choice though, to make a rather fragile item part of one of the most expensive parts of the car.

Really didn't need this 2 days before we move house.

Oh well, thanks for the help guys, you've let me see what exactly it is i need to get, i couldn't picture it in my head so was struggling to see why it wasn't a separate part.

Only last bit i would ask if anyone knew, is the dimensions for the required flexi section, i.e. 50mm * 100mm?

kyle'87

Advanced Member
As you have just mentioned. The flexi part is in the 2-1 section so replacing the section would be expensive (unless you could get a second hand one from eBay). My concern about welding in a new flexi would be fitment but I guess a good welder/ fabricator would ensure a decent fit.

Good luck!

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
I know a professional welder, its more just ensuring i get the right length section for the Import spec exhaust Diamater (usually 50mm i think).

I have seen a couple cats on ebay with the part but they are £250, or 'collect only' in bradford (i am in aberdeen).

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
If I lived in Leeds I wouldn't go to Bradford. :p

Stick a post up on the UK Honda parts for sale Faceache group and in the wanted section on here.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
cheers, i think welding in a new section is best bet as well get it done by our mate who is professional welder by trade :).

The flexi on the d 5 downpipe is a major pain tbh.

Your best bet is to remove the whole lot and get it fixed on the bench.

A normal welder might find it quite tricky.

I would guess around 2-3hours for the job depending on if the manifold plays ball or not.

They sometimes don't like coming out without a good fight.

Good luck

antech

Hi,

I have spare oem dc5 exhaust down pipe /cat assembly sitting in my shed.Its in fail condition and the flexi is all there.fitting is flange to flange. what do you think ?
I would advise against trying to do a diy repair,its tricky lining up oem cat assembly let alone a modification with non oem welded in part .Im in sussex
Tony