MOT fail. Headlamp aim wrong

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Failed mot on offside beam pattern obviously incorrect and measure beam pattern too high. I've taken the bumper off and lights out to check the bulbs. They seem to be a aftermarket kit and don't lock into place as would expect with a bulb. Is there a certain orientation the bulbs need to go in?

Cennix1

There's a phillips screw just by the indicator light, turning it adjusts the height of the headlight beam, don't know if that's what you mean?

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Cennix1 said:
There's a phillips screw just by the indicator light, turning it adjusts the height of the headlight beam, don't know if that's what you mean?
My lights have an aftermarket HID kit. The bulb has a shield of some description, im guessing to deflect the light? Im thinking this isnt required in a projector headlight

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
My lights have an aftermarket HID kit. The bulb has a shield of some description, im guessing to deflect the light? Im thinking this isnt required in a projector headlight

Some aftermarket HID kits come with bulbs that are shielded off on one side. These are as a result of people fitting HID lights into non projector head lights ( i.e. an older style mirrored headlight). If you fitted the normal bulbs without the shield on one side, the light bounces off all the mirrors in all the wrong directions and as result blinds oncoming drivers.

The shielded bulbs were made so you can fit them in a mirrored headlight and NOT blind everyone and still have a good beam pattern. Had this with one of my old cars and can't 100% remember which way the shield goes but I believe its shield down so it stops the light hitting the mirror in the bottom of the headlight and reflecting back up into oncoming drivers eyes.

Im surprised this is giving you an issue though as the Tegs have projector headlights, so shouldn't be an issue? Sounds like potentially the wrong bulb sizes could of been used? the only ones I know of that have the shield are H7R sizes?

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Tricktyper said:
Some aftermarket HID kits come with bulbs that are shielded off on one side. These are as a result of people fitting HID lights into non projector head lights ( i.e. an older style mirrored headlight). If you fitted the normal bulbs without the shield on one side, the light bounces off all the mirrors in all the wrong directions and as result blinds oncoming drivers.

The shielded bulbs were made so you can fit them in a mirrored headlight and NOT blind everyone and still have a good beam pattern. Had this with one of my old cars and can't 100% remember which way the shield goes but I believe its shield down so it stops the light hitting the mirror in the bottom of the headlight and reflecting back up into oncoming drivers eyes.

Im surprised this is giving you an issue though as the Tegs have projector headlights, so shouldn't be an issue? Sounds like potentially the wrong bulb sizes could of been used? the only ones I know of that have the shield are H7R sizes?
Would make sense they are the wrong size as would expect a bulb to only work in position. Gonna order some D2Rs and give them a go

Cennix1

Don't know where you're based, but I have a spare set of OEM D2R bulbs you could try out if you are near Leicester, could save you buying new bulbs if it's not the problem.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Cennix1 said:
Don't know where you're based, but I have a spare set of OEM D2R bulbs you could try out if you are near Leicester, could save you buying new bulbs if it's not the problem.
What a lovely gesture, this is the kind of post that makes you feel proud being part of a great little community.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Cennix1 said:
Really appreciate the offer mate! Have ordered a set of D2R bulbs and the conversion loom to connect to aftermarket ballast!