Motorway cruising

jason666

Hi this is my first vtec I'm normally a turbo man. My previous car was an r33 gtr which brings me on to my question. That had no problem cruising at speeds on the motorway, I understand that high speeds on the motorway is illegal and I'm not saying i do it lol but obviously a vtec kicks in at a certain rev and in my eyes wouldn't feel comfortable over 5000. Opinions?

DC5RS

DC5
Cruising in Vtec is not a comfortable thing for sure. In 6th gear VTEC is disabled and you should go 5th gear to engage VTEC. Since you are in the motorway i don't see the reason why having VTEC engaged? are you going to cruise at 6k+ RPM? This is mental lol

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Mines has VTEC in 6th too, I thought they all did, its just that with the speeds involved the "kick/noise increase" isn't as noticeable.

On an OEM ECU the vtec point is so high up the rev range that it should never be an issue at cruising speeds. On my tuned K-Pro ECU the vtec point is a lot lower but only on what is effectively more than half throttle so at motorway cruising its not an problem either.

DC5RS

DC5
well my maximum speed with teg was 140km/h. So not sure about 6th gear VTEC, that's what i heard :)

Chewy

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
well my maximum speed with teg was 140km/h. So not sure about 6th gear VTEC, that's what i heard :)
Could this be something to do with the 112mph top speed limiter from the factory.

Would you even hit the 6000rpm crossover point for Vtec in 6th prior to 112mph?

Benneh

Advanced Member
Can confirm that VTEC does engage in 6th gear on a standard car that is delimited.

As per above though, if you're just cruising at stable speeds for any length of time you don't really want to be in VTEC. On these cars you'd have to be running an exceptionally short 6th gear and final drive as well as a very low VTEC engagement point for it to be active at motorway speeds.

dave7368

Advanced Member
standard ecu, 6th gear, vtec at 120mph~ 6000rpm.
not sure what your idea of cruising speed is, but in 6th gear... 90mph~4500rpm, 100mph~5000rpm, DC5 will do this all day long if you want it to. or until you get pulled over by the rozzers...

paul 16v

Advanced Member
All 3 dc5's ive had vtec in 6th! I think on the cruising at anything above 80 is just too noisy!

donzooo

Advanced Member
The DC5 in standard form will cruise comfortablly in 6th gear and VTEC will not kick in until 120mph.

5000RPM as stated is around 100mph so if this is a "cruising" speed for you (which if it is, how do you still have a licence?) then you will be fine.

bezza4

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
standard ecu, 6th gear, vtec at 120mph~ 6000rpm.
not sure what your idea of cruising speed is, but in 6th gear... 90mph~4500rpm, 100mph~5000rpm, DC5 will do this all day long if you want it to. or until you get pulled over by the rozzers...
What Dave said. I did 140k miles in mine, of which 90% was probably motorway. Over 80mph the DC5 does get quite noisey cruising along, but I just turned the music up. But the DC5 handled motorway speeds without an issue and you shouldn't have to worry about vtec at all on the motorway.

70mph = 3.5k revs
80mph = 4k revs
90mph = 4.5k revs
100mph = 5k revs

vtec kicks in at 120mph in 6th gear with a standard ECU.

jason666

I just feel as with a turbo car your hitting speeds of 100 lower In the Rev range and i was just curious. the only other reason I ask is I will be looking to lower my vtec engagement in the future so the revs and speeds has helped give me an idea what I can lower it to and still be comfortable on the motorway

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I still don't understand what you mean by "be comfortable on the motorway"?

What do you mean? I don't get what you're trying to achieve, can you explain?

jason666

If I lower my vtec engagement I don't want to be sat to close to it in the Rev range when on the motorway

integraleo

Advanced Member
If you lower VTEC to around 4-5000 it only engages when on more than 50% throttle so it won't matter.