Mr Alex Engine mounts....

jo3y

I've just bought Gunn79's DC5 and need to replace the Mr Alex Engine mounts that are currently fitted as they're causing way too much vibration in the cabin.

Can anyone recommend some replacements or should I just go back to standard? If someone's after a set of these and fancies a trade that would be even better :wink:

Cheers

JCW

Advanced Member
If you don't need or want uprated engine mounts go back to standard or get some mugen mounts they are slightly stiffer than standard but not much more, so won't vibrate as much as the ones you currently have

jonster

Advanced Member
I tried the ES mounts inserts and couldn't get on with the vibes so went to Mugen ones in the end. If was to do it all again I'd get the ES mounts and drill lots of holes in them (swiss cheese) to soften them up before installing.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
jonster said:
I tried the ES mounts inserts and couldn't get on with the vibes so went to Mugen ones in the end. If was to do it all again I'd get the ES mounts and drill lots of holes in them (swiss cheese) to soften them up before installing.
Surely that defeats the whole point of having them installed?

jo3y

Think I'll go for the Mugen ones then cheers, a little extra vibration is fine but these are pretty severe....

The best price I've found so far is from JDM Performance @ £175.

jo3y

I've just spoken with Tom from TGM and he's recommended just removing the inserts from the front and rear mounts.... how difficult will that be to do?

Gunn79

Advanced Member
jo3y said:
I've just spoken with Tom from TGM and he's recommended just removing the inserts from the front and rear mounts.... how difficult will that be to do?
I dont think you will be able to do this, as the MR. Alex kit is a full replacement mount set, and not inserts like the ES ones.

Most of the vibration will be from the rear mount, so it may be worth considering changing just that one to see how it is.

jo3y

Gunn79 said:
jo3y said:
I dont think you will be able to do this, as the MR. Alex kit is a full replacement mount set, and not inserts like the ES ones.

Most of the vibration will be from the rear mount, so it may be worth considering changing just that one to see how it is.
Ah ok cheers Paul, I'm still waiting for TDi North to call me back so I'll see what they recommend.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'd take them all out and sell them, then get OEM front and side (gearbox?) ones and just get the ES insert. Will achieve nearly the same result but it won't vibrate as much.

jonster

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
jonster said:
Surely that defeats the whole point of having them installed?
Lets you soften them to your taste. They are only inserts that suplement the OEM mounts so why not.

I tried changing just the front and then the back ES insert and it didn't make enough of a difference.

Apart from the vibes I found the ES mounts made my car too noisy for some tracks believe it or not. Happy with the Mugen ones I've got but they cost a lot more than ES inserts of course.

jonster

Advanced Member
jo3y said:
How much are the OEM ones?
Not sure. Worth asking TGM (Tom) if he has any spare secondhand ones that survived the fire. I left mine there when I upgraded to the Mugen ones. Alternatively check with Dave Johnson (Steels Honda) or D2MTuning for new OEM.