Mtf-94 gearbox oil.

discodave22

Advanced Member
As some of you may know this is land rover gearbox oil, the original mtf-3 honda gearbox oil used, I used it When I had my build b18 and it seemed to work well.. minimising my 4th gear crunch at high revs, making rev gear slip in first time, as they can be really bad ! Seen an old thread off here from 2009 with someone asking but only got one response saying it would work but would like to hear if anyone else has tried it in there dc5 box ?!

Rom

Advanced Member
Honda boxes are the only box ive ever bought the hype, and stuck to MTF with.
All my other cars i use what i like.

To the extent i may actually have to buy some MTF, despite have gear oil at home. My free source has dried up it seems.

Be interested to hear who DOESNT run MTF....and if the world ended.

Benneh

Advanced Member
The only times I've heard of people differing from MTF is for race/track based cars, and they usually use one of the Millers oils - who I think made MTF '94 at one point anyway.

If memory serves, Honda MTF and Land Rover MTF '94 were identical, and then Honda rebranded to MTF-III which had a couple of different additives, but still performs to the same specifications. Can't find where I read it though!

discodave22

Advanced Member
Yeah they were an identical oil ! As I was reading in civiclife back when I had the civic and seen a thread on ek9.org aswell about using it !
Only reason I'm same is cause I've got a few litres left and see no good why not to use it !! And seeing as mtf-94 is £32 for 5 litres and does the same job would be mad not to !