Mugen airbox cover fastenings

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Very odd question here, goes out to all the guys and girls who have a Mugen airbox.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the screws that hold the airbox lid closed?

e.g. M5, M6 and length of screw. If possible a picture of the thread?

I know that is asking quite a lot!

Mine is currently in transit and would like to order some anodised bolts prior to replace the screws with when I get it and fit it.

Thanks!

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Never mind, its just turned up. I will get the measurements and put them up for any one who is interested.

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
If you have the measurements i love to have them! Mine doesn't have the original fastenings. They are quite an odd size, couldnt Fins anything that fits

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Jvzr

Advanced Member
x2 on if you find some.
Mine has some orignal...and some not so oringal

kyle'87

Advanced Member
OK guys so here are the measurements of the 12 bolts that hold the airbox lid closed. I haven't measured the 3 other bolts that hold the actual box in and the scoop, as I figured most people will use the stock fittings here and so don't need them...

The bolt diameter taken from under the head is 5mm across, I would assume that this means a M5 sized bolt. The thread length excluding the head is 17mm. 20mm in total length with the head.

In terms of the thread pitch, I can only assume that the M5 ISO standard means an M5 sized bolt will fit. I can't verify this yet as I don't have my replacements. Once I get them I will confirm the pitch fitness.

The bolts have a washer and a sprung washer attached (included in 17mm length of thread). I plan to just replace with a black plastic washer for now, if after a few hundred miles they are loose I will swap to a sprung washer.

TL;DR M5 Sized bolt 17mm worth of thread, still to confirm pitch of thread,

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Mine doesn't have sprung washers and is fine mine :) Recently took mine apart to clean the filter, and although they were tight, its only fiberglass, with a few rivets holding the threaded lug in place, over tightening will crack it. Its a fairly solid piece of kit, its certainly a bar-steward to fit mind. haha It wont move about too much to vibrate loose, the bolts that fix it to the car go though rubber mounts anyway.

I'm looking at changing all of the bolts that hold the lid closed at some point too, they are starting to look tired. Will be keeping an eye on your findings. ;)

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Update: I popped down to B and Q to get some M5 bolts to make sure of fitment.

I purchased these

So I'm pretty confident to say that an ISO standard M5 bolt will fit. Bear in mind that some of the bolts I test fitted were TIGHT! but I imagine this is down to the thread that is in the pieces of metal riveted onto the airbox are old and slightly damaged through weathering, etc.

There are plenty of places on the net to order all types of M5 bolts, have a good. Here is what I was searching for "Red Anodised M5 hex bolt".

Good luck!

Bewesy

Advanced Member
M5 x 10mm I think they were. I didn't bother with the tiny ones that came with the bolts as they were too small.