Mugen Header CAT replacement?

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Afternoon guys

Has anyone ever had to or heard of the sports cat on a Mugen system needing to be replaced? if so what were the options? Mines just failed its MOT on emissions.... I feel my overdraft is about to take a beating!

Cheers

Garerh

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Hey mate

Do you have a Mugen cat back system, Mugen header or Mugen all the way throughout.

I've got a Mugen header and sports cat on mine attached to a fugitsubo cat back. I dread the day if it failed but to be fair for the cost of the section if I could even get one I'd just go after a solid fabrications manifold with cat if I didn't replace with an oem manifold.

A second hand one did sell a while back for £400, how used the cat section was I'm not sure.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
It's the full system header though to twin loop, I paid a fortune for it few years back so I'm hoping a can of summit in the tank and a good run will help it pass! If not I'll be gutted!

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Gutted that must of cost a bomb, hope you sort it.

If mine goes I'll gut the cat and use it as a decat and then get an oem one spare

kneedowndean

Advanced Member
Mines just done the same. Firstly, my car had been sitting over the winter and this can have an effect, especially as 200 cell sport Cats only just pass the emmisions at the best of time. I had to refit the original CAT to pass the MOT. I searched on google for "Custom exhaust bulders". They told me to take the car for a hard drive before the MOT next time and get the cat up to temp, this can make a big difference. I refitted the Mugen manifold and CAT and hope that it will pass next time, I'll take it for a pre test just to check before. IF it fails again, any custom exhaust builder can replace the CAT with a new 200 cell sport cat. Think I was quoted about £250 to have it replaced.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Lucky it passed in the end... apparently it was the second idle test it was failing on Honda had it from 9am and after several calls were still saying it was failing at 4pm ( don't ask how many times they tested it or why it took so long because I can't tell you! Ha ) apparently then a different member of staff tested it and it went through! Sounds a lil bizarre to me but I'm happy! Only other thing wrong was she almost failed because my lights are cloudy and they coundnt get a reading; jt Hughes Honda being good sports polished them up for me as well as cleaned and hoovered the car out and got her through the mot =]

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Hey mate

I've got a Mugen header and sports cat on mine attached to a fugitsubo cat back. I dread the day if it failed but to be fair for the cost of the section if I could even get one I'd just go after a solid fabrications manifold with cat if I didn't replace with an oem manifold.
Sell it to me :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk