Mugen intake or Tegiwa?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Currently deciding which intake to buy, I can get a Mugen Intake from RHD Japan for £502 delivered or I can go for the Teg M.

I can't really decide and wondered if anyone could give me any info on both? Is the Mugen worth the extra money?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
My personal opinion is that the Mugen is one of the best intakes there are for a DC5. No fitment issues, the lack of performance issues are a myth and the sound isn't too in your face. Each to their own though.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
It's a no brainer, genuine Mugen VS a Tegiwa (which are normally copies of something), I would always buy the genuine item if I had a choice over an alternative

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I had tegiwa for two years on my last one, then a couple months on new one.
Since changing to mugen I've noticed absolutely no difference in performance either way. Noise is a little more civilised, especially at 80mph on the motorway.

Guess it's down to what you want. If you want classic b series type vtec roar, then Tegiwa or GruppeM is incredibly satisfying. Mugen still sounds great, but delivers negligible performance differences (either way) and is a little more grown up.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I had tegiwa for two years on my last one, then a couple months on new one.
Since changing to mugen I've noticed absolutely no difference in performance either way. Noise is a little more civilised, especially at 80mph on the motorway.

Guess it's down to what you want. If you want classic b series type vtec roar, then Tegiwa or GruppeM is incredibly satisfying. Mugen still sounds great, but delivers negligible performance differences (either way) and is a little more grown up.

That's good to know, so no real difference, does the tegiwa one sound nice, how similar to old B series noise is it as my AEM is near no noise due to being mounted so low

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Aem should be very noticeable......

Maybe I just can't hear it over everything else lol (manifold and exhaust) etc but mines in the bumper low down, poss is and I am not knowing it as never had a stock setup on the car and this sounds nothing like my old DC2 :)

In all honesty I have not even see the car in 6 weeks so can't even remember how it sounds

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Will you have any fees/taxes ontop of that price?
That's being lucky and not getting charged import tax, there was talk of asking them to label the box as a gift so it doesn't get opened.

But if it does its only 20% of the value, so at most an extra charge of £80

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
My personal opinion is that the Mugen is one of the best intakes there are for a DC5. No fitment issues, the lack of performance issues are a myth and the sound isn't too in your face. Each to their own though.
I really am swaying to the Mugen, I don't want my ears to bleed as the car is still a daily. I don't fancy bastardising my scuttle either. Is there a notable different in sound from OEM?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
hollowaydc5 said:
I really am swaying to the Mugen, I don't want my ears to bleed as the car is still a daily. I don't fancy bastardising my scuttle either. Is there a notable different in sound from OEM?

Yeah it's more throaty than OEM when at full throttle. But at part throttle it's as quiet as OEM. So you can make progress without it sounding like a 1.4 Nova with a K&N filter in the engine bay.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Tegiwa sounds brilliant, sometimes I miss the sound of mine, it's not a daily driver though so noise isn't a worry to me

Kenz

Advanced Member
I have the tegiwa on mine. It sounds great, but they do tend to hit the underside of the bonnet over pot holes. I put 2 small pieces of foam on the underside of my bonnet and it has cured the issue.
I've only been a passenger in a dc5 with the mugen intake and it was a lot quieter and more civilised as others have said. However I think it looks better in the bay than the tegiwa.
You can get cold air scoops to go with the mugen that sit behind the front bumper that will help with cold air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
I love the design of the Gruppe M and the idea of taking that channel of air with the bonnet scoop but I think is practice the annoying rattles and squeeks don't help. I would get the Mugen out of the two.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
Velcro the intake to the metal at the scuttle and it solves that issue :)
Yup. Or the underside of the intake I used number plate tape to stick it to oem strut brace.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
Velcro the intake to the metal at the scuttle and it solves that issue :)
I wish lol! I tried radiator insulation around the strut brace and the Velcro tape and all sorts. Never sorted the noises out for me fully. Always heard some squeeks etc 😂

ctrmint

hollowaydc5 said:
Currently deciding which intake to buy, I can get a Mugen Intake from RHD Japan for £502 delivered or I can go for the Teg M.

I can't really decide and wondered if anyone could give me any info on both? Is the Mugen worth the extra money?

hollowaydc5 said:

Did you buy one in the end?