Mugen N1 ECU Fitment

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey

I've just purchased a Mugen N1 ECU from Torque GT; I've been told this is a 5minute change over kinda job?

Is it literally going to be as simple as plug and play, or are there any steps that need to be followed fitting wise? Obviously if I want to make the most off the higher rev range I'll have to have the valve springs uprated but other than this...A simple swap?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Gareth

dotty

Advanced Member
Hello. Yes it's a straight swap.

Mugen ecu is designed for track/race cars, you're aware of that ?

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Yeah I did know..I've read a few people saying it dropped their fuel consumption and others saying that this was minimal and have still used it on the road. Thought as I've got a bit of a Mugen theme on the go I'd give it a go. Was just checking there wouldn't be any issues with just a straight swap
Cheers

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Yeah,I have the Air Box and Twin Loop, will be after the header when the money allows it =]

Gareth88

Advanced Member
While I've got the thread, anyone have any idea of a rough figure power wise I can expect?I have Mugen Air Box, Twin Loop and a Spoon 70mm Throttle body to fit as well

Cheers

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I wouldn't really be expecting much of a power hike, I think mugen race cars run other supporting mods along side the engine and fuelling. I ran one of these ecus and I wish I hadn't of bothered, you have some really good mods on your car you would be better off going k100 or kpro. Springs and retainers would cost probably double the mapping costs, I'd never want to put you off this route but I wish I'd of listened to others when I was in the same position

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Cheers dude... I wasn't expecting everyone to be so anti this Ecu; I'd read some good things about it on here and seen some people hitting around the 250 bhp mark with it.
If I don't rev it to over the 8600revs ish I a should be fine to try it without the springs and retainers right? ... Just to try it as I've already bought it?

dotty

Advanced Member
Personally, I'd be listing it on eBay when it arrives. Just spoke to Tom about this as I'm here and he'd not recommend one over Kpro. In fact he doesn't use one in his race cars, the Mugen Fd2 race car even runs flash pro (hondata)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I think even with all the right mugen mods your still missing one vital thing. Japanese fuel which is what the ecu will have been mapped for so something like 104 Ron? That would be enough to put me off as you're running an increased risk of pre-detonation. Only speculating though.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the N1 fuelling will be fine on 97 or optimax, but expect to use a bit as they run open loop all the time, also expect your EML to be on
for a long time these were almost the only thing available, it is a good ecu if used with supporting mods but a good idea to run an aftermarket rev limiter with it if you still have std valvesprings, (you can fit std s2000 springs instead of mugen ones ;) ) however i ran my dc5 with a 9000 revlimit for years and regularly hit it with no problems whatseover.
as an interim or for trackdays they are fine, we used to mount them directly beneath the oem ecu so it was easy to swap the plugs when you arrived at the track.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey
Car made 221.4 bhp and 149.7 lbft on the dyno. You can definitely feel the car is more eager lower down the gears; pulls like a train. Will go Kpro in the end but ill keep this for now as it'll allow me to get few extra bits and fit them without a re map. Once all fitted ill get Kpro and it all mapped. As for the fuel apparently its sitting exactly where it should, if anything I'm noticing an increase in the miles I'm getting from a tank