Mugen N1 vs Hondata KPro

jonster

Advanced Member
I've been lucky enough to borrow a Mugen N1 ECU on a number of occasions thanks to Tom (T&G Autos) for both road and track use and I've been extremely impressed with it. Because it just seemed to work really well with my setup, I was really unsure if I should go with the Hondata KPro route or just buy a Mugen N1 ECU. In the end I decided to go the KPro route because it would at least allow me to adapt to whatever mods I would consider in the future (including FI) and gamble that it could be programmed to be at least as good as the Mugen N1.

Having bought the KPro and applied the k20a2-rsx-310cc-itrcams-jrhdr-cai.kal map supplied I didn't feel any major improvement over Hondata Flash #4 I already had. The VTEC bog down was still there. I knew that it had to be tuned on a Dyno and I knew that Guy at CPL Racing was man to do the job from good recommendations. I borrowed the Mugen N1 for day so it could be compared.

After a long day of Dyno tunning the KPro, Guy managed to map my engine perfectly to the mods I have and surpass the Mugen N1's performance. I am extremely happy with the result and the car is storming now. It's the only way forward to truly get the benefit of your mods.

I'd like to attach the dyno's I have KPro 'k20a2-rsx-310cc-itrcams-jrhdr-cai.kal' vs. KPro tuned dyno's and the Mugen N1 vs. KPro tuned, but I don't know how. Can I email these to someone so they can post them for me?

KPro Tuned :
http://t666ypr.fotopic.net/p6188644.html

KPro vs Mugen N1 :
http://t666ypr.fotopic.net/p6188645.html

Thanks to Simon for hosting the images.

Cheers,

Jon

T666YPR

Send away Jon,I'll put them in a special Gallery on my site.

Can't wait to see the results as K Pro is next when I save my pennies :D

Simon

Type-R 69

Advanced Member
if i was you a i would buy another race header toda or the jr you will see better gains and v-tec dip will be a bit better had that problem with my spoon 4-2 manifold and 2-1 downpipe

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Type-R 69,

A better header would be a nice option to smooth out the VTEC dip as far as the dyno graph is concerned but since the ECU has been professionally mapped I don't notice the dip any more when driving. Power delivery is infinelty better than the base maps / Hondata Flash #4 I've had before.

It is a shame the Spoon header doesn't do much for people considering the cost.

Jon

Duncs

what was the max torque you got out of the day?
(still have problems getting the 'torque' thing but i
understand torque to be the ability to move a mass)
so along with the BHP thing it is mighty important.
Correct me if i am wrong but your average WRC is limited to
300bhp, but their torque figures are up around the 450ftlb mark
and generally this is achieved with good breathing and mapping.
of course there is more to it than that but !!!
I am an old turbo 4wd man at heart, considering these cars to be NA it is still a mighty impressive figure, given the transmission loses
are far less on a 2wd car.

trouble is once you start you just want MORE !!!