Mugen Showa Shocks best with what Springs

beppe786

Beppe
picked up some mugen showa shocks what springs have been tired and tested that work best with these?

should i leave them as they are or best to put a eibach spring on them.. i don't bothered about lowering just want it to handle better..

eibach ep3 spring should fit these ok?

thanks

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
If its just handling you want then as they are should probably be Ok, sure from memory they might be a bit stiffer than oem and about 10mm lower so the ride will be harsher, but handling should be sharper.

If you want looks too, then Eibach or Spoon springs.

Looks like a clean set of shocks too, hopefully they are pucker!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
What springs are on them? Because of the way the suspension works on a dc5 lowering slightly with Eibach s etc will increase negative camber and centre of gravity which will improve handling, as always a fast road setup will make the biggest improvement

And remember the alignment should be checked after fitting any suspension component,

beppe786

Beppe
thanks

full frsu will have too be all re-done again..

im going from complete standard shocks.. my grip and handling is very good.. now that im gonna be running more boost soon and car is gonna be lightened as well.. so thought ill upgrade shocks..

Altecians

Advanced Member
I've run Mugen Shocks for ages with Eibach Springs. I cant imagine using the Mugen Springs again as it would be even harder a ride.
As C&S said, run these with Eibachs and they are great. Perfect in my opinion ;)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have had these shocks and springs on my car for about 5 years! Done 50k miles on them and had no issues whatsoever. But I wanted the car to sit a little lower so I have recently bought some Spoon springs to go on the Mugen shocks.

The ride, to me, is more comfortable even though it's lower. It needs the FRSU alignment done again and once that is done a can give a proper review on them.

Other than that I'm very happy with them. 👍

beppe786

Beppe
So spoon or eibach..

Ive seen abp have 30mm progressive eibach for £125

Ill see what deal are on the spoon springs

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Good luck trying to find brand new spoon springs for a preface mate. I had a mare with mine, luckily the Spoon distribution for the country is 10 mins from my house. Lol he got me a set, thought great until I found the were facelift with the car in bits trying to fit them :( I was gutted. Took them back and we tried literally everywhere to find a preface set. Second hand will be your best bet now mate.

beppe786

Beppe
PORTHOS said:
I have to chip in, I drove Adams car with the Mugen SS and I prefer my Eibach's, lol...I have driven all three, OEM, Eibach and Mugen Eibach Pro feel a softer ride straight line over OEM and Mugen, but feels stiffer than stock in corners (and over large bumps!)Mugen SS felt more aggressive than OEM and Eibach.OEM was also pretty stiff but not as aggressive in corners as the Eibach's Plus I didn't go into the gravel like Adam did at Castle Coombe :p ha ha.... I found the following info on Mugen vs OEM vs Eibach Spring Rates: Stock JDM DC5R spring rates: F 3.7k R 7.4kMugen SS spring rates: F 5.0k R 8.2k (Drop = 1.4" lower all round)Eibach Pro-kit (progressive): Spring Rate: (15-20% more than stock) (Drop = 1in Front/1.1in rear) So (if my calculations are correct!) the Eibach Pro is progressive up to the limits which are between: Front 4.25k - 4.4k and Rear 8.5k - 8.8k and isn't as low as the Mugen's which is what me and Adam Noticed between our two cars. There is good reason TGM recommend the FRSU + Eibach combo for the DC5 for the road/track, those guys actually race DC5's in the UK. But at the end of the day it all depends what you want from the car. I wanted Suspension that was softer than OEM straight line on the rubbish UK roads but better on Track than OEM, that's exactly what I got with the Eibach's + FRSU combo. Plus the 20mm or so drop I was after :) My Summary:OEM: Japan roads/Track FocusedMugen: Track FocusedEibach: UK roads/Track Focused.
Good info reviewed a while back

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Mugen SS should only give a 15mm drop. Here's my car when I first got it with Mugen SS. They had only around 4k miles of careful driving on them from brand new by the previous owner.

That is definitely not a 1.4" drop so I am surprised Adam's teg was lower than yours P, unless I've misread something?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I always thought the drop off the Mugen set up was minimal.

But are the SS and the Showa's not 2 different set ups .?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Wingnuttzz said:
I always thought the drop off the Mugen set up was minimal.

But are the SS and the Showa's not 2 different set ups .?
They are the same thing. People just call them one or the other.

Just corrected my earlier post. I meant 15mm as opposed to 1.5mm! The point I was trying to make still holds true though

beppe786

Beppe
Been reading up on fwd and how to increase traction. At the moment I have good taction levels for the power im running. What ive read is stiff rear suspension will help increase more traction as less weight transfer to the rear.

So thinking of sticking with mugen springs. I could mixed them up keep mugen rear and just change fronts to eibach.. or is that gonna mess handing totally?

Harder rear springs will just cause it to under steer more right?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Sorry to go off topic but seen as the subject is regarding springs. I've just bought some Eibach Pro's which are renowned for being very good however I keep reading that they're soft.

These will be on in conjunction with some OEM shocks, I'm not going to end up with a wobbly soft ride here am I? :(

Mark_teg

Staff member
Sorry to go off topic but seen as the subject is regarding springs. I've just bought some Eibach Pro's which are renowned for being very good however I keep reading that they're soft.

These will be on in conjunction with some OEM shocks, I'm not going to end up with a wobbly soft ride here am I? :(
They're perfect for everyday use, but probably too soft for a hardcore track user.

HTH

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Beppe - As you're only talking about springs, you are overthinking it. There are so many variables to do with suspension. I would stick with the Eibachs all round as they are progressive.

Crazylegs - No. Do a search on progressive springs.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers fellas, I'll look up progressive springs now. Thank you.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk