Mugen SS vs OEM

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
I am eventually looking to take my skunk2 springs off. Car does handle good but sits to low for me.
I was going to stick oem springs on but tempted by some Mugen Showa Suspension.

Anyone gone from oem to mugen or vice versa?
How would you compare it and how does it feel?

Also how does it feel on track? Looking at photos are the mugen springs progressive on the front? The oems don't look to be.

Any input is appreciated.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have the Mugen SS and I love it! I have driven a standard (facelift) DC5 and it was very harsh. Ive also driven Porthos' car which has the TGM FRSU on it and prefered mine. The Mugen setup has a very good rebound rate on them. So its not like a boat going over bumps. On my one and only track session I found them to be good. I too am not sure if they are progressive.

A good feel and good ride height. (Although I do want a set of Spoon springs to give it a better stance)

Hope this helps.

DC5R_Duty

Advanced Member
Ok so I got the mugen showa suspension and it ok... car handles much better but it is harsh on bumpy roads......

Can the springs be replaced with softer springs? If so, which ones do you all recommend?

Bonito

Advanced Member
I thought the Mugen shocks have adjustable damping? They're supposed to be brilliant with the Eibachs.

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
I've got some 6 month old eibach sportiness if you wanna do a trade. :)
Give more clearance than the skunk2

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I have to chip in, I drove Adams car with the Mugen SS and I prefer my Eibach's, lol...
I have driven all three, OEM, Eibach and Mugen

Eibach Pro feel a softer ride straight line over OEM and Mugen, but feels stiffer than stock in corners (and over large bumps!)
Mugen SS felt more aggressive than OEM and Eibach.
OEM was also pretty stiff but not as aggressive in corners as the Eibach's

Plus I didn't go into the gravel like Adam did at Castle Coombe :p ha ha....

I found the following info on Mugen vs OEM vs Eibach Spring Rates:

Stock JDM DC5R spring rates: F 3.7k R 7.4k
Mugen SS spring rates: F 5.0k R 8.2k (Drop = 1.4" lower all round)
Eibach Pro-kit (progressive): Spring Rate: (15-20% more than stock) (Drop = 1in Front/1.1in rear)

So (if my calculations are correct!) the Eibach Pro is progressive up to the limits which are between: Front 4.25k - 4.4k and Rear 8.5k - 8.8k and isn't as low as the Mugen's which is what me and Adam Noticed between our two cars.

There is good reason TGM recommend the FRSU + Eibach combo for the DC5 for the road/track, those guys actually race DC5's in the UK.

But at the end of the day it all depends what you want from the car.

I wanted Suspension that was softer than OEM straight line on the rubbish UK roads but better on Track than OEM, that's exactly what I got with the Eibach's + FRSU combo. Plus the 20mm or so drop I was after :)

My Summary:
OEM: Japan roads/Track Focused
Mugen: Track Focused
Eibach: UK roads/Track Focused.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
There are alot of different views on the Mugen sports suspension I brought some I while ago for my pre facelift and I can only praise them for a improved all round ride quality. When I had them installed it lowered the rear around 50mm and the front around 20 -25mm some people have said that this did not sound right but I definately felt right as the car was more equally ballanced. In the right ups for companies selling Mugen Sports suspension it explains that the Dc5 is very front end heavy so transfering the weight backwards with a reverse rake helps with the overall balance this was also correct. Bump steer usaully under hard cornering was almost eliminated over the oem setup an much smoother line could be taken at speed without the jerkyness of the steering wheel under load. I know have I facelift model and although an improved suspension setup as standard I opted for Eibach Pro which in turn has given me rake and plenty of oversteer on slower bend ( Melbourne hairpin at Donington) was a little side ways at time so carefull throttle control would tame this action the rest of the track I managed flat out and this was without a FRSU as time was short. Even though My pre with Mugen Sports never got to the track I would have felt more comfortable to push it closer to the limit with my current car she felt on edge 80% of the time but that was good fun.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
When I had them installed it lowered the rear around 50mm and the front around 20 -25mm some people have said that this did not sound right but I definately felt right as the car was more equally ballanced.
Yeah that sounds a little odd mate for Mugen.... Adam's is equal all the way around.

The Eibach is superb, I found myself drifting around Donington, ha ha, but it is far more controlable than having it under steer which I hated with OEM.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Porthos, did you measure that with your 18" wheels fitted (versus Adams 17s)?
I thought the eibachs were slightly lower -
Mugen - 15/20mm
Eibach pro - 20/25mm

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Porthos, did you measure that with your 18" wheels fitted (versus Adams 17s)?
I thought the eibachs were slightly lower -
Mugen - 15/20mm
Eibach pro - 20/25mm
...I'm sure Adam's is lower.... will ask him see what he says :)

*Edit Thinking about it, my Eibachs have settled now, so perhaps it might be the other way around! ha ha.... will have to check with him :)

There is only about 7mm between the two on paper.

DC5R_Duty

Advanced Member
So is anyone going to answer my question? Can eibach pro kit springs replace the mugen showa springs?

Bonito

Advanced Member
So is anyone going to answer my question? Can eibach pro kit springs replace the mugen showa springs?
This isn't even your thread, you hijacked it.

Think about it. If OEM springs can be swapped for skunk, Eibach & mugen on OEM shocks, Then OEM, skunk & eibach can be used on mugen showa suspension. That'd be my logic of it.

However, I thought Mugen Showa has adjustable damping in the shocks, so I'd try get a happy medium with the damping & spring rate before I swap out the mugen springs. Or are you solely swapping them out for the look of the ride height of the car? Function over fashion IMO.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Right. First of all, I love my Mugen SS! Good ride. Harsh yes in places but were not driving a Mercedes are we?! Drop iirc is 15mm all round. There is another Mugen Suspension setup out on the market which is adjustable but the Sports Suspension isn't. It's an in between shock from OEM to Coilovers. Good value for money IMO.

DC5R_Duty

Advanced Member
This isn't even your thread, you hijacked it.

Think about it. If OEM springs can be swapped for skunk, Eibach & mugen on OEM shocks, Then OEM, skunk & eibach can be used on mugen showa suspension. That'd be my logic of it.

However, I thought Mugen Showa has adjustable damping in the shocks, so I'd try get a happy medium with the damping & spring rate before I swap out the mugen springs. Or are you solely swapping them out for the look of the ride height of the car? Function over fashion IMO.
I dont care about ride height i just want comfort. The mugen springs are very stiff (almost like coilover springs) so I wanted to know if the eibach softer progressive springs could fit the mugen shocks. Thats all.... and sorry if you think I am hijacking the thread but I am still talking about mugen ss which is what the thread is about.... so I dont know where you are coming from with all this hijacking argument.