Mugen VS AEM Long Arm & a bit of a what's it worth post

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I have a Mugen intake on the way.

I currently run an AEM long arm in the bumper with a Hydroshiled (and although the AEM sounds epic etc) I am trying to bring the noise from the cars induction down as much as I can to be sure I can do any and every trackday I want without an issue (inc evenings at brands which are much harsher than the days with drive by being as low as 88db)...

Romain has confirmed the map I have will be fine with such a small change (as it was remapped last month) but I have heard the Mugen is a little restrictive. But on the flipside I have also heard the Mugen is better for a smoother curve and produces better low and mid range power which is more important on track than top end so if I go ahead and keep the Mugen fully what would people think and say a complete AEM is worth?

If the AEM goes up for sale it would be the pipe (in red), shortened washer bottle etc (basically the lot). The filter was cleaned last week and the hydroshild received a new waterproof coating to protect the filter from the elements.

Finally anyone got any views on making this change who have done it before as Mugen was the only option as Gruppe M is too loud and Tegiwa not for me as it's a copy and I don't do copy fake stuff lol...

Thanks

Carl

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Honestly, I've had both and a tegiwa m. Not noticed much difference in performance. Had Chris at EFI do a vacuum check on the mugen intake and he said it wasn't causing any restrictions.

Best intake imo as you won't have issues with sound and is a little more grown up imo. You'll have a very subtle cross over noise though

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Honestly, I've had both and a tegiwa m. Not noticed much difference in performance. Had Chris at EFI do a vacuum check on the mugen intake and he said it wasn't causing any restrictions.

Best intake imo as you won't have issues with sound and is a little more grown up imo. You'll have a very subtle cross over noise though
Thanks mate this is pretty much what I was hoping to hear, just need to workout how to fit it next as I need to buy the long bolts that mount it or something and then do it as never had an airbox on my car as it came with the AEM...

Deff making big improvements this year and with 249.6hp without an RBC/RRC or bigger throttle body the engine speaks for itself, clearly well maintained both pre and during my ownership...

ellb123

Hi Carl,

I just recently sold my AEM long arm, just the intake/filter without all the rest of the stuff for £120, and that sold within the hour of me listing it too.

I swapped it out for a Tegiwa intake instead.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ellb123 said:
Hi Carl,

I just recently sold my AEM long arm, just the intake/filter without all the rest of the stuff for £120, and that sold within the hour of me listing it too.

I swapped it out for a Tegiwa intake instead.
Awesome thanks for letting me know, where di you advertise it? I assume the DC5 one also fits the EP3, do you know?

Thanks

ellb123

I had it advertised on the "Integra Type R Owners" facebook page.

I wouldnt think it would fit an EP3, i could well be wrong though...

p1tse

Advanced Member
Another big fan of Mugen intake here. Mines fitted with the RBC too

Teg M I‘ve been is too artificial and loud
Also been in a car with a long arm, sound was good, maybe because away from bulkhead I like the TEg M; but the Mugen just seems smooth all through

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
The dc5 one does fit the ep3 but it has to be tie wrapped further down as it doesn't get held at the right point apparently.

I have one, I had it up for 25 quid and no one bit.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
WraithPriest said:
The dc5 one does fit the ep3 but it has to be tie wrapped further down as it doesn't get held at the right point apparently.

I have one, I had it up for 25 quid and no one bit.
Thanks mate

Well I have both here now and will try the Mugen at some point and then prob keep both and sell them separately whenever :)

I love the AEM tbh but felt like trying the Mugen one out but if I prefer the feel of the AEM the Mugen will be sold else both kept and Mugen sold seperate to the car when the car goes.