Muppet just marked my bumper with his tow bar!

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Just had some muppet in a van reverse very slowly into the front of me and his tow bar hit my number plate. It's scuffed a bit of the bumper and put a bit of a dent into it too so I'm not happy at the moment, although I know as he only did it so slow that nothing else is likely to have been buggered, I got all his details too so no worries on that either.

Anyway, as the bumper had no marks on it before I shall be ringing up the insurance for a new one tommorrow. Before I do however I could just do with someone checking something on theirs, if you look through the bottom of the bumper you can see the radiator? Anyway, can someone check that theirs on the left hand side sort of bends in slightly and the other sid eis straight please (I'm 99% sure this is how it should be but just want to check).

Also, is there anything very close up behind the bumper I should get looked?
As I said, it was very slow and I'm pretty sure it's just a couple of marks on the bumper that is all that was left but obviously want to be sure and also make sure I get it back to 100% like the rest of the car :)

Cheers
Wardy

LeeH

Advanced Member
The only thing I can think of which is behind the bumper is the wiring for the front fogs....which you don't have.

Lee

PS hope you get it sorted matey.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
OK just done a couple of pics. I know it doesn't look that bad but it's not the point :)
There is also some scuff marks on th ebumper that you can't see in the picture.

Can someone double check that theirs is straight or bent, I'm now thinking it should be straight (is there anything right behind there that could be buggered or I need to look at? I have tried to look down with a tourch but can't see much).

Repair wise, who am I best using as I don't want it to go to any random garage. I'm in the North West.
I have been on to Dave @ Steels and got price for a new bumper and also the spoiler at the bottom although no stock of CW bumpers at the moment.

Any help appreciated guys as I want to make sure I have all I need to tell insurance with.

Cheers
Wardy

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Id definitely be getting a new rad and air con pipe as they are both fooked!

EDIT: And id fit sime mesh to the new bumoer in that gap too for future stone protection!!

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Thanks for the reply Stu.
Am I best not driving it then if they look buggered? Last thing I want to do is make anything else buggered?!

Cheers
Wardy

DC5TU

Advanced Member
If the rads leaking water, definitely dont drive it. It may well only leak when pressurised, and i would most definitely not drive it then either as itd overheat if losing water. Being crushed like it is may cause probs too, i wouldnt risk it personally!

As for the aircon pipe, if you do drive it, just dont use the aircon.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
It doesn't appear to be leaking water (the water you see on it there is just where I quickly washed off some dirt for the pics) but I'll refrain from using it untill I know what's what.

Cheres
Wardy

AdrianK

Advanced Member
Does deffo look damaged to me too, i wouldnt use it personally.

Surely if its an insurance job you dont really need to know all of whats wrong yourself, the repairer will pull it to bits and have a look and the assesor, before any repairs are done?

Wardy7

Advanced Member
AdrianK said:
Does deffo look damaged to me too, i wouldnt use it personally.

Surely if its an insurance job you dont really need to know all of whats wrong yourself, the repairer will pull it to bits and have a look and the assesor, before any repairs are done?
I know yeh, I just know that this place is a fountain of knowledge and guys on here know these cars inside out so I can make sure any accessor checks out all that is suggested on here :)

Anyone know if the radiator is the same as on the CTR as I imagine the bumper could take maybe a few months possibly so maybe repairs have to be done at 2 seperate times?!

Cheers
Wardy

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Insurance have said I'm fine to use my own garage for sorting repairs. Dave @ Steels has got me a price for a radiator etc.

Does anyone have a reccommended garage in the North West that has dealt with the DC5 before? I know it's only a relatively small job but would just prefer someone who has seen one of them befroe to do the work. Have spoken to TDI-North (System-R) and they don't do repairs.

Cheers
Wardy

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Only place i can think of that id trust to do my DC5 would be TGM but there about 3 hrs from you!

Other than that try protec motorsport in preston, not sure if they have any dealings with DC5s but used to work on my old cars alot and very highly experienced in rally/race prep. think theyre running arally spec Ev0 6 in competition at the mo so a rad on a DC5 shouldnt be too much hassle!

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
That pipe is not an aircon pipe its the cooler for the power steering :!:

Hope you get it sorted quickly mate

Wardy7

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
That pipe is not an aircon pipe its the cooler for the power steering :!:

Hope you get it sorted quickly mate
Do you know if there is anything else in that sort of area that is likely to have been damaged aswell?

Bumper, radiator, powersteering cooler pipe...

Cheers
Wardy

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
From memory it goes:
Pipe for cooling the power steering
Aircon rad
Coolant rad
Fan

Looking at that pic I would say you will need both rads replaced as the other sits closely behind and is probably dented.

Cooling pipe might not need replacing as it doesnt look that damaged.

Bumper can probably be repaired but depends on how much you want to claim.

Check that the base where the rads sit on is not bent. Get underneath to look.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
From memory it goes:
Pipe for cooling the power steering
Aircon rad
Coolant rad
Fan

Looking at that pic I would say you will need both rads replaced as the other sits closely behind and is probably dented.

Cooling pipe might not need replacing as it doesnt look that damaged.

Bumper can probably be repaired but depends on how much you want to claim.

Check that the base where the rads sit on is not bent. Get underneath to look.
Thanks for that mate. As it's not my fault I'll claim for everything that needs doing to be honest as it's the other guys insurance that will be paying.

I just want to make sure when I get it accessed that they check all the things people suggest may need looking at so nothing is missed :)
My mate (mecanic) is coming round in a bit to have a quick look too see what he can spot.

I know it's only relatively minor what has happened but it's so damn annoying as I'm the most careful person with parking my car anywhere!

Cheers
Wardy

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Make sure you're happy with the aircon after they re-gas it

Check things like headlight mounts as they can snap if the bumper is pushed hard enough.

Check that the fan isn't damaged or the housing isn't cracked.

I cant think much else being damaged

Evil_Weasel

Advanced Member
Hey, sorry to hear about your damage. If you see another of my posts, you'll see I had a similar thing happen to mine just last week! A parked car managed to roll down the hill and collide with my front bumper.

The bumper was damaged so badly it needs replacing, and Tom at TGM is already looking into getting me another one. The impact was probably at very slow speed, but the weight of the car put so much pressure on my bumper that it flexed in and put a couple of holes in my air con radiator, just behind the 'H' badge.

My air con still seems to be working, despite the damage, although yours looks a lot more damaged than mine! :(

As you may have heard, DC5 bumpers aren't in great supply at the moment in the UK! Tom said he would have to source my new bumper from Japan through Alan Day Honda. We both could be waiting a while though :cry:

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Evil_Weasel said:
As you may have heard, DC5 bumpers aren't in great supply at the moment in the UK! Tom said he would have to source my new bumper from Japan through Alan Day Honda. We both could be waiting a while though :cry:
Yeh I think the bumper could be the longest part to wait for, althoguh I'm happy to wait. Dave @ Steels does have a different bumper that needs slight alterations but I htink I'd prefer to wait for one direct from Japan, my bumper isn't so damaged that I can't drive the car once radiator etc is sorted.
"Luckily" I guess it only looks to be radiator and aircon section might need replacing other than the bumper so no damage to other bodwork or engine!

I think TGM is a bit too far away for me to be able to have my car sorted there although I have been ringing round places up here to choose my own selected garage, have also spoken with local Honda garage for their suggestion.

Cheers
Wardy

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Well all is now fixed. I had a new radiator and new aircon fitted a few weeks ago and today the new bumper fitted after it finally arrived from Japan (I refused to have one of the other replacement bumpres that Honda UK stock).

It is all as good/better than new now. Just going to add the mesh like Stu suggested now to make sure the new radiator doesn't get any little stones onto it!

Cheers
Wardy