My Brakes are Pants

Zero7

Advanced Member
ProRacer said:
Zero7 said:
The title say it all realy, my brakes are just not up to the job, I brake late and hard, it's my driving style and it's not going to change.

I upgraded (well at least I thought I did) to Delphi vented disks and delphi pads on a group buy about a year ago.

I have done about 10K miles since then and I'm not impressed, evey time they get a bit of hard use they just grumble and start to smell pretty bad.

I don't know if it's the pads, disks or combination of both. I have had the brake lines upgraded and better fludi put in too.

I was thinking about Ferodo pads, should I try these with the existing vented Dephi disks or try new Ferodo pads with the OEM disks (about 7 miles wear on these).

Thoughts :!: :?:
TBH, if you disk still not crack or wapped after 10K miles and hard braking I think that is quite amazing mate.
I use the same disk as you got for about 8 Track day and 2 races they never fade or having any problems with me. Only thing I have changed so far is the brake pad.

and no matter what pad you use, they will smell funny when they are hot. :wink:
Well, I have not done any track days with mine and i'm not saying it's the disks, that's why I am considering chaing the pads, i know of another user on this forum who also purchased the same disks and pads in the group buy and he also faced the same problems as me. I think braking is a perception thing, wht one might think is an excllent set-up and meets their needs, anothers views might differ.

jonster

Advanced Member
I must admit I wasn't too please with the Lockheeds straight away because I drove straight from Toms (TGM) to Castle Combe with them freshly fitted along with new Ferodo 2500's. I guess I didn't give them enough time to bed-in. They even felt that I had warped them after that day. On subsequent track days they've been absolutely fine and I've not had any fade problems. Overall I'm happy with them.

Jon

Zero7

Advanced Member
jonster said:
I must admit I wasn't too please with the Lockheeds straight away because I drove straight from Toms (TGM) to Castle Combe with them freshly fitted along with new Ferodo 2500's. I guess I didn't give them enough time to bed-in. They even felt that I had warped them after that day. On subsequent track days they've been absolutely fine and I've not had any fade problems. Overall I'm happy with them.

Jon
I'm running mine with the Delphi/Lockheed pads, I'm going to try them with Ferodo or Pagid pads to see if the pads are the weak link. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the disks.

jonster

Advanced Member
Making my car lighter has probably made a difference to the braking too, but I guess it's all relative (ie lighter means faster acceleration, means higher speeds reached, needing more breaking to slow down).

Get rid of the Recaros for the track and put in some light bucket seats + rails and you will love the difference.

g-zone

Advanced Member
I've found the Mugen Active Gate discs plus DS2500 pads a good combination. Consistent braking lap after lap with no fade. Wear level seems to be good after one trackday.

Paul G

Members
Update - the discs on my car have now done 6 T.days wt full race pads and slicks, plus road miles and still no probs :D

Was at Snett to day - so they got a bit of use :wink:

Paul.

dan the man

Advanced Member
The mugen discs have the cooling channels on the outside of the disc hub to inside of the vented part... looks effective.
how many other people use these?

andyd

Advanced Member
g-zone said:
I've found the Mugen Active Gate discs plus DS2500 pads a good combination. Consistent braking lap after lap with no fade. Wear level seems to be good after one trackday.

This is what i use as well.

Andy

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Here is a Pic of Paul G's disc's... just arrived today

They look very good to me!!

I'll put some more pics on the gallery page..

Mike

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
g-zone said:
So how heavy are those compared to stock discs?
I've just managed to weight them both...

A pair of oem's approx 16kgs

A pair of Paul G's approx 12kgs

So a saving of about 2Kg's per disc 8)

Mike

Paul G

Members
I gess the price will be relative to how long the discs last, all i can say so far is at 6 T.days plus road miles thats a record for me !!

And i am trying hard to destroy them :wink: :lol:

dan the man

Advanced Member
g-zone said:
I paid £403.99 from Unit-8 for the Mugen discs.
Ok so ill beat that a bit..my standard discs have so far been fine so ill bear all this in mind, many thanks!

(drove stevies RS focus the other day...very good!)