My DC5 - Past, Present, Future

David Fox

Advanced Member
Thought I would make a personal thread as I hopefully all the parts, modifying etc that I want to do will now be fulfilled in the next year, plus to give some of you the idea of what the DC5 means to me. However, I will apologise in advance if this thread goes cold for a while due to job commitments (I work overseas) and running a second car as well, plus an impending house purchase. Nothing is ever simple.

But let's start with a bit of a story for you all......

We start back in Dec 2005. I saw a DC5 advertised on Auto Trader and showed my parents to see what they thought. Instantly they both went 'What the hell is it' followed by 'Let's go and see it tomorrow' further followed by 'You better take your cheque book'. It was a done deal to be fair, I fell in love the first time I saw that picture. So off to Standish, Wigan to look at the car. I was very fortunate. the guy had 2 for sale, 1 had already been sold. The advert on Auto Trader was priced incorrectly; it was priced as the other one, which was a grand less. To be fair the garage honoured it if I was to purchase. I call it clever salesmanship. It was an instant purchase. The car was standard:

I purchased a Gruppe M Induction System and updated the stereo to a single DIN but with a tray underneath for the iPod. Back then, it was the schnizzle. I also updated the speakers to Focals, which vastly improved sound, but to be honest, it was mainly VTEC singing around that car. Also banged a private plate on her. As far as modding went, that was it. I thought the car was fine as it was.

As I was stationed in Weeton, Preston at the time, I got the chance to meet a few people from this forum, and enjoyed a couple of meetings:

Then in late 2006 I went to Iraq for about 7 months (same time as another member on here!) At this time promotion loomed and an impending assignment to Germany beckoned after the tour. As I never kept any car longer than 14 months it seemed the right thing to do was to sell up after the tour and take advantage of the tax free savings out in Germany. So I sold up to a lovely lady called Natalie (was known as Foxy Red on here, works as TGM now!) but I was very reluctant to get rid. Natalie had to assure me that she would look after it. As the car drove off up the road when it was sold, my Mum simply said with a tear in her eye 'You will regret selling the Teg..........'

So in mid 2007 she was gone. On order was a brand new Ford Focus ST3. I didn't have it one day before I modified her:

Clearly the white wheels were a homage to the DC5. Tuned by Wolf/Profile automotive in Stockport, she was pushing out 290 bhp. A fantastic car, absolutely loved it.

Then the start of 2009 I felt another car needed to be purchased (remember, I am still in Germany, I could get a new tax free car every year) so I sold my ST to my Dad and purchased a Facelift version. Again it was modified in the first week and tuned again by the same company, but this poked out 305 bhp:

Influence of the DC5 still there as you can see. Again, a fantastic car, really enjoyed this one. The following year I was prepping for Afghanistan so I really wasn't interested in purchasing another tax free car. It sounds silly to say but the British Forces Germany (BFG) system is a pain the arse for documenting your car, registering etc. Plus I was content with the ST. but then I got an amazing deal on this:

I don't care what anyone says, this is an awesome car. It was very brutal. I was lucky as mine had the ECU upgrade as some owners had complained of not having 300 bhp. Mine was bizarrely pushing out 318 bhp standard - even Ford were surprised. Such a great car that my Dad bought one the day before I got mine!

Now, this is 2010. Having a Focus RS you would think I would be pretty happy. But then at Xmas 2010 my Mum found me looking at ads for DC5's and knew that I still pined for my first love. My Mum simply said 'Find your old one, buy it back'. So the search began. It was relatively easy. Natalie had sold it to a gentleman called Ben Hatton in the Norfolk area. I was given his details and rang him. I enquired if the car was for sale. He said it wasn't. So I told him that I wanted first refusal should he sell it. A few weeks later I got the call while I was away in Germany. So a flight was booked to the UK and armed with the cash, I went and picked up my old DC5. Testament to both Natalie and Ben, the car was still in fantastic condition. To say I was happy was an understatement! the car was standard (the Gruppe M had been sold by Natalie) and Ben had learned the art of claying, so the car was mint.

Sadly, Ben passed away a couple of weeks after he sold the car to me. If you are a member on the Type R Owners Forum you will know he was very much loved. I even went to his funeral, taking the DC5 down as his family had a collection of the cars he had owned throughout his life, and I wanted to show my support, travelling nearly a 1000 miles to attend so the Teg could be there.

2011 came and went, with the car hardly used as I was all over the place. Kenya, Jordan and a lovely 8 month Afghanistan tour. When I returned I wanted to update the car a bit:

The stereo installed is an Alpine S900R INE with a reverse camera installed:

Then the seats. The Alacantra was wearing; it's an 11 year old car at this point with 100k miles. So it was off to Capital Seating in Leicester (the same place we all order the bolsters from) with the demand that I have red leather seats complete with door cards. The results speak for themselves:

Since then the car has mainly been used as a summer car - As I am still in Germany I rarely drive it. The RS Focus has gone and replaced with a diesel barge for the road trips home (900 mile one way) in the form of a BMW 320d M Sport Touring. My first BMW, and I am very impressed, and kept the DC5 spirit alive with the colour and red seats:

Modifications to the car at the moment have been sparse:

Tegiwa Induction system (no difference to the Gruppe M apart from price)
Engine bay bling (rocker cover in red, carbon bits)
Sills and the corners on the wing mirrors have been sprayed gloss black
OEM Alloys sprayed black (still have original white ones as well)
Kakimoto Regu 06 Cat Back exhaust
Private Plate (again)
All badges replaced with new ones
Wind Deflectors

I have also had the car undersealed again, and waxoyled the arches. There is zero rust on the car. It's condition embarrasses newer cars.

Plans for the next 12 months:

FRSU/Eibach springs
Full respray in CW. The car will be stripped to the chassis - I am even having the engine removed for this.
Paintshield/equivalent for paint protection
K-Pro
RBC Inlet
Race Header (DC Sports seems good)
Rear seats retrimmed in black leather
New Carpet (lighter red to match the seats, or maybe black, suggestions?)
Black Type R Mats

I am more than happy for suggestions of what to do. I am not after balls out power, just a little bit more, I am concentrating on looking after the car. I don't want a turbo or supercharger fitted. I will be selling the BMW next year for a V8. That will have all the power I'll need thanks........

I see posts on here all the time about people thinking of selling up. Don't do it. I have been there as a few others have. You always come back. They are fantastic machines, I will never make the mistake of selling again. If you do decide to sell, don't sell for cheap, these are future classics.

Hope I haven't bored you all too much!

Altecians

Advanced Member
Great write up dude, crazy how you managed to get it back after the few years away from it.
I still miss my ek9, and after a quite a few nissans later being back in the Honda game brings back alot of nostalgia. Not making the same mistake with this 5.
Keep this thread updated, been good reading!

scottj15

Advanced Member
Great read! It's interesting to see someone else who has gone to newer and more powerful cars than the DC5 and still come back to the Teg in the end. Defiantly something about them that no other car can match. Stunning example David and love the seats, look forward to updates in the future xthumbup

Mark_teg

Staff member
Great read Dave! Some wise words there and I always love hearing the story about you buying it back!

I'm guessing they're my old wheels too..

David Fox

Advanced Member
Altecians said:
Great write up dude, crazy how you managed to get it back after the few years away from it.
I still miss my ek9, and after a quite a few nissans later being back in the Honda game brings back alot of nostalgia. Not making the same mistake with this 5.
Keep this thread updated, been good reading!
I am not ashamed to say I do love my car, this particular one. I had sat in other DC5's but I missed mine. I think it was the fact that i had great memories of some brilliant times whilst I had the car marked with the fact I just generally loved it and wanted that car back. It's a fantastic car and people really will struggle to get something a lot better for your money - I really don't think there is anything out there.

newyorkaddict said:
Superb read, Ben would be proud to see his old car still loved as much as he loved it.
Ben was a lovely lad, such a tragic loss. In the short time I knew him we got on famously. I will have to get the car down there for a pilgrimage in the future. He was very shocked when I explained to him I was the original owner!

scottj15 said:
Great read! It's interesting to see someone else who has gone to newer and more powerful cars than the DC5 and still come back to the Teg in the end. Defiantly something about them that no other car can match. Stunning example David and love the seats, look forward to updates in the future xthumbup
As the car is light and everything else i have bought since then have been heavy, I don't really miss the extra power. To me it's not all about that. There is only so much power you can exploit. My Dad has the C63 AMG coupe and it has circa 480 bhp. He will never exploit all that power - you need to be a race driver to achieve that. I'm more interested in making the Teg a little bit better in every aspect. Everyone comes back to the Teg!

Brophy

Advanced Member
Fantastic read mate , thanks for posting :) I knew I had seen someone have the seats re trimmed in leather but couldn't remember who lol

How do they compare to the old material ?

(Only ask as would consider having mines done - in blue)

Thanks

David Fox

Advanced Member
Brophy said:
Fantastic read mate , thanks for posting :) I knew I had seen someone have the seats re trimmed in leather but couldn't remember who lol

How do they compare to the old material ?

(Only ask as would consider having mines done - in blue)

Thanks
The material is excellent. The company also does the seats you see the managers sat on at Old Trafford etc. The leather is excellent. The company does know this seat and they will send you samples of colour you want to go for.

I also ban anyone sitting in the car with jeans on or I put the seat cover on for them. Women, I just ask them to take off their pants anyway. They fully understand the reasons.

David Fox

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Great read Dave! Some wise words there and I always love hearing the story about you buying it back!

I'm guessing they're my old wheels too..
Indeed they are Mark. Have never left the car since I got them. To be honest I think the car suits black wheels better than white! However looking for some new alloys so these may be moving on at some point. Quite fancy Rotas.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
You've sold it. I'm definitely definitely getting an OEM front bumper and sticker plate.

David Fox

Advanced Member
blueguy said:
Great write up David. One of the best owner stories on the forum.
Thanks mate. I might not be a regular 'poster' on here, but I do have an obsession with DC5's and in particular, mine. I don't care what car I've been in, how much of a bad day I've had or whatever, I smile when I'm in this. I will probably be the sole member of this forum eventually, as I will be driving this well into old age.

A story I did forget to mention is the fact I threw away a very serious relationship for this car - we are talking potential marriage (I felt faint as I typed that then). When I decided to purchase again, my girlfriend at the time wanted to 'save for our future' and she was very against me buying this car back - sod off. Out on her ear within 24 hours of telling me that statement. Strangely I have never had a serious relationship since......

David Fox

Advanced Member
Thought I would update this - told you I wouldn't be on here a lot!

Decided to have the steering wheel trimmed in leather. After speaking with TypeItr on here about his steering wheel, I decided to go down the same path, albeit in a plain style. As the seats are leather, it makes sense to bring the wheel up to date as well. Results speak for themselves:

The feel of the wheel is so much better, top quality. The gentleman who I used, Pete, works for Bentley and his job is all things leather. The quality of his work is exceptional. If anyone is interested in doing this for their car, email Pete on ptayl0r@ymail.com.