my exhaust manifold is acting weird!

brucey87

Advanced Member
a few weeks ago i noticed a blowing noise comming from around the exhaust mani. I left it for a bit because it was due for a mot really soon so i thought i could get it looked at just before that.

so it went on the ramp at kwik fit today and had it looked at but there was no blowing noise atall and the joints were tight but that was with the engine warm :xconfused:

im 100% sure it is blowing im not hearing things, its only with the engine cold on fast idle, or say im in 5th at 2,000 rpm and i put my foot down it will do it then but it will ease off as it picks up.

im stumped, anyone else has this problem or can think what it could be. BTW iv got a spoon 4-2 with oem 2-1

MattDC5

Advanced Member
I had a similar problem (got worse once the car warmed up) which only started once i fitted a Spoon manifold. Never got it fixed though, so cant offer any advice.

The garage fitting the mani commented on how Spoon were renowned for being 'noisy'.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Spoon manifolds have a resonator box where the CAT usually goes - do a search on here and you'll find info about the Spoon whooshing noises you hear

It's normal btw

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
its normal with the spoon for it to sound like that, it did my head in a bit so i wrapped it which helped

brucey87

Advanced Member
thanks for the replys. i have only got the spoon 4-2 section fitted with oem 2-1 with cat in so cant be the resonator box.

its been heat wrapped already but just on the spoon 4-2 section.

im sure it wasn't making the noise when it was first fitted i would of picked up on it. i cant hear the noise much from the engine bay but can hear it more when trying to look underneith so maybe its where it goes into 2 or the flexi?

could it be the gaskets or the flexi expanding when warm and closing the gap? is there another aftermarket 4-2 section you can buy apart from spoon? suppose that would cure it, as i sold my oem 4-2

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you can get a J'S Racing 4-2 , its a little thicker than the spoon but i expect the spoon is the problem, I have no idea why tho but it is fairly common i remember mine was the same we looked for the blow but it just wasnt there, it got worse when the 2-1 was fitted.

Rob.

Advanced Member
My Spoon 4-2 manifold cracked on 2nd and 3rd cylinder pipes.
It was the welds that cracked where it bolts to engine.
It started as bit of blowing which I couldnt find where it was coming from then got worse to the point where I could see black soot marks where it had been blowing.
It was the last place I thourght of looking..

Maybe worth a look..

brucey87

Advanced Member
Rob. said:
My Spoon 4-2 manifold cracked on 2nd and 3rd cylinder pipes.
It was the welds that cracked where it bolts to engine.
It started as bit of blowing which I couldnt find where it was coming from then got worse to the point where I could see black soot marks where it had been blowing.
It was the last place I thourght of looking..

Maybe worth a look..

thanks mate il have to get it on axle stands tomorrow and have another good look and feel around for any blowing comming through. im pretty sure its comming from the bottom of the mani though not the top where it bolts to the engine. did you manage to get it fixed?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Rob, some questions ref your crack (ooh err :shock: )

was your spoon mani cracked recently or a while ago ?

were the original honda bolts and springs used on the (what looks like non) flexi joint (not the joint with the overbraid)?

it was common for them to break when these were substituted for a normal bolt without the spring as it effectively solid mounts those two cylinder runners to the rest of the system. the springs allow the joint to move a little

i have not heard of any problems with the spoon manis for a few years now, but personally saw several that had been fitted incorrectly and caused cracks to appear.

Rob.

Advanced Member
brucey87 said:
thanks mate il have to get it on axle stands tomorrow and have another good look and feel around for any blowing comming through. im pretty sure its comming from the bottom of the mani though not the top where it bolts to the engine. did you manage to get it fixed?
Yeh took manifold off and re-welded it.
It must have been blowing for a while because i couldnt belive how quite it was after..

Rob.

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Rob, some questions ref your crack (ooh err :shock: )

was your spoon mani cracked recently or a while ago ?

were the original honda bolts and springs used on the (what looks like non) flexi joint (not the joint with the overbraid)?

it was common for them to break when these were substituted for a normal bolt without the spring as it effectively solid mounts those two cylinder runners to the rest of the system. the springs allow the joint to move a little

i have not heard of any problems with the spoon manis for a few years now, but personally saw several that had been fitted incorrectly and caused cracks to appear.
Yes mate it has original Honda bolts and springs used.
Thats why I couldnt understand why the original weld had cracked, and why it was the last place I looked as a last resort really ..
Car has also been to TGM for LSD and new clutch so it wouldnt be fitted incorrectly would it..

It was about 2 months ago it happened and had only done about 30k with the Spoon mani fitted..