My insurance troubles.....

ohmtastic

Ok... i'll start with the facts....

I've had my teg off the road for the last few months, now i have the money to get it back on the road and run it etc... My previous insurer was Bell, which was for 10months for about £1350, they gave me £1700 on a 12month renewal which then went up to £1800 then back down to £1380 when i said that it was outrageous, that was back in february. Since calling them up they cant even find a DC5 on there system, only the DC2, So i'm wondering because i'm insuring a 2001 (y plate) Dc5 that they put me down as a DC2, thus invalidating my insurance? anyway....

I'm 22, i have been driving for 4 years, i have 4 years no claims, and i have had no claims or convictions.

I also have a problem when inputting my car registration (even though i've had no trouble getting the V5 through from the DVLA) it comes up as a blue honda, no model, no year etc.... so i have to input it manually. has anyone else had this trouble? so half the trouble i have with insurance companies is if it doesn't have it listed then i can't insure it, i think that it even came up as a honda prelude on go compare.

i'm currently working my way through the list of insurance companies in the sticky, here's a list of what i've found so far:-

Adrian Flux 08700 777240 ----------------------------- £1804 (£600 excess)
Alexander Mcnicol 01506 653937
A-Plan 0845 0711234 ---------------------------------- Awaiting a reply
Churchill 0800 200326 --------------------------------- Will not quote (age)
Direct Line 0845 246 8888 ----------------------------- Will not Quote (age)
Hill House Hamond 01733 310899
Laurie Ross 0141 6432131
Norwich Union Direct 08705 502 006 ---------------------(Aviva) Cannot find car and not on manual list.
Sky 0870 112 1759
Tesco 0845 300 9900 --------------------------------- Cannot find car and not on manual list.
Lifesure 0871 726 1235

My current insurance company (bell) with another car have quoted me an extra £500 ontop of about £800 which isn't too bad. And i've just found my old bell insurance details so i'll be giving them a call to get a proper re-quote with the right car (it actually says DC5 on the policy).

So does anyone know how car insurance companies look up your registration because if its through the DVLA then it should be fine since my V5 is all correct... anyway...
I'm hoping sky or a-plan can help me out with a nice cheap insurance so i can drive my beloved again :)

Cheers
Ohm

(i'll update more when i get to call them).

rodney

Advanced Member
Skimmed over it mate but Tett Hanilton is worth a try,speak to the import side. Never heard of Bell? Are they similar to elephant or something, if so stay clear.

I'm with A-plan, alot of people are, very competitive.

You're looking at a pretty packet being 22.

HTH

rodney

Advanced Member
Also it's well known that sone companies get confused and list the policy as a dc2. Only certain companies have access to insure a DC5.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
I just insured my teg with admiral, i just turned 23....10 months - £1750! #-o Driving for 4 years but as a named driver so i have zero NCB!!! Aftermarket exhaust and coilovers declared.

Had no problems with typing in the reg.

ohmtastic

Well just tried to get through to bell 20mins on hold so gave up i'll be trying them again in a minute.

Bell are/were part of the admiral group and i've been swapping between them and directline over the last few years with various cars... first car rover 416 (£1300 TPFT) second car was a brand new vauxhall astra sport hatch (£1100 fully comp) work that one out... as it was valued at £15000 with me passing my test 4months before at 18...

Each year on swapping directline have beaten bell, and then bell have beaten directline.... infact directline wouldn't insure me on my crx del sol until i was 21... typical, it was only group 16, but because i could take the roof off they wouldn't insure those under 21.

now to try bell again.

ohmtastic

Well got hold of bell.... Not impressed, £1900, £500 difference since they quoted me £1380 back in february, using same details (address etc. since i haven't changed anything... only difference is i gained a bday in between then.)

So i basically told them where to go.... why is it i could get insurance easier at 21 but now i'm 22 i can't... ](*,) should be getting a call back from sky at around 3pm (15mins), and the guy said that he will try his best to get me the cheapest quote, and i get a 20% discount for a being a member on here :) yay! :D

How can insurance jump up in cost by so much in just a few months... even when nothing has changed i've gained a bday so surely it must be cheaper for me.... It costs enough with petrol prices going through the roof and hitting £1.20/L. Its no wonder that there is a huge increase in the number of unisured drivers when the insurance companies make it so difficult for people to insure their cars even when they've had them for a time.

Why can't we have a basic third party insurance applied when you have car tax. Australia has it, if you want fire and theft/compreshensive then simple go to an insurance company, but if you don't want/need it then don't pay for it.

I'd quite happily pay an extra £30-£50 tax to pay for third party insurance... it would allow me to drive on the road if needed (as long as taxed), it would stop uninsured drivers full stop (unless its not taxed), It would limit damage done to peoples bank accounts... loads of benefits :)

ohmtastic

Woooooo!!!!

THANK YOU SKY!!!! namely a guy there called Alex.

£1211 fully comp including courtesy car, legal cover, windscreen cover etc... and only £400 excess.... thats the price i was expecting to get when i first started looking and finally an insurance company with common sense :D

Furthermore, i'm buying the insurance on friday and he's going to give it to me for about £1170... such a nice bloke :D

Sky insurance
5/5stars
100/100 points
2 thumbs up

ohm

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
I had the very same problem but with Admiral, not Bell. Before I bought the car I got a quote for a 2002-06 Integra DC5 from Admiral at a decent price as an estimate, and was told that having a 2001 model would not cause any problems at all. After 2 months of looking I finally bought one which was a Y reg (2001). This then caused a problem for Admiral, who claimed that they did not insure the car as 'the system' didn't recognise it being a 2001 - 06 car. After a few phone calls I got nowhere with Admiral, who obviously employ people who do their job as instructed and dont make any modifications to 'the system' for personal circumstances; such as insuring 2001 Integra's the same as 2002, despite my persistance that the cars were identical.

Anyway I looked at sister companies of Admiral and found Bell insurance. I phoned Bell insurance and to my suprise they provided a quote for a 2001 DC5. I asked to talk to the manager to confirm this was true, after the trouble I had had with Admiral. The manager came on the phone and said it was fine and all they do is manually put the information in for cars that sit just outside the model year bracket they have and admitted 'the system' wasn't perfect. So I got my quote from Bell and then tried Elephant and everything was ok there as well, they actually worked out a bit cheaper than both Admiral & Bell, so I went with them instead.

So in answer to your question, yes Bell and Elephant will insure 2001 DC5's, but you will need to phone them and request they manually input the information & check with the underwritters.

I have my policy document and everything is correct.

jammy84

Advanced Member
try Chris Knott insurance mate thats who im with, theyre very good, and after adding on extra mods, theyve not increased my insurance, only my excess...

also Bell has the dc5 on thier file because ive seen it on thier website so thats wierd they cudnt find it