My new Teg, couple of issues....

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

so i finally got myself a teg and happened to find the original build thread on here:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11750-lees-project-updated-180509/

obligatory pics of my ep3 which will be going to a new home soon if anyone is interested or knows anyone:

loving it so far, just a couple of queries:

1) when i was driving back, i didn't abuse the brakes but when i went to stop from around 70mph and pushed the pedal fairly hard, there was some resistance at first, but then the pedal went to the floor? i released it and pushed it again and the resistance came back, but didnt test it after that.. thoughts?

also when generally braking, there is a lot of vibration through the brake pedal? owner said he took the pads off the other week and sanded them down as they were a bit rough but had plenty of meat left on them, they are ferodo ds2500.

2) clutch pedal feels a bit rough compared to my ep3, as in not smooth when being depressed, and the bite point is low. does it just need adjusting or could some bearings be on their way out? car is on 88k miles, but my ep3 has the same mileage and feels a lot smoother.

3) bonnet struts snapped so need some new ones, wheres best to get reasonably priced ones? you can see in the thread it previously had carbon NRG ones..

that's all for now, will get some more pics up when the weather is better!

cheers

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
The brakes as standard are poor on these cars anyway.

They're a progressive brake which means they won't feel hard straight away, there's a lot of travel in the pedal feel before you get any decent braking out of them.

In saying that, you have DS2500 so the braking should be a lot better.

As for the clutch, could be on its way out.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Congratulations, looks an awesome buy with alot of goodies.

Doesn't sound right, but I'm not tecnhnically minded to even suggest anything, but worth getting it looked at.
Vibration would suggest maybe warpped brake discs?
so cleaning pads off won't help.
But I would disagree the standard brakes are not that poor in my opinion, but obviously upgrades would make it better. If you are hard on brakes a few consecutive times from high speeds or track times, then yes the standard brakes won't cope, but for normal road use the oe brembo setup is pretty good when setup well.

bonnet struts, i think cheap ones off ebay work just fine and little outlay, although may need some assistance on the struts to go up a bit.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
thanks for the feedback, is there anyway to manually check if the discs are warped without paying a mechanic?

my ep3 just had new calipers discs and pads and stops brilliant, the teg currently is a lot worse, but if it were all new i would assume the brembos would be better than the standard 2 pot ep3 calipers surely?

im not that bothered about hardcore track racing, but the brakes are shocking at the moment, and im pretty sure pedal going to the floor is a very bad sign that shouldnt happen

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I believe brake fluid should be changed every 35k? Therefore be worth getting that done?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Sounds like there is air in the brake lines so needs rebleeding, if you have no evidence of the brake fluid being changed recently I'd use this as an excuse to get some good fluid in it.

Vibration under braking could be wrapped discs but unlikely, i'd be more inclined to say there will be carbon deposits (brake dust for all intents and purposes) on the surface of the discs causing the vibration, it should disappear over time.

Ferodo DS2500 aren't really designed for light driving, they will leave deposits on the discs and also glaze over, they are definitely more a fast road pad.

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
My teg had a vibration on the brakes when braking from high speed, turned out the pads had cracks in them and a new set of pads and discs cured it.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I used to get pad pickup from DS2500's all the time as my car is a daily so a lot of light braking involved. Most of the time some heavy braking resolved it, but if i left it a long time it would get quite bad and heavy braking was not enough to clear it. The way to fix it was brake cleaner, douse the disc surface in it to remove the deposits, then go out and do some heavy braking, problem solved. By doing this you're either evening out the pad deposits, or removing the excess pad deposits from the disc and applying a fresh even layer ;)

I would also inspect the seals around the master cylinder and calipers although its not common for these to break, otherwise it definately sounds like your brake fluid is contaminated and needs changing.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Congratulations, looks an awesome buy with alot of goodies.

Doesn't sound right, but I'm not tecnhnically minded to even suggest anything, but worth getting it looked at.
Vibration would suggest maybe warpped brake discs?
so cleaning pads off won't help.
But I would disagree the standard brakes are not that poor in my opinion, but obviously upgrades would make it better. If you are hard on brakes a few consecutive times from high speeds or track times, then yes the standard brakes won't cope, but for normal road use the oe brembo setup is pretty good when setup well.

bonnet struts, i think cheap ones off ebay work just fine and little outlay, although may need some assistance on the struts to go up a bit.
I disagree and I'm not the only one.

They're one of the worst brakes on any performance car I've ever had.

To date the best brakes I had were on my B20 EK9, it had EG6 VTI discs and pads and they were fantastic.

I want to upgrade my brakes as they don't provide me personally with any confidence when braking hard and it affects the whole feel and setup of the car, quite scary at times.

Supposedly DS2500's along with upgraded brake lines help massively but I wouldn't know.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
right i have had a look at the break fluid, the reservoir is about half full and its VERY dark, i think new fluid time..

another question, will ep3 wheels fit the dc5, if so is it a straight fit or are spacers needed? i ask because my ep3 wheels have new wet weather tyres so wouldnt mind these on the 5 for a bit, also wouldnt mind seeing what they look like haha.

and vice versa, will the dc5 wheels fit the ep3 and are spacers required?

cheers

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
right i have had a look at the break fluid, the reservoir is about half full and its VERY dark, i think new fluid time..

another question, will ep3 wheels fit the dc5, if so is it a straight fit or are spacers needed? i ask because my ep3 wheels have new wet weather tyres so wouldnt mind these on the 5 for a bit, also wouldnt mind seeing what they look like haha.

and vice versa, will the dc5 wheels fit the ep3 and are spacers required?

cheers
I think this is without spacers

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19006-wheels-what-fits-and-how-they-look/?p=388867

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
thanks, i have pm'd that user :)

another one, in vtec the car feels quite unstable, as in it wants to move side to side a lot and you have to fight it to keep it straight. now i know the tracking is out slightly but surely it wouldnt cause that amount of sideways movement in both directions?

when my ep3 had its tracking out, it didnt act like this either, and that was lowered with FRSU etc... then again this has buddyclub n+ coilovers so dont know if that affects this kind of issue?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Now thats a really tough one, so many variables... could be tyres, suspension mods, ride height, geo settings (in particular front toe settings), worn lower control arm bushings. Can you list all the suspension mods, geo settings, approx drop in height, wheel and tyre specs? Might give us some clues :wacko:

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Most likely needs geo redone. Could also be poor quality tires, whats its got on it?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
thanks, i have pm'd that user :)

another one, in vtec the car feels quite unstable, as in it wants to move side to side a lot and you have to fight it to keep it straight. now i know the tracking is out slightly but surely it wouldnt cause that amount of sideways movement in both directions?

when my ep3 had its tracking out, it didnt act like this either, and that was lowered with FRSU etc... then again this has buddyclub n+ coilovers so dont know if that affects this kind of issue?
Are you sure that's not the limited slip kicking in? if your not used to having limited slip it can come as quite a shock. Are you on the straight or a slight bend when it occurs?

T.G.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
its got toyo px4s? fronts have lots of tread, rears about 3mm.

its had a FRSU a few years ago, with eibach camber arms and bolts.

as mentioned, it now has buddyclub n+ coilovers, no idea on the drop, but this pic is from last night and is the closest thing to showing it:

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Topgeezer said:
Are you sure that's not the limited slip kicking in? if your not used to having limited slip it can come as quite a shock. Are you on the straight or a slight bend when it occurs?

T.G.
hi mate,

was a VERY minor bend so i doubt it was the diff as i have felt that around roundabouts etc. will test it on the straight on the way home, but fairly confident it does it on the straights too

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Depending on the road surface the car can pull all over the road when giving it some.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
Depending on the road surface the car can pull all over the road when giving it some.
mate ive driven these roads hundreds of times in my ep3 and not had this issue... these are smooth dual carriageways not bumpy B roads..

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
mate ive driven these roads hundreds of times in my ep3 and not had this issue...
I dont think the UK EP3 has LSD not sure if the JDM EP3 has though.

It's not a good time ATM for giving it to much, roads are wet/damp/salty not a good mix ;)

T.G.