My oil is not used up as I expected it

Splink

Advanced Member
Ok, so the teg uses oil, however, I have only put about a litre in mine in the last 3 months.

I know the teg is supposed to use oil, but I expect that is because of the way the engine is treated. I check mine weekly, and it really does not need topping up weekly at all. Is this normal, or should it be using it up more?

I dont drive like a maniac - infact, only use vtec when I have to overtake someone doing 30 mph on a 60 road (nasty speed cameras :))

rialnet

same here mate - i check it at least once a week and it's never needed topping up since i had it services about 6 weeks ago.... :?

Erm

Advanced Member
:lol: recently i didnt have to top mine up inbetween 2 oil changes 4k miles apart!!!

which is highly unusual as i normally have to top up a couple of times!

its a conspiracy!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

gonzo

Advanced Member
I went round europe last week with 1500miles, did 5 laps at nurburg.

over the week i needed over 1 litre of oil!

corbie

Advanced Member
fook thats a lot of oil gonzo.

since starting to change my oil (Millers XFS 5w40) every 6K miles I haven't used that much. maybe 0.5L in 6K.

Mine used to use a lot more oil when I changed at 12K, as 12K approached it would use more and more oil.

What Oil is everybody using?

T666YPR

Since lowering my Vtec to 3400 mines guzzling it.

Think I'll pop it back to 5250 (ta Jon) for everyday and move it down for trackdays.

Using Redline 5W30 8)

mikegsi

Staff member
on the reccomendation of dealership i use semi synth 10-40

is this a good oil to use???
rarely have to top up the oil, although regularly check it

Suped

Advanced Member
thought these engines use fully synth 5w40? need to buy some anyway, got any brands of recommendation worth the purchase?

mikegsi

Staff member
thinking whether i should do an oil and filter change before my trackday on saturday and putting some fully synth in it instead of running on the semi synth....
been 2k miles since last oil and filter change, semi was put in, had to top up with 1/4 litre since then

yay or nay????

mikegsi

Staff member
i agree, 2K is nothing, but i am using semi synth (thats what dealership recommended at last service) and wonder if i should actually be using fully synth?

T666YPR

You'll be fine with the oil you have in Mike.

If the oil on the dipstick is starting to smell of smoke rather than oil and is a little too dark for comfort,then change it before your track day.

If it's not too bad,why ruin new oil on your track day,change it after.

(Line 2 is very vague and open to the wrong interpretation,DON'T run on a track day with black,smoky oil!)

mikegsi

Staff member
thankyou, i'm a lot happier now!

i shall be sniffing the dipstick later on (f'nar f'nar) and decide from there!! :wink:

so you dont reckon theres any reason not to continue using semi synth in these motors? pro's, con's etc?

cheers :D

User

Advanced Member
Use 5 30 Motul in mine.

Not drinking at all atm. Maybe it'll start using some once the mileage has built up a bit....?

It's only on 16/17k at the mo.

I'm going to be changing mine every 6k with a service at 12k purely because it's (possibly) the best oil you can get your hands on.