My quest for a DC5 !! (Update...quest is over !!)

Ken A

Advanced Member
Ok guys...found an Arctic Blue DC5 ( 2002) about 1hr 45mins away from where I live.

I went to look at it today and test drove it. My first impression was that it was a Honda !! by that I mean, low, hard and sporty to drive unlike most of its European competitors. ( I'm used to driving BMW's ).

It was fairly tight to be honest and I thought it was relatively quiet in the cabin. There was 50k km on the clock.It was in good condition except for one or two things...one small scuff on the front lip spoiler and a small scuff on one of the sideskirts. the drivers seat had a small tear on the bolster. Tyres were good, suspension, bakes, balljoints, steering etc all seemed good.

Although I have no previous experience of owning a Honda, I'd have a fair idea if something was wrong.

It was fast, although not blindingly quick.

taking the VRT out of the equation ( which is painstaking over here !!), the garage were looking for 17.5k euro ( 12,200 stg).

I am seriously considering this car. I have one or two questions.

1. is there anything that should be done to the car at that mileage or anything liable to need replacing shortly after I buy the car ??

2. It had a rear windscreen wiper and privacy glass but no foglights. Any idea what spec car this is ?? Cant remember if it had folding mirrors or sunroof !

3. Does this sound like a good buy ?? :D :lol:

andyd

Advanced Member
if it had a sun roof its not a Interga Type R

Thats ill be a RSX..... :lol:

Andy

JOM

Advanced Member
Hi Ken,

Glad you managed to get a test drive in the end, was as it expected?

With respect to your question if it is a good buy I guess you options are limited as there are less tegs to choose from in Ireland.

Ken A

Advanced Member
Howdy JOM...

It felt like a performance car for sure. I was happy enough with it to be honest. But you're right though....very little choice here ! Theres a few in Dublin for sale..( 4hrs drive) all white though. from what I can see no other Arctic blue DC5 for sale down here.

The other option was to buy one in the UK. I wont get it any cheaper but maybe I might get one with no kerb rashing or with out a tear in the drivers seat. Is it worth the long haul for that ??

Maybe I can get the seat repaired handy enough... I wonder ??
Beautiful colour though...

mikegsi

Staff member
you'd have to weigh everything up, personally i wouldnt be happy with the tear or scuffs, but both can be easily remedied, prob for cheaper than trying to source one from the uk too

Ken A

Advanced Member
yeah....can get them repaired.

@Andy....I dont remember seeing a sunroof but it was defo an Integra. the big H on the front kind of gave it away !! :lol:

truffs

Hmmmmm £12500 for a 2002 with 50k on the clock and damage, my honest opinion is to carry on looking mate, but thats just my opinion :lol:

As for not very quick, thats the beauty with these cars, its not the outline speed that gets you its the package when you learn how to drive it properly :wink:

Ken A

Advanced Member
truffs said:
Hmmmmm £12500 for a 2002 with 50k on the clock and damage, my honest opinion is to carry on looking mate, but thats just my opinion :lol:

As for not very quick, thats the beauty with these cars, its not the outline speed that gets you its the package when you learn how to drive it properly :wink:
I reckon I could have it in tip top shape for about €500. And thats 30k miles truffs ( just to clarify). :wink:

You see the problem is I dont know when I'll come across one again in this part of the country :cry:

As regards the acceleration.....dont get me wrong..it was bloody fast but just that I'm used to driving quick cars so it didnt blow me away. I did notice though, it was on rails. I did a few roundabouts and it was a case f point and shoot !! :eek:

User

Advanced Member
The OE seats will suffer wear at some point. Mine has less than 30k on it and a hole appeared a few weeks ago.

My seat is in for repair at the moment - should get it back today or tomorrow looking like new. I ordered the alcantara (£80) - and asked the trimmers to use every last inch of it - just told them to replace as many panels on the seat as they can. It's going to cost less than £200 all in to get probably 4 panels done.

As for how quick the car is - as standard it will keep with a newage Impreza Sti on track. Start modding it and it will outpace one.

Ken A

Advanced Member
Impressive stuff user...yeah I'd probably get this one repaired as well if I'm gonna buy it.

I suppose they cant avoid getting torn at some point cause you rub off it every time you get in and out.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Ken,did you get a chance to Vtec the TEG on your test-drive? That would certainly have shown you how nippy this motor can be :wink:

macer

Advanced Member
Hi Ken

Im putting mine up for sale due to a house move, Its a Dec 01 model. If you are interested let me know
Im in Dublin BTW

The Mods/Upgrades are
JS’Racing Titanium Cat Back exhaust, “very rare”
Toda manifold, “probably the best manifold on the market for the DC5”
Mugen Airbox
Buddy Club earth wiring kit.
Exedy Racing clutch. “Brand New”
New Endless break pads front and back.
Motul Break fluid
Motul engine oil
Hondata K-Pro ECU with USB cable.
Four “Brand new” Bridgestone Tyres.

NCT 11/07

The Hondata is a fantastic ECU for remapping the car for 95RON fuel. I had the car on the rolling road std and got 210BHP should be 220BHP
std but for the 95RON, after the exhaust and Manifold it made 221BHP.
With the Hondata the Car is now making 241BHP on 95 RON.
I also have a nice fully mapped racefuel setup that is making some serious power, full details if you have a real interest.
All the maps are custom made for the car. Maps can be uploaded with any PC or Laptop.
I still have the original manifold, exhaust & airbox and I can also put back in a std ECU if interested in buying the car std without the mods.

Ken A

Advanced Member
dc5-2ltr said:
Ken,did you get a chance to Vtec the TEG on your test-drive? That would certainly have shown you how nippy this motor can be :wink:
I actually did drive the nuts off it. I was impressed to be honest but I reckon give me a bit of time with it and I'd be even more impressed...if ya know what I mean :wink: :lol:

@macer..you have PM

ally_mac

Advanced Member
macer said:
I also have a nice fully mapped racefuel setup that is making some serious power, full details if you have a real interest.
what sort of hp is she doing with the race fuel mate

Ken A

Advanced Member
Gonna go look at this car I put my eye on again today.

Is there anything you guys would recommend I look out for before deciding on buying ?? ..ie common faults maybe ??

Gary

Advanced Member
Ken A said:
Gonna go look at this car I put my eye on again today.

Is there anything you guys would recommend I look out for before deciding on buying ?? ..ie common faults maybe ??
Yeah I would recommend that you go look at Macer's cos it is nicely not to mention expensively modded which will save you a fortune not to mention all the hassle in the long run cos you will probably mod any DC5 similarly yourself so if you can get assurances from Macer that it's has been well cared for which it sounds as if it has and hasn't got any or too many track miles on it then it's surely gotta be worth the drive up to Dublin to take a closer look and possibly do business!!!

Ken A

Advanced Member
My quest for a DC5 is over at last. Ive bought the one I was loooking at last week. I'm going to collect it on saturday. its Arctic Blue on a '02 plate. cant wait !!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ :wink:

macer

Advanced Member
TUT TUT TUT Mine not good enough for ya ha :x

But seriously well done, so if ya want to take her for a drive on Sunday up to Dublin I will let ya know where the Honda meet is taking place.