My Windscreen Nightmare.., Advice Needed

Sweeney

So, took my car for an MOT today at Honda in Wigan. They basically said that there was no point in them testing it as they knew it would fail on a crack in the front windscreen so advised me to get the window repaired then bring the car back to them for MOT.

The crack itself is about 6cm's long in the corner near the tax disk

So I left Honda and rang Autoglass knowing I had fully comp insurance and my excess was £75 which I am more than happy to pay if it means my window gets replaced. Autoglass stated that they work on behalf of about 98% of insurance companies, however do not work with mine so I would have to phone them direct.

I then rang Adrian Flux who advised me to ring Trinity Lane, my insurance company.

I rang them who stated they would pass the job onto Bolton Safety Glass who they work with and they will fix my window.

I then received a call from them who basically advised me that they don't stock the window and can't get hold of the windscreen in this country. They stated they can order one from Japan although the 'target delivery date' would be the 28th August (almost two months away) but this was not certain and it could be longer. Plus they would need my £75 excess up front before the window was ordered.

Now, knowing my luck and ordering parts from Japan, it will probably be a lot longer than this, which effectively means that I will be without my Integra for at least two months as I can't drive it without an MOT on it.

I'm absolutely gutted and don't know what to do for the best. Can anyone help?

oregato

Advanced Member
Sweeney said:
So, took my car for an MOT today at Honda in Wigan. They basically said that there was no point in them testing it as they knew it would fail on a crack in the front windscreen so advised me to get the window repaired then bring the car back to them for MOT.

The crack itself is about 6cm's long in the corner near the tax disk

So I left Honda and rang Autoglass knowing I had fully comp insurance and my excess was £75 which I am more than happy to pay if it means my window gets replaced. Autoglass stated that they work on behalf of about 98% of insurance companies, however do not work with mine so I would have to phone them direct.

I then rang Adrian Flux who advised me to ring Trinity Lane, my insurance company.

I rang them who stated they would pass the job onto Bolton Safety Glass who they work with and they will fix my window.

I then received a call from them who basically advised me that they don't stock the window and can't get hold of the windscreen in this country. They stated they can order one from Japan although the 'target delivery date' would be the 28th August (almost two months away) but this was not certain and it could be longer. Plus they would need my £75 excess up front before the window was ordered.

Now, knowing my luck and ordering parts from Japan, it will probably be a lot longer than this, which effectively means that I will be without my Integra for at least two months as I can't drive it without an MOT on it.

I'm absolutely gutted and don't know what to do for the best. Can anyone help?
Try a scrapyard around the area? there were a few for breaking around ireland..

raz786

Advanced Member
Failing that, get in contact with Dave Johnson on the forum and ask him how quickly he can get you a windscreen, price etc. Then get the Replacement guys to ring Dave and sort it out with him in terms of money etc.

Sweeney

raz786 said:
Failing that, get in contact with Dave Johnson on the forum and ask him how quickly he can get you a windscreen, price etc. Then get the Replacement guys to ring Dave and sort it out with him in terms of money etc.
Yeah, thanks for that. I'd noticed from some of the other threads regarding winscreens that he was the person to speak to. I'll drop him a PM. Cheers for that

sinbad

Advanced Member
Dave Johnson's a good idea, as is Integrastella on ebay as he's always breaking DC5's however you'll have to buy it outright from him. Do you not know a friendly MOT tester where you can show them the reciept its been paid for by the insurer's?

Oh and which one's yours then, ive seen a blue and another white one in wigan :D

Sweeney

sinbad said:
Dave Johnson's a good idea, as is Integrastella on ebay as he's always breaking DC5's however you'll have to buy it outright from him. Do you not know a friendly MOT tester where you can show them the reciept its been paid for by the insurer's?

Oh and which one's yours then, ive seen a blue and another white one in wigan :D

Yeah, i was thinking about integrastella, deffo worth a phone call. I'm going to see what i can do with local MOT testing stations, good idea.

As for my integra, It's a 52 plate white one, I live in Hindley Green. Saw a blue one drive past my house a few nights ago, looked really clean :)

sinbad

Advanced Member
Sweeney said:
As for my integra, It's a 52 plate white one, I live in Hindley Green. Saw a blue one drive past my house a few nights ago, looked really clean :)

Ahh course you do! I completely forgot i'd spoken to you on MCR-VTEC. #-o

The blue one lives in Shevington i think, i've seen it at a tyre place near the citroen garage too.
I've not seen your car in Hindley for a while now, must keep missing you. Will keep an eye out for you. 8)

Ezza

Advanced Member
I had this trouble when i needed to replace my windscreen! I specifically told the windscreen company that my car was a Integra DC5 and not a DC2, they confirmed they had all the correct parts etc. Come fitting down despite me taking a day off for this they arrived with a .........................DC2 windscreen ](*,) ](*,) . I got sooo annoyed that i call there customer service department and requested them to contact Dave Johnson who was more than happy to pass them the correct information. Fast forward a few days later the correct windscreen was fitted.

**WARNING** Make sure that they dont break the plastic side clips, the window company fitted both of my originals back but broke one side and the replacement was £44 unfortunately i didnt know until it flew off whilst driving down the motorway :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

trigger-21

Advanced Member
Ezza said:
I had this trouble when i needed to replace my windscreen! I specifically told the windscreen company that my car was a Integra DC5 and not a DC2, they confirmed they had all the correct parts etc. Come fitting down despite me taking a day off for this they arrived with a .........................DC2 windscreen ](*,) ](*,) . I got sooo annoyed that i call there customer service department and requested them to contact Dave Johnson who was more than happy to pass them the correct information. Fast forward a few days later the correct windscreen was fitted.

**WARNING** Make sure that they dont break the plastic side clips, the window company fitted both of my originals back but broke one side and the replacement was £44 unfortunately i didnt know until it flew off whilst driving down the motorway :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:
ive just gone through all this replacing my windscreen!!! 1st time autoglass turned up with a dc2 screen, then with what they said was the correct one, 2 weeks later, then the fitter would not fit the glass with out new side plastic trims!!!!, to which they told me would be the end of august till honda could get them.. i was gettin a bit angry now. then a week lata tuned up with new trim clips and a RSX front screen!! i couldnt believe it. i was then told that end of september for the correct screen. autoglass kept apologising and said nothing could be done, But last friday 1 week after they told me september a fitter turned up with the correct glass... so all sorted now..

honda automatically put parts on back order and tell people 2-3 months but it is never as long as they say...

chadwick

Advanced Member
i had this problem in my old cupra a small crack down the bottom corner of the windscreen , i knew a cracked windscreen was a mot fail so i bought a sticker to cover it and the mot garage never noticed it was cracked , duno if this helps or not

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I had no problem when i needed to get the screen changed on my DC5. When i rang autoglass they only said i had to wait about 2 days before they could come and do it. In the end the insurance wanted me to use RAC Auto Windscreens. Gave them a call and had it replaced 2 days later, so no problems aquiring a screen.

TommyDC5

Order a new one buddy and put a sticker over it. Get a big Paedo bear sticker over it or something!

Sweeney

This really is a nightmare. I'm going to see what Dave Johnson says before i go buying any windscreens. Bit worried now too about the plastic clips. I'd be soo angry if they broke those!!

On a more positive note, took the car to a local garage, explained the situation and showed him the crack and he said he would get it through the MOT so thats a bonus!

prezzas

any one got this dave johnsons number???
im having the same proble with auto windscreens at the mo. tried twice both times coming out with a dc2 screen
cheers

jammy84

Advanced Member
hey the 2 months delivery was what i was quoted for a wing mirror replacement

tell them to order the windscreen, the chances are itll arrive in 2/3weeks anyway if its from honda japan

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
prezzas said:
any one got this dave johnsons number???
im having the same proble with auto windscreens at the mo. tried twice both times coming out with a dc2 screen
cheers
01432 267154 :)

Sweeney

jammy84 said:
hey the 2 months delivery was what i was quoted for a wing mirror replacement

tell them to order the windscreen, the chances are itll arrive in 2/3weeks anyway if its from honda japan
Thats exactly what Dave Johnson said to me. The sooner you order it the quicker it will come. Chances are it will only be a couple of weeks. The estimated delivery time is worst case scenario. Ive noticed a few people saying the same thing on the forum. Mines ordered and paid for now (excess). The best thing about it is they have also ordered the side clips too in case they break :) bonus!

gregb

Advanced Member
Mine cracked today :x ,stone chip progressed to a 3in crack in 20kms,won't be doing much driving with that pace of deterioration!
Funny was just searching for some glass polish to buy over the week as the wiper marks are awful,especially in the Autumn sun.
Any Irish members had theirs replaced yet and had any delays/problems?
Will be watching the clips too as i had a garage break one on me before,saw it pop off in my rearview on the motorway :shock:.

Also is it possible to get the plastic strips off and on without breaking them or are they meant just to last as long as the windscreen till it needs replacing then they get replaced too,anyone?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
i bought this car off sweeney with the broken window but it had already been ordered so i just went and had it fitted when it finally arrived.

I guess it is possible to get the plastic trim off without breaking the clips if they are carefull, they had replacement trim for mine they so just pulled them off and put the new ones on, it took them almost 3 hours to change the screen :(

Its really nice to have a new screen tho, no scratches or nothing and the wipers work loads better :)

gregb

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
i bought this car off sweeney with the broken window but it had already been ordered so i just went and had it fitted when it finally arrived.

I guess it is possible to get the plastic trim off without breaking the clips if they are carefull, they had replacement trim for mine they so just pulled them off and put the new ones on, it took them almost 3 hours to change the screen :(

Its really nice to have a new screen tho, no scratches or nothing and the wipers work loads better :)

Thats it,clear glass at last,but jaysus did you leave them with the keys? 3 hours :eek: !
Did that include a teabreak?